Getting Atmos Ready

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
So my theater room is finally almost finished. Soundproof door going up today and carpet comes in later this week. Hang some wall panels and a screen and I am ready for speakers. When I first started looking in March I was only thinking 7.1 system, but Atmos has got me interested and now I am considering throwing 4 speakers into the ceiling. My ceiling is open to the attic so its a really easy take to add wires up there and to drop in speakers wherever.

Room is 13' x 19' w/9' ceilings.

I am planning on buying a Denon x5200 so I can support 7.1.4. I am already pre-wired for 7.1 and the locations of those match Atmos perfectly. I need to add the .4 and that I can do easily. Now for the hard part. This whole thing has my budget jumping all over, and I want something that complements well together.

So please give me a recommendation on a 5k to 10k max speakers only system that is 7.1.4. I really need help on the ceiling speakers since I have no point of reference for them. This system is going to be 99% home theater movies only. It would be really awesome to see Audioholics do one of their classic 5k or 10k reviews with the new Atmos or Auro 3D in mind. I know the tech is new so its bound to happen sooner or later. I am in the market now though and need to make a decision soon. Thanks Everyone.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Hi blcskate. With that healthy audio budget I'm surprised you haven't been overrun with suggestions yet! :D

OK, I'll begin with a few recommendations for a high performance 7.1.4 system for movie dominant use, since that's ultimately what you want. Then I'll jot down a few random musings about Atmos in general, that you can ignore if you want to. ;)

• Bonecrushing performance | $10K:
Subs: 2 X JTR Captivator S1 = $4560
LCR: 3 X JTR Noesis 228HT = $3705
Surrounds, rears & Atmos: 4 pair X JBL 8320 Compact Cinema = $1980
TOTAL (with 5% JTR discount) = $10245 + shipping

• New kid on the block | $7.5K:
Subs: 4 X Reaction Audio PS-15X = $2850
LCR: 3 X Reaction Audio CX-10 = $1710
Surrounds & rears: 4 X Reaction Audio CX-8 = $1900
Atmos: Contact Reaction Audio for options in the pipeline or suggestions.
For now, allow for 2 pair X JBL 8320 Compact Cinema = $990
TOTAL (with 5% R/A discount) = $7450 + JBL shipping

• Active accuracy | $6K:*
Subs: 2 X Rythmik Audio F15 Direct Servo = $1940
LCR: 3 X Emotiva Pro Stealth 8 = $2020
Surrounds & rears: 4 X Emotiva Pro Stealth 6 = $1440
Atmos: 2 pair X Emotiva Pro Airmotiv 5s = $630
TOTAL (with 10% E-Club discount) = $6030 shipped
* Plus electrician. :cool:

Out of those options, quite honestly for your size room my pick would be the last one. If it were me I'd add another two F15's (one for each corner or mid-wall) bringing the total to about $8K. You would also need to pull through XLR terminated cable in lieu of the speaker wire already in place.

In terms of ceiling speakers for the new "3D" sound formats, my main takeaway would be not to overspend on them... I just don't think the amount or type of content directed to them will be worth spending a lot on them. (I'm not entirely comfortable that the recommendations above aren't overspending to an extent.) Having said that, you should aim for roughly the same type of tweeter to ensure at least a respectable timbre match to other speakers. For example, you could substitute something from Martin Logan with their folded diaphragm for the Airmotivs, if the idea of powered ceiling speakers doesn't appeal. Looking forward to the 3D sound formats, it would be smart to at least identify that a line of speakers under consideration for the "bottom" seven has reasonable options for the "tops" later on. Aim-able tweeters would also be an advantage.

I actually believe that the next couple of years will be great for buying a Not-an-Atmos AVR/processor. :eek: For a few reasons:

1. There's no native content yet (AFAIK). (To be fair though, the new "Dolby Surround" mode will up-mix content to all available speakers.)
  2. The Auro-3D and DTS-UHD formats are still a way off for consumer level processors. It's possible that two or three formats will be readily available on AVR's in a few short years.
  3. There's no unified speaker layout that encompasses the three formats yet.
  4. There will be bargains around on lightly used upper-end AVR's and processors as early adopters trade them in for Atmos enabled units. Or alternately, recently superseded new units remaining on the shelf. This is evidenced by the recent sale of new Denon AVR-4520CI's for $1000.
Anyway, that's about all I've got for now. Hope it helped. :)

Edit: See point 2. above. Seems Auro-3D and DTS-UHD will be available on higher end Denons next year. -> http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/91969-cedia-2014-dolby-atmos-auro-3d-demo-experiences-3.html#post1052295. Happy to be corrected on point 3. above as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
Great recommendations. I have not done much research on Emotiva from a speakers perspective. I am very aware of their amps. I know there is a lack of content right now for Atmos and that the competitors are still working on their options, but I am okay with that. I don't mind buying another receiver in a couple years. Really I just want a mind blowing performance for day one. I would love for the new Transformers w/Atmos to be my first title. I have had a few theaters now, but my goal with this one is simply to shock people. The last thing I want is another Best Buy 10k theater that sounds like crap and is way overpriced. I plan to hire a local theater company to do all of the professional setup (orlando area), but I really want to have an intimate knowledge of everything going in my room and I enjoy the research and time spent discussing equipment.

As for the subs. Really 2 to 4 subs won't be overkill for that room? I am totally fine doing more :) I figured two of the captivators would make my ears bleed. One other sucky requirement is that I have to go with center under the screen. I simply don't have the wall space with the way the entrance was built. I know it is sub-optimal. In your front three above. Would you stay with the same and just angle up the center or lay it sideways, or would you buy a dedicated matching center from the respective companies?

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
So after looking at all three recommendations above. I would have to choose the Bone-crushing for not so obvious reason. They look like pro speakers. I know looks don't always translate to performance and I wouldn't buy on that alone, but I also don't want something that looks like I picked up in a garage sale for 30 bucks. I would gladly spend a few extra bucks to have something that is high quality and at least somewhat decent in appearance. My room is going to be filled with them and I don't want them being a major eyesore.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Great recommendations. I have not done much research on Emotiva from a speakers perspective. I am very aware of their amps. I know there is a lack of content right now for Atmos and that the competitors are still working on their options, but I am okay with that. I don't mind buying another receiver in a couple years. Really I just want a mind blowing performance for day one. I would love for the new Transformers w/Atmos to be my first title. I have had a few theaters now, but my goal with this one is simply to shock people. The last thing I want is another Best Buy 10k theater that sounds like crap and is way overpriced.
Glad you liked the recommendations. There's a lot to like about the Emo Steaths: accurate, adjustable, compact, high SPL capable and the equivalent of an XPA-2 built in (8's). To me, this is very impressive:

[video=youtube;DawHV_wFiIo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DawHV_wFiIo[/video]​

I plan to hire a local theater company to do all of the professional setup (orlando area), but I really want to have an intimate knowledge of everything going in my room and I enjoy the research and time spent discussing equipment.
Great to be armed with knowledge! When you get started with the installers, you can keep coming back here to check that they're not spinning you any yarns (aka B/S).

As for the subs. Really 2 to 4 subs won't be overkill for that room? I am totally fine doing more :) I figured two of the captivators would make my ears bleed.
The idea of multiple subs not so much for additional SPL (although an average increase of 3dB can be expected each time the number is doubled), but to provide the opportunity for a more uniform and smooth bass response over a larger listening area. For a given master volume setting, 4 subs will produce the same resultant SPL at the listening position as a single one (assuming it's not compassing), but all 4 will be sharing the load and operating with greater headroom (reserve capability). Audyssey XT32+SubEQ-HT will do a very good job of setting up 2 or more subs.

One other sucky requirement is that I have to go with center under the screen. I simply don't have the wall space with the way the entrance was built. I know it is sub-optimal. In your front three above. Would you stay with the same and just angle up the center or lay it sideways, or would you buy a dedicated matching center from the respective companies?
Centre channels shouldn't be a problem. For the JTR's it's a matter of telling Jeff (owner/designer/builder) that you want to use one as a horizontal centre and he will rotate the HF horn 90º. The Reactions use a Radian coaxial speaker (the HF compression driver fires through the motor of the woofer), so it's simply a matter of laying it on it's side for a centre. As for the Emo's, I think those need to be placed vertically and aimed upward to ear level.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
So after looking at all three recommendations above. I would have to choose the Bone-crushing for not so obvious reason. They look like pro speakers. I know looks don't always translate to performance and I wouldn't buy on that alone, but I also don't want something that looks like I picked up in a garage sale for 30 bucks. I would gladly spend a few extra bucks to have something that is high quality and at least somewhat decent in appearance. My room is going to be filled with them and I don't want them being a major eyesore.
Yes, fellas don't often buy JTR speakers for their looks! :D They buy them because they love the sound, their build quality, and the bulletproof high performance (98dB/1W/1m sensitivity; 1200Wrms power handling) of high grade pro-derived components. JTR use top notch BMS compression drivers, 18sounds horns, custom Eminence woofers and premium crossover parts. If it helps, a range of custom veneers is available at moderate extra cost. Matching pedestal stands are also available, for the look of a tower speaker.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
What's happening @blcskate? Interested to know how your speaker quest is going. ;)

Here's another new-ish contender worth investigating: POWER SOUND AUDIO | Speakers

A system comprising the 2 X MTM-210’s and MTM-210c for LCR, 4 X MT-210’s for surrounds and rears, and 2 X XS30se subs comes to $6400 shipped in the PSA shopping cart. For Atmos, add 2 pairs of the JBL 8320’s for $990 plus shipping, and you have another high performance option smack in the middle of your price range.

Power Sound Audio Enters the Loudspeaker Arena (MT-110 and MTM-210) | HomeTheaterShack.com

Official Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread | AVS Forum

C'mon fellas... there must be more recommendations for a budding Audioholic wanting to spend up to $10K on a 7.1.4 setup? :D

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
I am really liking the Power Sound system. I am a bit concerned about the horn. I hate Klipsch speakers so I guess it scares me off a bit. I don't see any reviews on these yet, but the specs look great. I am going to wait a week or two since there are several people who seemingly just ordered these and I want to see what they think before placing my own order.

R

rramacha

Junior Audioholic
Hello All

I am in same boat looking for Atmos speakers. Did any of you decide which ones to go with. Any recommendations?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis