Getting a new setup and need help

J

Jman3845

Enthusiast
So im new to home theater and have a whole system im wanting to build but not sure how grest itll go together and wanting to know if it'll all work correctly.

Receiver is
Sony - 1015W 7.2-Ch. 4K Ultra HD and 3D Pass-Through A/V

Subwoofer is polk audio psw505

Floor speakers-2 polk audio s55

Bookshelf- 4 polk audio s20

Center speaker- polk s35

All speakers are 8 ohm and receiver is 6 ohm 145 rms watts per channel. Should this all mesh pretty well together? I know receiver is not the best but will upgrade later on. Thanks in advance.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
yes these components will work together. just wondering total budget. The psw505 is ok for the money, but does sound a little boomy if crossed over too high, and has extension to about 27hz then falls off. The polk speakers will probably sound ok but it would be good to know budget, room size, and intended purpose, such as music vs movie, etc.
Also, a better avr for the money can be found here.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

J

Jman3845

Enthusiast
yes these components will work together. just wondering total budget. The psw505 is ok for the money, but does sound a little boomy if crossed over too high, and has extension to about 27hz then falls off. The polk speakers will probably sound ok but it would be good to know budget, room size, and intended purpose, such as music vs movie, etc.
Also, a better avr for the money can be found here.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

I heard a lot better reviews for the psw505 so im deciding that over the next gen sub. Do you think the newer one would be better? I also have a 4k samsung 8500 tv so i heard i need a 4k receiver. The sony is the only 7.2 4k receiver ive found for around 300$ that around my budget for a receiver currently. Total for the whole system i mentioned is about $1500 by the way this is for a living room setup

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure about newer polk subs, but I have a 505 as a mid bass module in my system, and it is ok. User reviews are generous, as most are by folks who don't have experience with better, linear subs. I will look at allocation for other avenues tomorrow while i'm awake. Also, I will again recommend the link to accessories4less.com
I'm not a fan of sony receivers, and I would recommend browsing at A4L. Great discounts on better brands, with the features you want. IMO, the power rating on the sony is a typo, or overrated. have a look at this.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs720w/denon-avr-s720w-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

J

Jman3845

Enthusiast
Not sure about newer polk subs, but I have a 505 as a mid bass module in my system, and it is ok. User reviews are generous, as most are by folks who don't have experience with better, linear subs. I will look at allocation for other avenues tomorrow while i'm awake. Also, I will again recommend the link to accessories4less.com
I'm not a fan of sony receivers, and I would recommend browsing at A4L. Great discounts on better brands, with the features you want. IMO, the power rating on the sony is a typo, or overrated. have a look at this.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs720w/denon-avr-s720w-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html
Ill definitely look at that link and see if theres another 4k receiver around the same price. Thanks again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The only way that Sony avr could be considered 1015W is vivid marketing imagination :) That the Sony STR-DH770 I see advertised that way at Best Buy? The 145wch rating is likely only a 1 or 2 channel driven rating at 6 ohms maybe the 1khz rating at 1% distortion, too. I see Crutchfield say it's 90w/ch in stereo mode into 8 ohm at .09%THD 20-20kHz, which sounds more like it at that price point. In any case power among receivers only varies a few dB and isn't that important depending on the speakers you want to use. Your speakers' are indicated as 8 ohm compatible and mains 90dB sensitive, the others a little less so most avrs wouldn't have a problem driving them.

What's your sub budget? I'd not get a Polk sub particularly (and it doesn't need to match by brand)

J

Jman3845

Enthusiast
The only way that Sony avr could be considered 1015W is vivid marketing imagination :) That the Sony STR-DH770 I see advertised that way at Best Buy? The 145wch rating is likely only a 1 or 2 channel driven rating at 6 ohms maybe the 1khz rating at 1% distortion, too. I see Crutchfield say it's 90w/ch in stereo mode into 8 ohm at .09%THD 20-20kHz, which sounds more like it at that price point. In any case power among receivers only varies a few dB and isn't that important depending on the speakers you want to use. Your speakers' are indicated as 8 ohm compatible and mains 90dB sensitive, the others a little less so most avrs wouldn't have a problem driving them.

What's your sub budget? I'd not get a Polk sub particularly (and it doesn't need to match by brand)
I did notice crutchfield said it was rated at 90 as well which i thought seemed more likely as well. Honestly id like to try and stay all same brand and im kinda partial to polk since ive had their products before and always loved the sound. I am open to other brands for a subwoofer though. Id mainly just like to keep all the other speakers the same. Only problem is finding a 4k receiver in the $300 price range im looking for. Would the sony power all those well enough for the time being till i can get a nicer onkyo or yamaha? I dont like taking advice from the guys at best buy lol by the way my budget for a subwoofer would be $250 and max $300

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The Sony will definitely power the polkies just fine, although I still like the denon better. Also if you have a preference for the Polk speakers, then go for it. Many others do too. I probably didn't clearly say it earlier, but I definitely agree with HD about not getting a Polk sub. Having direct experience with them, and also real subwoofers, it's just not money that's well spent. How big is the room? What is the seating distance? That'll help determine how much subwoofer you really need.

J

Jman3845

Enthusiast
The Sony will definitely power the polkies just fine, although I still like the denon better. Also if you have a preference for the Polk speakers, then go for it. Many others do too. I probably didn't clearly say it earlier, but I definitely agree with HD about not getting a Polk sub. Having direct experience with them, and also real subwoofers, it's just not money that's well spent. How big is the room? What is the seating distance? That'll help determine how much subwoofer you really need.
Im not big on the sony either but its just to get me by till i can spend around $800 on a nicer receiver. Its not a huge living room but not real small. Im working on building a theater in my basement soon so it will be a much larger area roughly 20x20 room size. What other suggestions do you have on subs? I currently have an 8" polk sub that sounds amazing to me but i definitely am in need of something larger like a 10" or 12"

J

Jman3845

Enthusiast
Ive found a factory refurbished
Martin Logan Dynamo 500 10 Inch for 289. Would that be a much better subwoofer than the polk?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Im not big on the sony either but its just to get me by till i can spend around $800 on a nicer receiver. Its not a huge living room but not real small. Im working on building a theater in my basement soon so it will be a much larger area roughly 20x20 room size. What other suggestions do you have on subs? I currently have an 8" polk sub that sounds amazing to me but i definitely am in need of something larger like a 10" or 12"
Heads up, you'll want to try and make sure not to build a square room for a theater when you get to that point.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I could maybe save for this but the rest are way out of my price range unfortunately. Id love to have an SVS sub though.
I hear that loud and clear! That rsl looks pretty good in the price range I think your at.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis