Funk Audio 18.0 Sealed Subwoofer Review

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
All I'm saying is that Sub2 is a formidable performer with bass extension and SPL to boot. Whether or not its your cup of tea depends on you.

J

jbrown15

Audioholic Intern
Just goes to show you how powerful the Sub 2 is. It truly is a monster.
A single TC LMS-5400 Ultra driver has more output then a Sub 2. You could get a driver and an amp from Speakerpower and have a cabinet builder build you a nice veneered sealed cabinet for 1/3 the cost of a Sub 2.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A single TC LMS-5400 Ultra driver has more output then a Sub 2. You could get a driver and an amp from Speakerpower and have a cabinet builder build you a nice veneered sealed cabinet for 1/3 the cost of a Sub 2.
Do you have the specs?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Do you have the specs?
This might give you some idea.....
Data-Bass

Sub2: ...10@94.7/12.5@98.2/16@102.6/20hz@106.4/25hz@109.9/31.5@113.2/40@116.9/50@120.2/61.5@122.5/80@123/100@122.1/125@120.3

5400 ..10@94.7/12.5@98.0/16@104.0/20@108.2/25@111.5/31.5@115.9/40119.6/50-100avg ~123.4

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Impressive to say the least but it still does NOT detract from the fact that the Sub2 is a sub with formidable output. Is it overpriced? That's a personal choice. Compared to Wilson's Thor, the Sub2 is a bargain.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Compared to a lot of things a lot of things are a bargain. Yes, the sub2 is very nice. Yes, it is a bargain compared to that wilson sub you mentioned. The funk sub in the review also has a ton of output and is a bargain compared to the sub2. You could probably custom order one with the TC LMS 5400 and it'd still be half the price of the sub2.

J

jbrown15

Audioholic Intern
Impressive to say the least but it still does NOT detract from the fact that the Sub2 is a sub with formidable output. Is it overpriced? That's a personal choice. Compared to Wilson's Thor, the Sub2 is a bargain.
Anyone willing to spend that kind of money for a Wilson's Thos has more money then brains IMO, it is most likely just some rich idiot that has no idea about audio and just bought it because his "custom installer" told him too. So now he can brag to all his other idiot friends how much his sub cost.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Compared to a lot of things a lot of things are a bargain. Yes, the sub2 is very nice. Yes, it is a bargain compared to that wilson sub you mentioned. The funk sub in the review also has a ton of output and is a bargain compared to the sub2. You could probably custom order one with the TC LMS 5400 and it'd still be half the price of the sub2.
Wow.. Just because one can get a sub that performs for cheaper doesn't detract from the fact that Paradigm is a formidable sub from a performance standpoint. I don't understand the mentality of the lack of acknowledgment of its capabilities by saying one can get a cheaper sub.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone willing to spend that kind of money for a Wilson's Thos has more money then brains IMO, it is most likely just some rich idiot that has no idea about audio and just bought it because his "custom installer" told him too. So now he can brag to all his other idiot friends how much his sub cost.
I concur not so much about the bragging rights but more so for the fact that Wilson does not provide meaningful specs for any of their products and many of their products have had poor measurement results by audio reviewers.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Not necessarily. It is someone to whom the money factor is irrelevant, and they value aesthetics more than they do sound quality. You guys keep forgetting that there are many thousands of people with a net worth of over one hundred million dollars worldwide, and spending $250K on an audio system just isn't a big deal. Looks-wise, a Wilson beats an SVS, or a Funk for that matter.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Wow.. Just because one can get a sub that performs for cheaper doesn't detract from the fact that Paradigm is a formidable sub from a performance standpoint. I don't understand the mentality of the lack of acknowledgment of its capabilities by saying one can get a cheaper sub.
lol? I said the paradigm was a good sub. It's one of the most capable units tested by ricci. However, that doesn't detract from the fact that there are comparable subs for much less money (as you keep mentioning in regards to the Paradigm vs Wilson sub).

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Looks-wise, a Wilson beats an SVS, or a Funk for that matter.
Well, that's clearly a matter of opinion. The Wilson is hideous imo. The SVS subs look just fine, but I think the Funk subs can be very pretty.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks-wise, a Wilson beats an SVS, or a Funk for that matter.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the Wilson is ugly to the bone. The Funk looks really nice and the Paradigm looks like a sub on "roids" :p

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
lol? I said the paradigm was a good sub. It's one of the most capable units tested by ricci. However, that doesn't detract from the fact that there are comparable subs for much less money (as you keep mentioning in regards to the Paradigm vs Wilson sub).
I should have not quoted you in my reply as I was not directing that you as you did acknowledge that. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the Wilson is ugly to the bone. The Funk looks really nice and the Paradigm looks like a sub on "roids" :p
I can't imagine how anyone could think the Wilson looks nicer than the Funk.

By the way, going back to comparing the output of the TC Sounds LMS driver measurements, remember that driver was driven by a 12 kW amplifer in those tests. Most people are going to be driving a LMS Ultra with something like a 1.5 to 2.4 kW amplifier.

J

jbrown15

Audioholic Intern
I can't imagine how anyone could think the Wilson looks nicer than the Funk.

By the way, going back to comparing the output of the TC Sounds LMS driver measurements, remember that driver was driven by a 12 kW amplifer in those tests. Most people are going to be driving a LMS Ultra with something like a 1.5 to 2.4 kW amplifier.

Shady where did you see where Josh said he used a 12kW amp to test the LMS driver? I thought the driver is only rated 8kW max?

J

jbrown15

Audioholic Intern
Not necessarily. It is someone to whom the money factor is irrelevant, and they value aesthetics more than they do sound quality. You guys keep forgetting that there are many thousands of people with a net worth of over one hundred million dollars worldwide, and spending $250K on an audio system just isn't a big deal. Looks-wise, a Wilson beats an SVS, or a Funk for that matter.
Honestly I find this argument not to be true, my wife works in high finance and we personally have a few friends that are multi millionaires a few times over and they're not even in there forties yet. They are some of the cheapest people we know. So of the richest people in the world are also the most frugal.

And even when guys spend that kind of money on a sub, I'd be willing to bet the first thing they say to their friends is how much it cost and not how great it sounds. I'd be willing to bet that for guys that buy subs like the Wilson's Thor it's more of a ego thing.

M

msaenzsr

Audiophyte
Great review

Thank you for this review. I am seriously considering placing an order and I'm contacting funk in reference. Hope to have this soon!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All I'm saying is that Sub2 is a formidable performer with bass extension and SPL to boot. Whether or not its your cup of tea depends on you.
Agreed. It is a fabulous sub for sure. It's not for everyone, just like any other components.

So if you were a billionaire, you would get a bunch of these Sub2? :D

If I were a billionaire, I would get seven Funk 18.2 passive subs in piano black high gloss. That's right - passive I so I can power them with Krell amps. :D :D

Then I would get 7 Funk HE monitors and place each atop the 7 Funk subs. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis