Funk Audio 8.2P Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I guess it's time to let out another little tid bit of information on the design on the MTM.

Nathan wanted as high an efficiency that we could pull off. That was a design goal from the very beginning.

I did a proprietary double tapered port that will allow high efficiency right down to to the desired Fs. Not an easy thing to accomplish with a driver with as strong a motor as the eights we are using.

It has almost no port compression at any sane level of output. I modeled it out to 800 watts and it is still a quiet little port.

Small design tweeks that mean alot in the real scheme of things.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Please tell me Audioholics is reviewing this speaker in the near future.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Don't know.

But you can order a set and do a review.

I promise I won't stop you!

:D

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Don't know.

But you can order a set and do a review.

I promise I won't stop you!

:D
Waht would be the expected price? Range?
By the way, if someone want the active 8.2 to be able to pair with subs, it would be nice to have some high pass option available in the active xover, then say having it done prior to the active xover.
Thank you

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!***

^2

Now don't quote me on the additional for the amplification. But a premium of about $1500 on top of base price.

ridikas can vent righteous indignation.

But not to bad for a kilowatt per side and some stinking powerful DSP under the hood.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
isn't that the CSS Planar 1? No horn this time around?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General

^2

Now don't quote me on the additional for the amplification. But a premium of about $1500 on top of base price.

But not to bad for a kilowatt per side and some stinking powerful DSP under the hood.
Where exactly are you guys located? I don't suppose you'd be interested in bringing a pair to the Midwest if I put together a worthwhile get together, eh? It would be a great chance for potential buyers to hear a pair in action that otherwise might not be able to. :)

I'll show my wife pictures and see what she thinks of them aesthetics wise tomorrow. What are your standard finish choices?

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic

^2

Mark,
i think it wouldnt be too dificult to implement a divice/switch for an high pass filter those who may eventually pair the tower with their favorite sub. I think this could be a ab etter option for someone since the high pass would be done on the woofer of the tower, then having it hipass over the intire tower if someone do it prior the active xover.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
What Funk Audio uses is not available to the consumer.

I have used a Beringher unit. Thay are OK.

MiniDSP are again OK. But highly limited compared to our product.

So short answer it will ship as is. Nothing tweekable to any large extent. We are working on some gentle room contour capability. But it to is not as simple as it seems.

Nathan and I have discussed some of the setup ideas in our forth coming premium speakers. But they will be substantially larger. And just slightly more expensive.
What is it? Hypex?

I give up.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
What is it? Hypex?

I give up.
Nope.

DEQX is by far the best product of its type available in the world today. That, paired with some crossoverless speakers, measuring equipment, and good knowledge and you have yourself a world class system. If I'm spending money, I'm spending my money on DEQX. They have no competition.
Good but,,,, Nope.

Hypex? Good but Nope.

I work for Nathan. I bring to the table more than two decades in this business. This length of time working in and around audio has brought me a good eye for quality and a healthy skepticism for product claims.

When we first started working the ground rules were quality and integrity. We actually measure our products in house and are not afraid to release the real response graphs. We work with quality components, push the envelope on style and configuration. We try very hard not to make compromises that effect the sound.

Nathan is a good designer in his own right, what I bring to the table is experience and integration. Product sourcing is also a very important part of proper speaker design. Being able to think out of the box.

What we use at Funk Audio is carefully chosen from a very small group of hi quality providers. And if we can't find it we make it. The products are results driven. Not marketing driven.

If you guys are intent at figuring it out do what I did. Research the DSP chips that are available, then work through the application notes. Get a feel for what the signal quality capability is as well as what the DSP capability is. Work out the various methods of integrating this into a useable system.
Is it System On A Chip or do you need peripheral components?

Then go out and find a company that does this best. They are out there. But they are not available at the consumer level. Access to this type of DSP modules is restricted. As in OEM only. And Funk Audio is an OEM.

So is any of this simple?

Hardly. It takes months of research, an knowledge of electronics as well as loudspeaker design and engineering expertise.

There is no true simple in good audio design. There are choices.

Last edited:
mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Mark,
i think it wouldnt be too dificult to implement a divice/switch for an high pass filter those who may eventually pair the tower with their favorite sub. I think this could be a ab etter option for someone since the high pass would be done on the woofer of the tower, then having it hipass over the intire tower if someone do it prior the active xover.
Great idea!

And yes that was part of the design from the beginning.

A simple setup that Nathan can instruct you to do if the information in the manual is not lucid enough.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Where exactly are you guys located? I don't suppose you'd be interested in bringing a pair to the Midwest if I put together a worthwhile get together, eh? It would be a great chance for potential buyers to hear a pair in action that otherwise might not be able to.

I'll show my wife pictures and see what she thinks of them aesthetics wise tomorrow. What are your standard finish choices?
West Coast and Eastern Canada.

Yep it's a long distance relationship. I fly out when no amount of esplaining will work. And Nathan puts up with me and interesting things happen.

Otherwise it is a great relationship.

So the question is:

Does your wife bake cookies?

I like cookies. MMMMMM Cooookies.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
isn't that the CSS Planar 1? No horn this time around?
No it is not.

I found that product for Bob a few years ago. It is pretty good, but has distortion issues at a point that I wanted to crossover at.

We use a much larger version of this driver. And we modify it for our needs.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
No it is not.

I found that product for Bob a few years ago. It is pretty good, but has distortion issues at a point that I wanted to crossover at.

We use a much larger version of this driver. And we modify it for our needs.
What was the XO point you wanted?

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Lower than 1500 hertz.

Think I'm gonna give away the recipe to the secret sauce?

Not gonna do it.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Lower than 1500 hertz.

Think I'm gonna give away the recipe to the secret sauce?

Not gonna do it.
LOL We all know it's just thousand island!! xD

I ask because I'm using the Planar 2, and was hoping to use it at about 1000hz. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Being the bored and lazy student I am. :p

I'm sick of taking lame courses. I tend to be bored and lack desire to apply myself. There are only so many classes that have absolutely nothing to do with my major that I can take before I go insane. :D
. :)
hey wake up out there.
I know what you mean monk, but as wise people have said "with the good comes the bad" :rolleyes:, heck I made it through 5 years of college, worked 37 years and then bingo retired at age 58 so there is fun at the end of the educational and work like a slave tunnel.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis