Funk Audio 18.2 Dual 18" Sealed Subwoofer Preview

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
So no comments on the posts!

Not even the max SPL bursts?
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought you were going to provide some data to answer ADTG's question about the 18.0 versus the 18.3. I think we're all expecting the 18.2 to be a beast, and your data indicates that.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Funk Audio 18.2 Two Power Amplifiers per Driver

10 hz 31.6% 99.5
12.5 hz 28.2% 106.7
16 hz 22.4% 111.3
20 hz 17.8% 113.7
25 hz 8.9% 116.6
32 hz 5.0% 119.6
40 hz 10.0% 122.3
50 hz 6.3% 125.3
63 hz 4.4% 127.7
80 hz 1.99% 128.8
100 hz nill 130.4
125 hz nill 131.4
160 hz nill 131.2
200 hz nill 130.3
Funk Audio 18.2 Dual Amp per Driver Anechoic Measurement.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That is 2 m groundplane I assume? What a beast! I am curious about pricing, even though I won't be able to buy one. I guessing this thing will clock in at $5k, which is still a bargain when compared to JL Audio, REL, KEF, etc. It looks like the opposed drivers design is getting popular, Seaton, Epik, PSA, JTR, and now Funk. I need to start playing the lotto again.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Yes two meter ground plain. Same as free field. As in refection free.

Again I apologize for the misinforming previous graph. To much data at times can make things a bit messy.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
this thing is insane....
so, the sub 2 puts out 96db 2m gp, right? if thats the case, paradigm is smoked. is there any other sub that can keep up? and what does this say about their designs for all their speakers? it tells me that im right, fa is crazy good.

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
Yes two meter ground plain. Same as free field. As in refection free.

Again I apologize for the misinforming previous graph. To much data at times can make things a bit messy.
I was going to email you about that Mark but it looks like you caught it...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
$8600 and up, according to the article.
Ouch! Still, it does leave all the other high priced subs in the dust regarding performance if those measurements are accurate. I wonder how it fares against the beasts from JTR and Danley.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Funk Audio 18.2 Two Power Amplifiers per Driver

10 hz 31.6% 99.5
12.5 hz 28.2% 106.7
16 hz 22.4% 111.3
20 hz 17.8% 113.7
25 hz 8.9% 116.6
32 hz 5.0% 119.6
40 hz 10.0% 122.3
50 hz 6.3% 125.3
63 hz 4.4% 127.7
80 hz 1.99% 128.8
100 hz nill 130.4
125 hz nill 131.4
160 hz nill 131.2
200 hz nill 130.3
Appreciate the update Mark. Quick question: do those figures represent peak (how Paul Apollonio reported CEA2010 burst measurements) or RMS (how Josh Ricci reports) figures? Either way, looks like quite a power house!

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Quick question: do those figures represent peak (how Paul Apollonio reported CEA2010 burst measurements) or RMS (how Josh Ricci reports) figures? Either way, looks like quite a power house!
Peak burst measurements. The signal uses a series of tone bursts as per CEA2010.

I was going to email you about that Mark but it looks like you caught it...
Actually Nathan caught it. I had the wrong files in the wrong folder. It happens.

And after looking at it and noticing a large room dominated peak I was sorry for posting it. Hope the bandaid does not cause to much trouble.

Looking at the databass numbers this sub is going to be in the top few boxes regardless of price.

Hate to move it though. It is one heavy beast. Nathan is not a small guy and I had some fun on the other end of it. We used a appliance dolly and two guys. One steadying the box!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Is there any distortion levels for lower SPL's? people don't want to always play so loud so it would be interesting to see consistent distortion levels, say at 96dB for the whole passband?

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Lower spl equals much lower distortion.

It is an exceptionally clean subwoofer.

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
Appreciate the update Mark. Quick question: do those figures represent peak (how Paul Apollonio reported CEA2010 burst measurements) or RMS (how Josh Ricci reports) figures? Either way, looks like quite a power house!
Good question Steve. So...Since the output os recorded as peak waveform values, in order to compare with the data sets in my sub reviews here, at Data-Bass, Illka's, or Avtalk you would subtract 3 dB. A very potent sub considering the total cabinet size especially.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Lower spl equals much lower distortion.

It is an exceptionally clean subwoofer.
I know, but I'd like to see this quantified, NUMBERS PLS :p
Are we talking much lower distortion figures than Paradigm Sub2?

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I know, but I'd like to see this quantified, NUMBERS PLS :p
Are we talking much lower distortion figures than Paradigm Sub2?
Your question is a good one.

But it must be framed in a manner that has relevance to a test.

Your speaker of comparison, at what level was it being tested?

Keep in mind that this type of testing does not happen at the snap of the fingers.

If you have a reference point we could test to I would be happy to arrange for it. As I'm only about 3000 miles away from the sub, good old Mr. Funk will be doing it. But I'm there through pictures and conversation of the test setup. Nathan is a quick study and was there working with me the whole time we were measuring them in August. He is perfectly capable of performing the tests.

Finding weather is another question. Even in British Columbia there is winter. It's called the rainy season.

Large umbrellas?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Your question is a good one.

But it must be framed in a manner that has relevance to a test.

Your speaker of comparison, at what level was it being tested?

Keep in mind that this type of testing does not happen at the snap of the fingers.

If you have a reference point we could test to I would be happy to arrange for it. As I'm only about 3000 miles away from the sub, good old Mr. Funk will be doing it. But I'm there through pictures and conversation of the test setup. Nathan is a quick study and was there working with me the whole time we were measuring them in August. He is perfectly capable of performing the tests.

Finding weather is another question. Even in British Columbia there is winter. It's called the rainy season.

Large umbrellas?
You love a challenge yes :p
Do you have a rainy season too, we also do have this, it's 363 days a year of rain, last year I was away for vacation on this 2 day period they call summer :D

I don't remember really seeing good reference points in which to test these distortion figures, it's lots of talk about max spl and how loud a sub can go, well most people don't listen at these high levels, or at least they won't for a long time until they can't listen anymore.

Well, a very high max spl will obviously mean that it's well behaved at lover levels but still it would be very interesting to have qualitative comparable measurement figures at reasonable listening levels, does anyone have an idea about the reference of how to measure this and how this reference point should be set up?

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
im gonna need a mansion for all the audio gear i want.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Couple conversations with Nathan, he has a good clean measurement that we can use. Taken the day after I left in the summer. So he was running on all cylinders and then some!!

Had to do it Nathan.

I'll post it with a graph that expresses the distortion curves in terms of percentage. Just have to make it up. Takes a little while. The peak is at 110 db right around where one would expect a live reference bass drum strike. So a good place to make a comparison.

Give me a little while.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
Couple conversations with Nathan, he has a good clean measurement that we can use. Taken the day after I left in the summer. So he was running on all cylinders and then some!!

Had to do it Nathan.

I'll post it with a graph that expresses the distortion curves in terms of percentage. Just have to make it up. Takes a little while. The peak is at 110 db right around where one would expect a live reference bass drum strike. So a good place to make a comparison.

Give me a little while.
this is kinda cool. nathan doesn't rely on his own measuring from the get go? so everything (specs and data) is all done third party?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis