garage storage shelves

B

Ban-One

Enthusiast
I need to put in some storage shelves in my garage. I don't want it to look chincey though. If you have any ideas or pictures of your garage please share them.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the4' or 5' standards that Home Depot sells. I've installed them before on every other stud (32") and cut a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" ply into 16" strips to use as shelves. The beauty is that they are off the floor and you can climb on them if you need to. They will never come down or fall over.

One guy I know just hung kitchen cabinets in his garage for that real nice finished look.
I thought it made the garage look a little fem myself. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm going to say that I have a bit of everything in my garage and I've come to the following determinations...

1. I don't like any racks that sit directly on the floor. The problem is that garages are dirty and full of critters so if the shelving can start a foot or more off the floor it is helpful.

2. My garage is like 12' tall, and a 6' shelf leaves a lot of wasted space, so going higher would be nice.

3. I have areas where I want to put bikes and the lawnmower, etc. So, there are places where I want the shelves to start about 4' off the floor.

As such, I think that one of the best solutions is the heavy duty wall-mounted brackets with shelves. You can run longer brackets up higher for deeper shelves. We have some 18" ones near the ceiling where we have storage bins 20" deep sitting on them. Great up and out of the way near the ceiling. Then, down lower you can use wire or wooden shelves to hold your day-to-day needs. They offer specialty stuff that can hook on as well to hold the gardening tools if you need it as well.

I didn't do my whole garage this way, as I have some gorilla racks and other racks in there, but I did part of my garage with this stuff later on and REALLY wish I had done my whole garage this way.

DEFINITELY: Google 'Garage Shelving' and look at some of the pictures for ideas of what you may want.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That's what I was referring to as a standard. The brackets I used had a way to be screwed into the shelf and as you mentioned the brackets come in different depths. You can get an 18" bracket to put at around 3' off the floor and throw a 2' deep plywood shelf on it to use as a work bench.

I put together a shelving system like that for my sister's garage. She sold the house. :)

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
I handle my garage like I do my cable management:D But you could make a hanging shelf.
eye hooks in the ceiling connected with chains to 3/4" plywood on 2x4 frame. Make it any size
and use it to also hang things from. And it looks more manly then kitchen cabinets:rolleyes:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I handle my garage like I do my cable management:D But you could make a hanging shelf.
eye hooks in the ceiling connected with chains to 3/4" plywood on 2x4 frame. Make it any size
and use it to also hang things from. And it looks more manly then kitchen cabinets:rolleyes:

That looks like my living room back when I was single minus the doritos.

B

Ban-One

Enthusiast
Well I went to Lows and bought a handful of 2x4's and a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I got 2 shelves up and 2 more to go. Pretty pleased with the way it came out. Thanks for all of your inputs.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Well I went to Lows and bought a handful of 2x4's and a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I got 2 shelves up and 2 more to go. Pretty pleased with the way it came out. Thanks for all of your inputs.
Post some pictures. This may be something I would like to do in my garage.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My garage. These were already there when I bought it, but they work out nicely.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis