Getting back into home theater

G

Galaxy_Stranger

Audiophyte
Howdy ho!

I haven't had a home theater in about 20+ years and I'm starting to do homework on building a home theater for my living room. So, I need advice on what to start reading about.

The room is about 30'x30'. At 15', the kitchen starts. I'm sure the acoustics would normally be considered a challenge, but I'm not that persnickety. Whoever's in a corner chopping broccoli doesn't need perfectly reproduced hoof clops during Raiders of the Lost Ark. I just want a nice, full sound for movies and occasionally music. So, there's constraint number one. Number two is that I've got my dad's 45-year-old Bose 901s. I want to use those to base the rest of the system around. They handle mids ok, but they need to be supplemented with something that can provide highs and then, obviously, a sub-woofer. I'm also going to have them refurbished.

The 901s need about 100 watts per channel. Right now, I've got them hooked up to a 35 watt NAD, (also ancient). I'm thinking these could use their own stereo amp, then I can put everything else on a 5.1 surround receiver or something.

I could live with putting dialog through the two main speakers and do without a center speaker. Wireless rear speakers would be an interesting idea.

I was thinking less than $500 for the receiver - maybe factory refurbished. I'm going to use a PC as sound and video source and I want to daisy-chain them to the TV via HDMI.

Any thoughts? What products should I read up on? I really have no idea what these new amps and receivers can do.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sorry, but trying to incorporate the 901s seriously limits anything you can do. You can add a subwoofer to supplement the low end and add a AVR to equalize the sound, but adding something to supplement the highs is a major project that just isn't worth doing on account of those speakers. If you like the speakers, put them in a two channel setup somewhere else in the house and do not try to build a home theater out of them. They weren't built with modern home theater applications in mind. I think they might make OK surround speakers but I would not use them for front stage speakers.

G

Galaxy_Stranger

Audiophyte
How is adding a couple of speakers a major project?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Trying to match tweeters with 901s would be a major hassle for a lot of reasons. You have to match its dispersion, and you have to manage the crossover point between the two speakers. Otherwise it will sound goofy. Because the 901 is such a 'unique' design, that is not an easy task.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
How is adding a couple of speakers a major project?
The 901s have a design that is significantly different from most speakers. Generally, the same brand of speaker is a good start to having a smooth front LCR stage. This is especially true in your case, because it is difficult to find another speaker that will play well with such a different design.

You may want to keep the 901s as a stereo setup, and then use different speakers for your home theater.

Also, welcome to the forum!!

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
If I remember the 901's correctly they also require the Bose EQ, while they are decent enough I can't imagine incorporating them into an HT, not even if you tried to use 5 of them plus a sub.

Starting from scratch makes it easier to get the sound accurate. My brother tried to use his 35 year old Bose speakers in an HT, didn't sound very good as nothing he picked matched well with them so he uses them in a 2 channel setup in his office.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If I remember the 901's correctly they also require the Bose EQ, while they are decent enough I can't imagine incorporating them into an HT, not even if you tried to use 5 of them plus a sub.

Starting from scratch makes it easier to get the sound accurate. My brother tried to use his 35 year old Bose speakers in an HT, didn't sound very good as nothing he picked matched well with them so he uses them in a 2 channel setup in his office.
Dude, this is almost 3 years old. I think OP might not respond...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
True indeed. But it's still an opportunity to suggest using all that BLOSE mdf to start a fire.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis