Game Developers Service Consumers. Hollywood? Lawyers.

b_panther_g

b_panther_g

Audioholic
Very well written. Especially the parts about the MPAA and the RIAA. They have things all wrong.

1st I'd like to say that I don't pirate any media. But I think that the effects of piracy on the music and movie industry have been exaggerated.

Just look at the sales figures of CDs, 1 of the most pirated music formats. Popular artists sell millions of CDs all over the world. Plus I've yet to read or hear about a major music company that's going to stop making CDs or even reduce their CD production. I don't think that Walmart is going to close their music section because it doesn't make any money. I don't think BB or CC will stop selling music either.

Does piracy have an effect? Yes. Is it destroying the music industry? No. If it were, music companies wouldn't be making billions of dollars.

Just my thoughts. What do you guys/gals think?

Enjoy,
Brian

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
My thoughts on it is this:

The industries are ran by stuffy old men that have no concept of technology, let alone application of.

Items they have said would kill their industry include:
tape recorders (Cassette, and possibly reel-to-reel)
VCRs (Both Betamax and VHS)
MP3
DiVX

....so far I haven't seen this...actually I've seen industry supporrt to some level for all of these.

Basically they just get all butt-hurt when they aren't the first to come out with anyhting, which is constantly since they are as innovative as a tree is hostile.

Does it have an affect: yes.

Is it destroying their industry: mixed bag...they lost money on that album sale...but that lost sale may have influenced someone else hearing the pirate copy to go buy it...or better yet go to the muscian's concert, and bought concert schwag....of course it hurts the recording execs...but as far as hurting the artist I would say most likely no, since they make most of their money through the concert circuit.

Plus isn't it odd when Napster came out, the record industry was showing their greatest profits ever...then when they started fighting file sharing, their profits went down? Sometimes things can't be thought of as black and white...to me Napster was free publicity...I could get a few crappy MP3s of a prostective album...if I liked it, go buy it. That was also when i didn't have the cash to buy tons of CDs, so it really mattered to me.

Now....well it still matters to me since I hate buying crap, but I won't use P2P since they are still crying over it....and thus I don't buy more than 2-3CDs a year. Oh well, their loss... I'll just listen to my old stuff :)

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
We are talking about an industry that was willing to pay Mariah Carey some $ 47 million dollars for just two albums on a five album deal. I wish the industry I'm in was broke enough to give me $ 30 million to shut up and go away... :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis