Game Changer for DVD's and Blu-Rays?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
There are all kinds of things like these that pop up regularly. The problem is moving it out of the laboratory and into the hands of consumers. How reliably does it work? How much money will it cost to produce? Things like these.

We have no problem storing and reading data down at an atomic scale. The densities around that are HUGE, but I don't think you're going to be seeing any electron microscopes hooked up to TVs to play movies stored on grains of salt any time soon.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This is nothing new and it still hasn't actually happened.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Did either of you guys click on the pic? I know that might have been a bit unclear, but I linked the article. This technique is cost effective because it really only adds a second identical laser and some extra programming to accomplish.

I know it's not new. What's new is the technique. What's awesome is that it uses what we already have with comparatively few adjustments to existing burners. Or at least this is new to me.

G

Grador

Did either of you guys click on the pic? I know that might have been a bit unclear, but I linked the article. This technique is cost effective because it really only adds a second identical laser and some extra programming to accomplish.

I know it's not new. What's new is the technique. What's awesome is that it uses what we already have with comparatively few adjustments to existing burners. Or at least this is new to me.
I did read it, and I think you're severely underestimating what is involved in getting this to work. It is far to simple of an idea to have NOT been implemented yet if it were really as easy as it is on it's face.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I did read it, and I think you're severely underestimating what is involved in getting this to work. It is far to simple of an idea to have NOT been implemented yet if it were really as easy as it is on it's face.
I don't believe it said anywhere in the article that it was easy. Straightforward ideas often lack some or multiple critical pieces to make them truly come together. I'm not saying this is necessarily going to pan out, but I'm also not precluding that these guys have found or created what this straightforward idea lacked in the past.

I also didn't estimate anything. Merely copied and pasted something I thought was interesting and offered nothing except what the article provided....at face value.

G

Grador

I don't believe it said anywhere in the article that it was easy. Straightforward ideas often lack some or multiple critical pieces to make them truly come together. I'm not saying this is necessarily going to pan out, but I'm also not precluding that these guys have found or created what this straightforward idea lacked in the past.

I also didn't estimate anything. Merely copied and pasted something I thought was interesting and offered nothing except what the article provided....at face value.
My point was that the general idea is pretty straight forward as stated. I also never said it would not pan out. I'm simply stating that I generally disregard everything of the sort, as I have read so many articles of similar claims that they are A) no longer interesting to me and B) fairly unlikely to ever be seen again.

So it's not that I don't think it could happen, nor is it that I think it wouldn't be very nice to have. It's simply that I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My point was that the general idea is pretty straight forward as stated. I also never said it would not pan out. I'm simply stating that I generally disregard everything of the sort, as I have read so many articles of similar claims that they are A) no longer interesting to me and B) fairly unlikely to ever be seen again.

So it's not that I don't think it could happen, nor is it that I think it wouldn't be very nice to have. It's simply that I'm not going to hold my breath for it.
I'm not holding my breath either, but for different reasons. I think it makes more financial sense for a company to keep pressing forward and billing things as the "latest and greatest" rather than backtrack and improve older technology. Either way, I think that it would make an interesting consumer product. A burner that was capable of doing this and available to the average person.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yikes, and I get impatient trying to write a DVD right now. 10.6 years of video at 16x?! *gulp* :p

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This could very well work but I don't think it will ever translate to sales for the average consumer. I see this product in companies and branches of government doing data archiving.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis