GIK Acoustics 244 Sound Panel Review

S

ScottMayo

Audioholic
mike c said:
my ceiling heights is 9 feet 4"

if that dip is caused by the ceiling height, it should be the same wherever I put my sub right?

so how do I treat for this?
Furniture is a help with floor/ceiling modes. Thick throw rugs are some help. You can put traps and diffusers on the ceiling if necessary, add ceiling soffits... endless possibilities.

If the dip is caused by the floor/ceiling mode, changing your ear height will make a difference, and so might changing the sub height. But without absorption, it just moves things, it doesn't cure them.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I see. thanks a lot.

I'll re-measure when everything's there already.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
what happens if I take the panels and wrap them in some other cloth?
what if the cloth is thick and hard?

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
As a late comer I find this to be an interesting and extremely informative thread...I can't believe I actually read through all 23 pages at 3 a.m.

:eek:

I do have a question though.....

Since color choices are somewhat limited and the 'blending in' factor seems to be a warm subject with more than a couple of folks, can these panels and traps be covered (i.e. a 'slip') with a cloth material that is of a design I like for my particular room without effecting the performance of the product? In other words, can I make my own covers to go over the GIK factory covers without effecting the panels?

Last edited:
S

ScottMayo

Audioholic
I'm sure Glenn will respond, but in general, you can put a layer of an open weave cloth (cotton, burlap, but not polyester) in front of just about anything and make very little difference to the acoustics. The simple test: if you can breathe through it normally, it's ok. (This test will get you odd looks in fabric stores. Ask me how I know this.)

Some tighter cloths might conceivably reflect high frequencies, so I'd avoid recovering traps placed at first reflection points, if imaging is very important to you. Or I'd use burlap there - dyed burlap can be made pretty.

Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer

Full Audioholic
Ax-man,

> can I make my own covers to go over the GIK factory covers without effecting the panels? <

Better, for a small "up charge" Glenn offers a wider assortment of fabrics. I'll email Glenn now and let him know you're here asking about that.

--Ethan

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
Thank you ETHAN! :D

Sorry guys just been a bit over worked and have not been keeping up on this forum as I should!

Yes you can recover the panels, as Scott said or (as Ethan said) we do have other colors if you are looking for something different.

Glenn

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis