FS: Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Manager with MIC-5 Spatial Averaging Kit: $450.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic

The Velodyne SMS-1 is a subwoofer system that provides both measurement and 8 bands of parametric EQ. It is entirely self-contained; no computer required. Powers up to three subs. Balanced and unbalanced I/O/

The SMS-1 runs sweeps through the subs and the mains which means it accounts for interactions in the modal region that current automated systems simply and incorrectly assume don’t happen.

Problem is, on its own the SMS-1 is basically useless. A single-point measurement just doesn’t give a true picture of the true room response. To get a bead on the true response, you need to take a spatial average, also called a sound power measurement. That’s where the Velodyne MIC-5 comes in. The MIC-5 is a battery-powered processor with five microphones microphones, which should be placed around the listening position like so to get an accurate read of the true response:

(But without the ferocious mini-lions, of course.)

The MIC-5 has both XLR and 3.5mm outputs, so it could be used with other systems as well, though I make no compatibility guarantees as I’ve only used it with the SMS-1.

All cabling required for measurement is included. (Six XLR cables, one from SMS-1 to MIC-5, and five from MIC-5 to microphones.)

Both SMS-1 and MIC-5 will ship in their original packaging from Velodyne.

One flaw: one of the microphone stands is cracked. However, with the MIC-5 you won't need it, as between the SMS-1 and MIC-5 you have six microphones. The others are all in excellent condition.

Microphones can also be calibrated by Cross Spectrum Labs for use with computer measurement systems. They are identical to the Behringer ECM-8000.

Local pickup welcomed, as otherwise two shipments will be required.

I’ll sell the MIC-5 separately to an SMS-1 owner, but I won’t sell the SMS-1 separately unless the MIC-5 is already sold.

$450 plus actual shipping from 30308

Pics:

Broken-but-functional mike stand (shipped in SMS-1 "Digital Drive" box):

Other five stands in excellent condition (shipped in MIC-5 box.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis