N

nooblet

Enthusiast
my budget to start is in the $500-$600 range .. I would eventually like to build up to a good, not over the top, 5.1 - 7.1 .. the room is approx. 20' x 20'.. as far as equipment goes, I have a Yamaha YST-SW012 sub and that's it .. pretty much starting from scratch ..

I'm thinking a receiver and two front speakers to start? any recommendations within my budget?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
You may have a shot if you're near a Frys and move before the sale ends because it looks like Frys may still have Infinity's P363 towers on sale for $260/pr (in store only). For the receiver I'd go with a Denon AVR-1712 which World Wide Stereo has on sale via ebay for $260. WWS is a factory authorized dealer but I'm not sure how ebay effects that if at all. It's a good little receiver that only lacks network functionality. That's a pretty darn good system for $520.

Later you can add the matching PC351 center ($200), P153 ($110ea) bookshelves for surrounds, and a better sub.

Credit to KEW for the original Fry's find.

Last edited:
N

nooblet

Enthusiast
thanks for the responses .. I was looking at the Denon AVR-1712 and will most likely go w/ it .. unfortunately, I don't live near a Fry's .. so the speaker hunt will continue .. I may just find the extra $$$ for the P363's

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
thanks for the responses .. I was looking at the Denon AVR-1712 and will most likely go w/ it .. unfortunately, I don't live near a Fry's .. so the speaker hunt will continue .. I may just find the extra $$$ for the P363's
Road trip? :D

N

nooblet

Enthusiast
haha .. closest one: 708 mi, 12 hours 4 mins .. I'd have my 7.1 in gas money

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would still keep the Boston's on a short list. This is not the old
CR and CS series speakers.

Last edited:
runswithscisors

runswithscisors

Audioholic
Just a completely off track thought, but haow about a HTIB system. Replace components as $$$ allows, and when you are done, you have a HTIB system to put in a bedroom or sell. Instead of spending $600 on a receiver and speakers that you will probably end up replacing later on anyway.

N

nooblet

Enthusiast
Just a completely off track thought, but haow about a HTIB system. Replace components as $$$ allows, and when you are done, you have a HTIB system to put in a bedroom or sell. Instead of spending $600 on a receiver and speakers that you will probably end up replacing later on anyway.
yeah .. was thinking about that too .. and looking at the Denon DHT1513BA 5.1

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It's a way to get things done over time (Onkyo and Denon only) but only if you must have 5.1 right this minute. I've suggested one myself for someone insisting on an all at once $400 5.1 system or $600 7.1 but while the receiver is pretty decent the speakers aren't very good. Yes you can move them into the bedroom (not a bad idea) but you're still replacing stuff. The piece together 2.0/2.1 idea is a far better way to go if you have the patience because you're adding to it not replacing it.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
^^^^
yeah .. was thinking about that too .. and looking at the Denon DHT1513BA 5.1
I agree with sholling, I would aim higher - and start at least with
a good 2.0 system. And, it is possible!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers