Genesis Maestro Floorstanding Speakers Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Genesis Advanced Technologies has updated their V series speaker, now dubbed the "Maestro", for those who want a state-of the-art speaker system and have the money to pay for it. This 5-way design packs nine drivers in a modestly-sized tower speaker and projects sound in a full dipole dispersion pattern. Each driver segment has its own enclosure compartment, and the four 8" bass drivers are amplified with an onboard 500 watt amp. With Servo-controlled bass drivers, ring-radiator ribbon tweeters, open-baffle mid-range driver, there is a lot going on in the Maestro, but those who meet the price of admission will likely demand a product that pushes the edges of conventional loudspeaker design.

Read: Genesis Maestro Floorstanding Speakers Preview

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Sorry but unless these cabinets are full of flawless diamonds I fail to see the price justification, other than economy of scale. For comparison, a fully loaded Camry is still cheaper than a pair of these. If that's what Genesis wants to build then fair enough but how many of your readers can even consider such a system, so why feature it here.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sure it is very expensive, but I think products like this speaker still merit articles if only to discuss speaker design, not necessarily for someone who has $30k burning a hole in their pocket know that they can rush out and buy something like this. The ideas and approaches of the design will still be of interest to those who might not be able to afford these speakers.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry but unless these cabinets are full of flawless diamonds I fail to see the price justification, other than economy of scale. For comparison, a fully loaded Camry is still cheaper than a pair of these. If that's what Genesis wants to build then fair enough but how many of your readers can even consider such a system, so why feature it here.
Camry buyers are unlikely to be in the market for $30K/pair speakers. You'd be surprised at how many members are successful enough to spend this much. A pair of B&W 800D3s are even more expensive. Compared to boats, planes, and fun cars, audio is a cheap thrill.

Just FYI, a fully loaded Camry V6 is about $35K.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Realize that Toyota mass produces the Camry which brings the cost way down and there is also obviously a lot more markup in loudspeakers than there is in automobiles. Dealers make a large portion of their $$$ in service for the most part. Speakers usually don't require much service in comparison. Over a 10 year period, the Genesis speakers will be significantly less money to own than a Camry, and arguably way more fun.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Camry buyers are unlikely to be in the market for $30K/pair speakers. You'd be surprised at how many members are successful enough to spend this much. A pair of B&W 800D3s are even more expensive. Compared to boats, planes, and fun cars, audio is a cheap thrill.

Successful enough to spend that much, but also perhaps wise enough NOT to spend that much.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Successful enough to spend that much, but also perhaps wise enough NOT to spend that much.
The market for products like this is not made up of people worried about expenditures at this level. How much do you worry about $30K if your investable assets are $20M? A person with $20M probably doesn't know their investable value to within $30K.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The market for products like this is not made up of people worried about expenditures at this level. How much do you worry about $30K if your investable assets are $20M? A person with $20M probably doesn't know their investable value to within $30K.
Gotcha. But, my point was--just because I could afford something doesn't mean that I will afford something.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic

You're right, I would be surprised if that number is over 1% but maybe I'm wrong.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Agreed. My comment was only meant to illustrate that this sort of product is likely unobtainable for the vast majority of the Audioholics community.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Sure it is very expensive, but I think products like this speaker still merit articles if only to discuss speaker design, not necessarily for someone who has $30k burning a hole in their pocket know that they can rush out and buy something like this. The ideas and approaches of the design will still be of interest to those who might not be able to afford these speakers.
Respectfully disagree. I didn't see anything unprecedented in the design. I'm not saying this isn't an incredible product. I actually suspect it is, but I believe that is more due to a great amount of attention to already existing concepts than the creation of anything revolutionary. From a strictly financial perspective I can afford them, I just don't see the value.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Realize that Toyota mass produces the Camry which brings the cost way down and there is also obviously a lot more markup in loudspeakers than there is in automobiles. Dealers make a large portion of their $$$ in service for the most part. Speakers usually don't require much service in comparison. Over a 10 year period, the Genesis speakers will be significantly less money to own than a Camry, and arguably way more fun.
Understood. That's what I meant by "economies of scale."

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You're right, I would be surprised if that number is over 1% but maybe I'm wrong.
You're probably not far off, but that's not the point. What that 1% spends is at least 10x what a typical member spends, so they might be worth something like 10% of the market by dollar volume. Also, for a lot of people products like this are aspirational, as are those Status Acoustics monsters Gene runs, but it is a lot of fun having things to aspire to. Frankly, it gets old to have every thread in AH that discusses expensive products, especially regarding electronics and subwoofers, polluted with sniping about how some much cheaper product has similar performance, or how stupid it is to spend that much. For one thing, with this sort of behavior I'd bet it drives away high-end product companies from submitting products to AH, and IMO the lack of those product previews and reviews makes AH a less interesting place for everyone.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You're probably not far off, but that's not the point. What that 1% spends is at least 10x what a typical member spends, so they might be worth something like 10% of the market by dollar volume. Also, for a lot of people products like this are aspirational, as are those Status Acoustics monsters Gene runs, but it is a lot of fun having things to aspire to. Frankly, it gets old to have every thread in AH that discusses expensive products, especially regarding electronics and subwoofers, polluted with sniping about how some much cheaper product has similar performance, or stupid it is to spend that much. For one thing, with this sort of behavior I'd bet it drives away high-end product companies from submitting products to AH, and IMO the lack of those product previews and reviews makes AH a less interesting place for everyone.
Agreed. It's the same reason I read motor trend etc. I'm not filling my garage with Ferraris but there's no reason not to learn about them. It can get old only talking about the cheapest, smallest, WAFiest, DIY'nest way to do stuff. Who wants to read about 300 dollar subwoofers all the time?Nobody has to read about the high end stuff if they don't want to. Scroll on by. IMO, the waste of 30k is on a Toyota Camry.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
You're probably not far off, but that's not the point. What that 1% spends is at least 10x what a typical member spends, so they might be worth something like 10% of the market by dollar volume. Also, for a lot of people products like this are aspirational...
Fair points I had not considered.

Gunny

Gunny

Junior Audioholic
Agreed. It's the same reason I read motor trend etc. I'm not filling my garage with Ferraris but there's no reason not to learn about them. It can get old only talking about the cheapest, smallest, WAFiest, DIY'nest way to do stuff. Who wants to read about 300 dollar subwoofers all the time?Nobody has to read about the high end stuff if they don't want to. Scroll on by. IMO, the waste of 30k is on a Toyota Camry.
Absolutely. I guess I over-reacted and I couldn't agree more about the Camry. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm pretty sure even some of the rich folk check this site out for measurements and reviews. Audioholics has built a reputation for no bs, real world numbers and measurements. I think if I were about to drop 30k on speakers (which I can't, lol), I would still research it and knowing this site doesn't pull any punches, it would definitely be on my list.

If I were worth 20m I might not give a crap, but that's my chain of logic.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Was pretty much going to say the exact same thing. Love to read about things I can't afford, but inform me of different ways of building things or what performance can be had if the price is right. Dare to dream.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I can dig 30k speakers but I'd have to be able to look at them, these may sound fantastic but they're fugly. I showed my wife and she said those ugly things cost how much?

I know there are better looking options in the price is no object category.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis