Funk Audio 18.2 Dual 18" Sealed Subwoofer Preview

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
What size of box and driver are you using as unpowered?

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I just looked at your sub line up.

Your Velodyne is EQ'd.

So now you have me wondering what you find so offensive about response contouring via EQ?

Because believe it or not every loudspeaker you own and listen to has EQ inherent in it's design, albeit passive, there is still EQ.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just looked at your sub line up.

Your Velodyne is EQ'd.

So now you have me wondering what you find so offensive about response contouring via EQ?

Because believe it or not every loudspeaker you own and listen to has EQ inherent in it's design, albeit passive, there is still EQ.
Actually my 4 Velodyne subs are also unpowered with no EQ. I'm using an ATI AT2004 amp to power the 4 Velodyne.

I use an AT3002 to power my dual Funk 18.0.

And I use 4 Ch of my AT6012 amp to power (bi-amp) my dual RBH SX-1010N unpowered subs. No active EQ at all.

I think there is a night-and-day significant difference in sound between Active EQ in AVR/processors vs Passive EQ inherent in speakers.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I apologize if this has already been answered, I don't think so as I've been following the thread pretty regularly and don't recall it coming up, but how was the sub measured? I know Josh Ricci had written an article about the need for a compensation file when measuring a dual opposed subwoofer since either one or both drivers were not facing the mic directly during measurement. I was just wondering if a compensation file was used for the numbers noted and how the compensation file was generated (what subs were used for a reference point to generate the file if that's how it was generated, or if one was generated at all).

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I think there is a night-and-day significant difference in sound between Active EQ in AVR/processors vs Passive EQ inherent in speakers.
That depends in large part on how it is accomplished. In years gone by we only had the potential to use passive or active filters to manipulate signals. There were and are exceptionally good examples of how to do this with minimal ill effect. The vast majority of music production still uses EQ to make up for losses and tailor soundscapes. Microphone choices in themselves are means of EQ.

But in the end it is all boiled down to how?

We use a very clean system that is double the resolution and then some of anything you will have available. Our DSP systems operate with 64 bits. The filters are designed from the very beginning to be inaudible. They enhance what we have created and are a part of the whole system.

Actually my 4 Velodyne subs are also unpowered with no EQ.
So now you have me thinking. I used to work with a driver manufacturer that made the Velodyne drivers. I knew the engineer well. But a little looking at the site and some things have changed. Which version do you have?

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I was just wondering if a compensation file was used for the numbers noted and how the compensation file was generated (what subs were used for a reference point to generate the file if that's how it was generated, or if one was generated at all).
The answer is..... 57

No we have not included a sum of the two drivers. We measured from a point that is equidistant from both drivers. Remember that a groundplane measurement done correctly is the equivalent of a free field as in reflectionless measurement. I know and understand the differences. But it is better to under promise and overachieve than to do the opposite. So we posted untouched figures.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The answer is..... 57

No we have not included a sum of the two drivers. We measured from a point that is equidistant from both drivers. Remember that a groundplane measurement done correctly is the equivalent of a free field as in reflectionless measurement. I know and understand the differences. But it is better to under promise and overachieve than to do the opposite. So we posted untouched figures.
I see, so in room there would be the typical room gain, plus more due to the lack of the comp file. Interesting.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That depends in large part on how it is accomplished. In years gone by we only had the potential to use passive or active filters to manipulate signals. There were and are exceptionally good examples of how to do this with minimal ill effect. The vast majority of music production still uses EQ to make up for losses and tailor soundscapes. Microphone choices in themselves are means of EQ.

But in the end it is all boiled down to how?

We use a very clean system that is double the resolution and then some of anything you will have available. Our DSP systems operate with 64 bits. The filters are designed from the very beginning to be inaudible. They enhance what we have created and are a part of the whole system.

So now you have me thinking. I used to work with a driver manufacturer that made the Velodyne drivers. I knew the engineer well. But a little looking at the site and some things have changed. Which version do you have?
I think NOT all EQs & DSPs are created equal. But based on my experience, I'm just skeptical. I mean everyone thinks his version is the ultimate best.

My Velodyne subs are the SC-600IF/IC. They are made for custom installation In-Floor or In-Ceiling. I use them behind my 73" Mitsubishi TV because they are tall, but are only 9" deep. :D

SC-600 IF/IC In-floor or Ceiling Subwoofer

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I think NOT all EQs & DSPs are created equal. But based on my experience, I'm just skeptical. I mean everyone thinks his version is the ultimate best.
I keep saying this over and over. But here is a bit of background on why I say the following:

Closest thing to a proper front loaded horn.

Background:

A front loaded horn done correctly with proper sizing and driver choices is the closest thing to being there I have every created. I have done quite a few over the years. They are forces of nature in their ability to move air in absolutely enormous volumes with exceedingly low distortion.

Nathan designed this dual 18 box, I worked with him providing design checks and some balances. We tuned it in together while we were measuring it outside. I had the opportunity to listen to it for over a week and it is indeed a beast.

I hate the sound of almost all commercially available subs. They have such a large degree of harmonic distortion that they drive me away. I can't listen to them. The old Velodyne servo based designs were pretty clean. And I have heard a few DIY systems done by knowledgeable gentlemen that were very clean sounding.

What I describe as clean sounding is simple.

Remember I was a musician, away back when I had hair! Been there and done that. I have the ability to remember tones and pitch. To this day I can tune an instrument with the tones that I remember in my head. I still review music for a friend of mine who has a website. classicalmusicsentinel.com

So the following is from a great many years of listening to, and playing music.

There are bass notes all the way down to 16 hertz. And there is perception of pitch down to that level providing that there is not a masking of the note ( the fundamental ) by harmonics ( distortion in the form of multiples of the fundamental 2nd 3rd 4th etc. ). Many subs have enormous amounts of second harmonic distortion that we find pleasing. In fact most instruments make great use of this to create gravitas and sonority in the music we listen to. Composers have known this for many centuries. Even the mighty pipe organ when played on the lowest stops has some oomph. But couple together a 32 foot stop and a 16 foot stop and everything changes in terms of loudness. ( Organ stops are listed by their lowest tone usually a C. A 32 foot pipe speaks roughly at 16 hertz and a 16 foot pipe speaks at roughly 32 hertz. Think for a second that there are 12 tones in an octave and we can discern tones in the lowest octave that are little more than one hertz apart! ) The lower stop modulates the higher stop and the resulting beat frequency is the second harmonic. This harmonic is actually louder than the fundamental.

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
Last call for pre release price(s) on the 18.2, pre release ends Feb 28th.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis