G.Fast Gigabit Internet Using Phone Lines

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'd rather have a broadband coax connection even if it costs a lot more. DSL always seems to perform great in demos but often sucks in the real world. To make sustainable streaming performance tolerable most deployments in the US have 90/10 asymmetry, so your upstream performance is only 10% of the total link rate, and the ratio is not dynamic. I suppose if there's no other choice this might be a good alternative, but I doubt the US providers will deploy it. To make this work at 1Gbps you really need short runs, which means high density development, like cities, and in the US every city has coax everywhere. In rural areas where coax isn't deployed I'm guessing the distances involved would make these speeds unlikely.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The devil is in details. Gigabit over pots with gfast is only available with very short distances, probably not applicable for most customers. Now a 100mbis over pots, now even that would be very impressive

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd rather have a broadband coax connection even if it costs a lot more. DSL always seems to perform great in demos but often sucks in the real world. To make sustainable streaming performance tolerable most deployments in the US have 90/10 asymmetry, so you're upstream performance is only 10% of the total link rate, and the ratio is not dynamic. I suppose if there's no other choice this might be a good alternative, but I doubt the US providers will deploy it. To make this work at 1Gbps you really need short runs, which means high density development, like cities, and in the US every city has coax everywhere. In rural areas where coax isn't deployed I'm guessing the distances involved would make these speeds unlikely.
With docsis 3.1 coax should deliver gig or near gig speeds without much of distance limits

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis