GoldenEar Aon 2 Bookshelf Review

U

uhmeebuh

Audiophyte
Firs time caller, long time listener here at Audioholics :D

A short review and initial thoughts on my 3.1 setup with GoldenEar Aon 2 bookshelf speakers.

I had a big box setup before (Martin Logan Motion 4 L & R, Motion 6 C, and older Dynamo 500) in my apt and it worked just fine but was lacking in mids and imaging which hurt my HT experience. Dialog suffered and it just wasn't full sounding. My Dad needed a new setup at his place so they found a nice home and are a BIG step up for him....and a good excuse for me to get some new audio gear :D I started with a Marantz SR-5007 and I really like it for the price compared with my previous Pioneer Elite VSX-30.

Aon 2 Bookshelf Speakers

I went to all the local hi-fi store to try to listen to some bookshelves that would work in my particular setup (see below). My HT furniture allows me to use a matching center channel but since it's in a cabinet I had to be a bit picky with ports and setup. That ruled out some pretty nice bookshelves (PSB, Paradigm, etc). Based on size, imaging, mid-bass, and price, I narrowed it down to the KEF Q100s and the GoldenEar Aon 2s.

Setup
Crossover at 60 Hz, set to "small speakers" on the Marantz.

Imaging
I felt imaging was a bit better on the Q100s but both did a good job with sound placement. Win: Q100

Highs
Both had smooth highs that were clear without being sharp or harsh. Really, they were different in sound though. I do like the heil-type tweeters generally and they were quite nice in the Aons - what I expected and more. I heard details I didn't previously. But the larger tweeter on the Q100s (than most in this class) were quite nice as well. Win: Tie

Mid-Bass
Both have impressive mid-bass but the Aons sounded a bit better to me when tried at home. And that is what sold me. When I brought them home and set them up (Audyssey) the Aons just filled the room. I had inadvertantly turned off the sub and when the Aons where playing I thought it was - I was amazed! The passive radiators seem to work better here than in the GoldenEar sub (see below). Vocals sound MUCH better with the Aons and I can't wait until they break in. Win: Aon

Looks
The Aons certainly look different but I like them because of it. The Q100s look like everything else on the market. Win: Aons

The Aons are on hour ~20 of break in and should improve even more. If you need a solid pair of bookshelves and don't want to spend a lot, give these a look! GoldenEar does not sell over the internet but their pricing is good compared to many ID brands. BUT you will have to find a local dealer (and at least one of my local dealers was not very good).

ForceField 3 Subwoofer

I like to have my speakers match when possible but it isn't needed when it comes to subs. I decided for $499 I would give the GoldenEar ForceField 3 sub a try given it's *reported* frequency range and wattage. I set the crossover from 60 Hz and down on both the receiver and sub itself. "Volume" was set to 3 of 10 and is quite noticeable in the room. I played with location and direction without much of a difference (which I think support my thoughts below).

For it's size it is quite impressive but it just doesn't pressurize the room and is a bit boomy. My primary issue is around how different the bass is at different seating positions. Admittedly, my couch is 14 feet wide but it wasn't a problem for my ML Dynamo with 360 watts. I wonder how much it has to do with frequency due to the 8" speaker size. It can do it all well but nothing great and it is tough to beat for the price.

So, I'll be posting in the sub section to see if I pick up another one and put them between the towers and cabinet or just get a bigger sub and try to not piss off the neighbors. I wonder if the Forcefield 4 would do a better job...hard to say. In home trial is the only real way to find out...until then all of this is just speculation of an admitted novice :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis