Funk Audio 18.2 Dual 18" Sealed Subwoofer Preview

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The question is, can you afford to review them Gene?

Is it possible to review them without purchasing :p

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Funk Audio 18.2 Dual 18" Sealed Subwoofer Preview

He bought the $50k a pair speakers he reviewed, think these would be in his price bracket :p then again, with those speakers I don't think he needs subs :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
He bought the $50k a pair speakers he reviewed, think these would be in his price bracket :p then again, with those speakers I don't think he needs subs :)
Never, ever underestimate the ability of an Audioholic to rationalize additional premium gear!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I'm betting the expense will be all on Funk Audio.

I think Funk Audio is proud to have AH review & test their products. Nothing to hide or be afraid of when you are at the top of the food chain. :D

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
this sucker is coming in two formats: 9600w and 4800w, if AH doesn't get one of each someone else will. not a good situation for AH. ive seen enough marketing go sideways to see whats up.
FA is gonna wake up some giants.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
The F18.0 has 126dB max output vs the F18.3 which has 124dB max output. You would still go for the 18.3 ? :D
howdy ADTG, don't be fooled, the 18.3 is one insane sub. Nathan and Mark explained it to me and it does have as much as 2 18.0's, but i dont remember how they got to that conclusion.:eek: but i have heard them and yes... the 18.3 puts the 18.0 in a choke-hold. :D

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
What I know of this sub was peak power and output testing we did. My goodness. The first time I have ever measured something that has the capability to make you feel ill. I was reading peak output voltages on ground plain measurements about a foot and a half away from ground zero. It is a beast to be sure. I have only worked with front loaded horns that could exceed it's output. We used a different amplifier that could dump in insane amount s of power. I brought it over with me it's the IPAL module. So if 9600 watts is not enough there is the potential for more.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
how does the 18.3 put out more than the 18.0 when the numbers say otherwise?

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Well, I know I'll be the odd man out here with my opinion. But I find the wastefulness of this driver design sickening, and I'm even more ashamed that it's a Canadian company doing it.

44 lbs of neodymium...for a subwoofer driver. What a shameful, disgusting waste. We are running out of neodymium at an alarming rate, and Funk Audio is going to waste 44 lbs of it on each subwoofer driver?! All in the name of making the least efficient design possible - ie. as small a box as possible?

This is horrible. I want no part of it. And I wish people would come to their senses on this. I don't care about price, or people paying whatever they're willing for the performance and style that they're after. That's their business. But when it comes at the expense of depleting one of our most useful, scarce, and important natural resources, I just cannot abide such a horrific, and frankly, lazy choice. To just throw money at this design shows a shocking lack of compassion.

Use an electromagnet, for goodness sake. It's obvious that price and weight and power consumption are not the issues here. But instead, the choice has been made to just throw away 44 lbs of precious neodymium on the one driver in a speaker system that benefits from and requires it the least!

I'm disgusted and ashamed.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
To Mr. neodymium.

44 lbs is the motor weight. Not the weight of the magnets.

The steel is 90% of the weight.

Last small point. There is no shortage of neodymium. It's sale is being restricted over political differences.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
someone doesn't know what he/she is talking about. sounds a little trollish.

Well, I know I'll be the odd man out here with my opinion. But I find the wastefulness of this driver design sickening, and I'm even more ashamed that it's a Canadian company doing it.

44 lbs of neodymium...for a subwoofer driver. What a shameful, disgusting waste. We are running out of neodymium at an alarming rate, and Funk Audio is going to waste 44 lbs of it on each subwoofer driver?! All in the name of making the least efficient design possible - ie. as small a box as possible?

This is horrible. I want no part of it. And I wish people would come to their senses on this. I don't care about price, or people paying whatever they're willing for the performance and style that they're after. That's their business. But when it comes at the expense of depleting one of our most useful, scarce, and important natural resources, I just cannot abide such a horrific, and frankly, lazy choice. To just throw money at this design shows a shocking lack of compassion.

Use an electromagnet, for goodness sake. It's obvious that price and weight and power consumption are not the issues here. But instead, the choice has been made to just throw away 44 lbs of precious neodymium on the one driver in a speaker system that benefits from and requires it the least!

I'm disgusted and ashamed.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
someone doesn't know what he/she is talking about. sounds a little trollish.
FirstReflection is not a troll, but I agree that he doesn't know what he's talking about. There isn't a neodymium shortage. "Rare Earths" are not really rare.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
no, he is not a troll. just sounds like he's looking for a scrap thats all. just a little troll-ish. an iddy-biddy tiny bit. a baby amount. a wafer thin amount (monty python).

congrats to Funk Audio for waking the beast. i hope you guys get to some shows with your gear. you need the publicity. cheers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Neodymium is being hoarded by the Chinese (they produce most of it) to control the market kind of like Debeers controls diamonds to artificially inflate their value, and China also does it as incentive for more companies to do manufacturing in China. Mr. Kravchenko is correct, it is a political matter. The only good ethical reason to forgo Neodymium is to discourage China from these business practices. Besides, if we were to complain about wastefulness and voracity, the US has many more domestic policies which are far more shameful, detrimental, and impacting on the future than China.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Wow - never saw the thread taking this kind of turn...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis