FS: SONY EP9ES Digital Preamp / Surround Processor / DAC

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
High-end sound for pennies. Makes an excellent DAC and preamp in a 2 channel mode or 5.1 Dolby Digital.

This is a Sony EP9ES Dolby Digital surround sound processor / preamp that was part of the SONY prestigious ES Line. As a developer and champion of digital audio, Sony was at the forefront of the technology and was issuing State Of The Art digital products in the late 80s and early 90s. This processor is one of those products.

Featuring:

> 2 CH operation or Dolby Digital 5.1 channel operation with multiple, customizable synthetic surround modes.

> Comprehensive bass management with user selectable high and low- pass filters at 60/80/100/120/150/200 hertz, separately adjustable for the front, middle and rear channels.

> 2 bands of quasi parametric EQ for all channels except .1 subwoofer. 21 shelved turn-over points in band 1 from 100hz to 1000hz and band 2 from 1000hz to 8600hz. Both bands + / - 10db of adjustment in .5 db increments .

> All functions, including volume, EQ and all channel balances, are easily remote controllable from the listening position. The unit is easy to operate and you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

It has 4 digital and 1 AC3 inputs and analog pass through. The volume control does not affect the analog pass through signal. The unit is a great DAC and it can also can be used in 2 channel mode which switches off all surround processing, but still retains the remote control of the volume, balance and EQ functions. All processing can be switched off for purist 2 channel listening.

I have 3 of these available. They all operate flawlessly and all come with the remote controls and manuals.

#1> Front panel looks perfect. There is some indentation and scuffing of the top panel where a rather heavy amp was placed. $110.

#2> Front panel looks perfect. There is a scraped and slightly indented rear corner and a tiny, almost invisible indentation on the top for $135.

#3> Front Panel looks perfect. Probably as close to mint as you will find one of these, in the original box and packing for $175.

I can send pictures of any of these units you would like including close ups of the cosmetic issues. I don’t think this model was ever offered with wood side panels like some of the earlier ES models and none of the 3 units I have for sale have wood side panels. Also, all 3 are black.

These sold for $600 in the early 90s. That would be around $1200 in todays dollars and I am unaware of any preamp at any price that offers all the features this Sony has. I hate to let these go, but I need to thin the herd. For this reason, sorry, no trades. Local pick-up in the Florence Oregon area is welcome. If it’s being shipped. I’ll absorb the PayPal fees and buyer pays the shipping. Shipping via USPS with your choice of Priority Mail, 1st Class or Parcel Post. It has to ship to a PayPal verified address. To calculate shipping, go to usps.com. The box is 21 X 18 X 7 and weighs 18 pounds. Shipping from 97439. Add the insurance fee. Contact me with any questions. The photos are too large to attach, but send me your email addy and I'll forward them. Thanks!

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
BUMPED FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

As mentioned above, if you are looking for a DAC for a 2 channel system, this would be an excellent choice. I owned and Onix XCD-88 CD player (google it for the rave reviews. It’s the same unit as the Music Hall and Shanling CD-25 that sold for $600) and got to extensively compare the Onix to the EP9ES. Now don’t get me wrong, The Onix is a great CD player, but the Sony edged it out with a more 3 dimensional sound-stage and refined sound. With the Onix, the instruments were clustered at and around the speaker’s positions. Using the Onix as a transport driving the Sony DAC in 2 channel mode, the instruments were more spread out across the sound-stage and layered from front to back. The Sony just sounded more organic and more real with its space and air. If you are seeking a DAC, I don’t see how you can go wrong with one of these. Add in the remote control of the volume, parametric EQ, surround options, balance and bass management and these are a steal at the prices I’m selling them for. Even though I have 3 for sale, I’m keeping one after the first 2 sell because they really ARE that good. Pair one of these with a really good quality power amp and you’ll have sound quality to die for.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
SOLD #1.

There's only 1 left because I'm keeping one of these for myself (whichever doesn't sell next.)

Last edited by a moderator:
6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Until I find the box that I thought I had for item #2, I have to suspend the offer to sell that one.

Sorry. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Found the box and lowered the price of unit 2.

I now have 2 of these available and they both operate flawlessly and come with the remote controls, manuals.

#1 > Front panel looks perfect. There is a small scraped and slightly indented rear corner (see pic) and a small, almost invisible indentation on the top. Comes with remote control and manual for $135

#2 > Front Panel looks perfect. The rest of it is probably as close to mint as you will find one of these. Comes with remote control, manual, original box and packing for $165.

For the capabilities and sound quality these have, they are a steal at the prices I’m offering them at and I am firm on the prices. I’ll absorb the PayPal fee and buyer pays shipping of $25 west of the Rockies, $30 west of the Lake Michigan and $35 east of Lake Michigan. I’m not making any money on the shipping. The fees listed represent the actual USPS costs and I’ll refund any portion of the shipping charge that isn’t actually used. They have to ship to a PayPal verified address.

Last edited by a moderator:
6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Sale is pending on the $135 unit.

Also, I've decided to sell the mint one that I have available for $165. This is actually the best value of the three I had for sale. Comes with remote, users manual, original box and packing.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Mods... please delete this mess of a thread. :eek:

I'll rewrite and repost an ad for the one I have left at a later date. Thank you. :)

C

challenger1

Audiophyte
Sony EP9ES

Do you have one of these left to sell? Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis