FS: Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P Preamp/Processor

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Product Brand & Model :
Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P Preamp/Processor.
A review from Sound&Vision can be found here:
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/onkyo-professional-pr-sc885-preampprocessor

Here's an excerpt:
Features The PR-SC885 is a THX Ultra2-certified 7.1-channel A/V processor that delivers state-of-the-art features suitable for any home-theater environment. The connection options offer more than you will probably ever need, but in this price class, Onkyo Pro doesn't want to leave anything to chance.
Highlights include stereo balanced audio inputs as well as eight balanced outputs, which lets you run a 7.1-channel system or 5.1 channels plus bi-amplification for the front L/R speakers. For amplifiers with only unbalanced RCA inputs, the Onkyo Pro includes eight RCA outputs.
On the video side, you get four HDMI 1.3a inputs along with two outputs, one for your main display and the other for an additional display in the room. Only one output can be active at a time, but if you use a plasma or LCD for everyday TV watching and only fire up your projector for movies, the second output is a nice addition.
The Onkyo Pro can decode virtually every flavor of audio codec, including Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio via HDMI. Three Texas Instruments 32-bit DSP chips handle the audio processing, and the digital-to-analog conversion is performed by Burr Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs on all seven channels. The unit also includes Audyssey MultEQ XT, which helps automatically compensate for troublesome room acoustics. The system lets you measure up to eight positions in the room and provides both frequency- and time-domain corrections.
There are three different audio modes for 2-channel playback: Pure Audio, Direct, and Stereo. Pure Audio turns off the front-panel display and all video circuits except the HDMI outputs. It also defeats all audio processing (including bass management) and resets the front left and right channels to full range. Direct mode is virtually the same as Pure Audio, but it leaves the video circuitry on. Finally, Stereo mode drives the front left/right speakers without defeating the subwoofer, which was my preferred mode for listening to 2-channel music.
Video processing is handled by the Reon-VX HQV chip from Silicon Optix, which provides deinterlacing and video scaling to 1080p for all sources, which are sent to the HDMI output. If you have a legacy display that will not accept HDMI, the Onkyo Pro can transcode your composite and S-video sources and send them from the component output, though they are not upconverted in this case.

Condition:
Cosmetically there's some wear. I'd rate it about an 8/10.
I have the original box, remote, and audyssey mic.

Total Price :
eBay prices hover around $500. I'm asking $450 shipped.

Email is usually quickest: hardisj(at)gmail(dot)com. PM is fine, too.

Pictures :
I only have one picture at the moment, but I will add more once I have the opportunity to take it down and clean it up.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
FWIW, I use this for my audio needs. The XLR outputs are awesome paired with my pro-audio amps' XLR inputs. I use my Oppo's HDMI out to my projector and the audio out via HDMI to the Onkyo so it can handle all the audio processing.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I've had some local interest via CL but no buyers yet. I'll drop the asking price down to $395 shipped.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis