Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Well, I find myself visiting AH less and less each day, anyone else starting to do this?

I dont want to bash the forums, but I dont think it has enough variety or an eye catching look to it.

Take a look at this forum that I am a regular to, 1,000+ posts :)

http://forums.pcapex.com/results/90155-congrats_suasdu_e6400_world_record_4_a.html#post589820

Sig's and avatar's, Reputation bars, awards, I think that would keep the site more interesting and attract more members.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think AH is going for that style. This is a more professional forum, that attracts people using knowledgeable members and good Admins, not flashing lights. There is rep bars here, as well as avatars and sigs.

Awards would be cool though. :)

SheepStar

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I meant sigs as in pictures, banners, Helps ya show off who you are a little easier.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Wafflesomd said:
I meant sigs as in pictures, banners, Helps ya show off who you are a little easier.
Oh, that was discussed a while ago (year maybe?) only one member wanted them. It was agreed that it would ugly-up the forum.

SheepStar

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I think part of it is that people are sitting on their hands waiting for all the new technology coming down the line.

1080p is here and finally the TVs are including 1080p capable HDMI.
HDMI 1.3 has been announced so until it becomes widely available I don't many will be making any major upgrades.
We have argued the Blu-Ray / HD-DVD to a point where most are tired of hearing about it.
Manufacturers have announced new products (most have not hit the market yet.)

So yes it may seem a bit boring, but I don't think it is AH fault.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Bored

It's called information overload! Sometimes it's better to forget about the equipment for awhile and talk about the movies and music, which is why we buy the interesting equipment after all! Another true axiom: wanting sometimes is better than getting. You'll notice that after you get that "magic" piece of equipment that you're sure will absolutely turn your system into audio/video paradise and after you lay down your hard earned pennies, install the thing, (it sure looks beautifull doesn't it?) you realize that : wanting "it", getting "it", installing "it", was more enjoyable than to actually having "it"! Start playing music or watch some movies you haven't heard or seen in a long (really long) time, it refocuses why you like this hobby to begin with......it works for me. I hadn't seen Forbidden Planet in ages, it's such a good movie, I stopped thinking about the "mechanics" of the whole process (sorround, crossovers, blah, blah, blah)and enjoyed a movie that's 50 years old, it's still great entertainment, without thinking about it's shortcomings and how great it could sound with differernt sound processing, etc., etc. I've notice that sometimes we let the hardware become the only reason for the enjoyment of the hobby.

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
How many "What should I buy threads?" can you read?

Yes I've been visiting less.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've hit rock-solid.....It's getting rough!!!!

Lately I've been playing more guitar than fidgeting with my HT, I'm a little burned out. Listening to a lot of Steely Dan, especially the early stuff...Seeing old movies again, (what flipped me over the edge was V for Vendetta, what a load of crap, I can't believe I spent 15.00 on that!):rolleyes:

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wafflesomd said:
...I find myself visiting AH less and less each day, anyone else starting to do this?
rgriffin25 said:
I think part of it is that people are sitting on their hands waiting for all the new technology coming down the line...
I'm not so sure. I still visit, but certainly post less than I used to. Is it because Audioholics has become boring? I don't think so. I think most folk probably go through the following 'evolution' during their time here.

• People accidentally stumble upon the forum after Googling something or another;
  • They start reading some of the posts/use the search function/read some of Audioholics' papers;
  • They're amazed at what a great (free) resource this site is and stick around to ask questions and contribute where they may;
  • Over time they learn all sorts of useful information that helps them extract that much more performance from their system, whether it be audio or video orientated;
  • Eventually they've learned enough to (approximately) sate their audio/video thirst and they begin to notice how repetative many questions are, even though they themselves probably asked the very same ones way back when. At this point they visit less and/or post less and/or start a thread about why Audioholics appears to have lost some of its lustre. :D

rgriffin25 said:
...it may seem a bit boring, but I don't think it is AH fault.
I agree. :) If someone thinks the site is boring or becoming so, let them take the initiative and do something about it rather than wait upon others to do just that.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
rgriffin25 said:
So yes it may seem a bit boring, but I don't think it is AH fault.
Well said.

Boredom, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I too find myself being here less. I come when I need some advice on setting up or buying a piece of equipment. After a while though, you get your system tweaked and get the right equipment and start enjoying it instead of talking about it. One will go crazy constantly in search of perfection in the AV world. You can never keep up. And it costs money all the time to change and upgrade.

It's also a great time for sports. Baseball playoffs and of course, hockey has started so us Canadians are into that more than A/V. Well at least I am. I am on HF Boards for my favorite team, the Edmonton Oilers more than I am here.

I also think there was some truth to a previous post where we are all waiting for the next generation of HD and will be back for advice later.

It seems there are so many posts of people asking what to buy when most of us asked those questions before too. Just new guys who are getting into the AV world so we can't come down on them for asking the same questions we did. But, people should use the search option more. Agreed.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I'm definitely not on here as much. It may be the lack of heated debates in the steam vent. There's some smart cookies here, and many do a great job debating. I miss that. It's too bad politics and religion can't be discussed any longer. I still post great deals on A/V in the Deals section. Hopefully newbies are jumping on that equipment.

I've lately been in the buying mood, but passed on an opportunity to purchase an XBOX 360 for $299. I was in the store, cash in hand, and just couldn't bring myself to buy it. The games just weren't what I was looking for. I guess I'll have to wait for Wii or PS3.

I did pick up a new 37" LCD HD set this morning. As expected, the HD feed is perfect, but the SD feed is not what my old 36" Toshiba CRT brought to the table. And since most of my 165 channels are SD, I'm really anxious for some more HD channels, as well as prime time/weekend sports.

I'm still sitting on this 20% off SVS coupon, and lost hope for the new 14" Ultra driver to hit the website. I'm going to have to settle for a Plus/2, so that will be my next A/V purchase. We do need an end table, so what the heck.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I'm definitely not posting as much as I used to...

SheepStar

D

davo

Full Audioholic
They say boring people are bored easily. I usually end up checking out technical info, and contemplating how to solve the 'all channels driven problem'.
Maybe A/h can do their own power/distortion test and when the graph gets to a certain gradient that is what the rated power is. Im sure I used to know a formula that could have expressed it in a neat little packet. Maybe making the power /distortion graphs (20hz-20khz) mandatory on all audio products could go a long way to stopping manufacturers putting out dodgy figures.

Just a thought.:)

Couple things of interest:

1) Audioholics will be announcing "Version 2.0" around the end of the year. New look, new navigation, new features.
2) We will be adding membership options with lots of value added (not taking anything away or making people pay for anything they get for free now)
3) Podcasts are coming, and so are "how-to" videos
4) Live broadcasting from tradeshows is in the works...
5) We will be ~tripling the number of reviews we do in 2007. Lots of budget item reviews are coming...
6) This is just the TIP of what's coming this year (2007).

It's getting pretty exciting around here for us.

Hopefully that will stir up some people (especially since we'll be looking out for more news/blog writers and people we can get to participate on a higher level in the site.) I'd like to pull in these new people from the forums rather than solicit for them elsewhere.

PS. Blame Gene for not letting us debate in the religious and political threads. Once that happened everything got a lot more boring... lol.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hopefully that will stir up some people (especially since we'll be looking out for more news/blog writers and people we can get to participate on a higher level in the site.) I'd like to pull in these new people from the forums rather than solicit for them elsewhere.
What exactly would these people be writing about?

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I should just start a thread on how awesome Theater Research and Bose speakers are just to kick things up a notch.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis