P

Philip

Enthusiast
I just bought a Panasonic PT50DL54 TV with the following modes;

480I
480P
720P
1080I

I believe the 1080I is HDTV and I would need a HDTV signal to watch the TV at this resolution. My DVD player (Panasonic DVD-F87S ) will output 480I or 480P.

I am wondering how do I get the 720P signal? Do I need a better DVD player or special DVD's or something else?

Thanks

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
If I'm not mistaken some of the newer DVD players have a function called up-converting that makes the signal 1080i.

Paul

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Actually, it was my understanding that 480i is standard tv, and that 480p 720p, and 1080i are *all* HD signals. Typically (at least with my stuff), you need to set the TV to the HD signal you'll be sending it, as well as setting the DVD player to the signal you'll be sending. Also, even though a player may upsample, not all signals can be sent by the same connections: theoretically, my TV is 1080i compatible and my DVD player will send a 720p or 1080i signal-but only over the DVI-D or HDMI link...and my TV has no higher resolution connection than component. Consequently, I watch movies at 480p (which is still much better than the regular signal).

So to answer your question (finally): 480p is HD and your tv supports it-good for you; but unless your TV upsamples that signal to 720p or 1080i thats the best you're going to get without buying a new DVD player.

BRyan...sorry 'bout that...

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Some HDTVs do not have a very good internal scaler. These upconvert dvd players don't really "upconvert", they are designed to scale the image to your TVs resolution. i.e.1080i or 720p.

720p is one of the HD formats. Some networks (ESPN, ABC, FOX) broadcast their programing in 720p. 720p is believed to be a better choice for sporting events (fast movement). If your TV does not accept a 720p signal it will scale it to 1080i. (Many of the earlier HD sets were not 720p capable.)

*Sorry if this sounds confusing, its finals week! :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis