Front Ported bookshelves

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Which ones are available in the $1000 to $2000 range?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Which ones are available in the $1000 to $2000 range?
Yeah, 2-channel or 5-channel is sort of important to know. For a pair, the Salk SongSurround Plus and the Supercharged SongSurround should be at the top of your list. The Selah Audio Tono and Anniversario would also be worth considering, although with their low impedance you might need an integrated amp, or at least a better than average receiver, to drive them. The Philharmonitors are also available in front slot-vented cabinets built by Jim Salk (the builder of the SongSurrounds). Interesting bit of trivia, Dennis Murphy, the designer of the Philharmonitors, also designed the crossovers for the SongSurrounds if I'm not mistaken.

If you're looking for 5, then the WaveCrest HVL-1 come to mind. There's also the HTD Level Three. The Fluance Signature Series is also front ported, but I've read mixed reactions about them. The GoldenEar Aons employ side-mounted passive radiators, so they'll still work where rear vents will not. The Monolith K-BAS would also be a good choice if you don't plan to use a subwoofer. @shadyJ reviewed the K-BAS.

If you intend to use a subwoofer, you might also consider sealed as an alternative to front ported -- something like the NHT C3 or the Hsu Research CCB-8 (also reviewed by shadyJ) with their included port plugs for a set of 5; or the XTZ Cinema M6 (very favorably reviewed here) or the sealed version of the previously mentioned Philharmonitors if you're shopping for only a pair.

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ascend Acoustics Luna or Sierra-2?
I'll tell ya I been researching Ascend acoustics speakers she the Sierra 2s and Luna's and it sounds like an potent unstoppable combo. I love the speakers I have not even I'm thinking of going Sierra 2s mains and center, then Luna's for surrounds. The RAAL ribbon tweeter in those speakers sounds like it's absolutely Crystal clear. I'm dying to hear those speakers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Whoops, forgot Front Ported.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Luna then.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
I'll tell ya I been researching Ascend acoustics speakers she the Sierra 2s and Luna's and it sounds like an potent unstoppable combo. I love the speakers I have not even I'm thinking of going Sierra 2s mains and center, then Luna's for surrounds. The RAAL ribbon tweeter in those speakers sounds like it's absolutely Crystal clear. I'm dying to hear those speakers.

Got 3 Sierra-2's in a 3.1.2 setup right now. Probably the best music speakers I've ever heard, but I haven't heard many.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Got 3 Sierra-2's in a 3.1.2 setup right now. Probably the best music speakers I've ever heard, but I haven't heard many.
Thank you for the input. Does that mean it's not good for home theater or movie's? The way people describe the ascend Sierra 2s sounds awesome.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Thank you for the input. Does that mean it's not good for home theater or movie's? The way people describe the ascend Sierra 2s sounds awesome.

If it's good for music, it's usually more than enough for HT, unless one prefers distorted sound for HT use, which is totally possible.

You're just going to be listening to super detailed, accurate speakers when watching movies, but is that what you really want? Only you can answer that.

Some people like extra boom that doesn't decay that quickly because of the lasting impression of sound.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If it's good for music, it's usually more than enough for HT, unless one prefers distorted sound for HT use, which is totally possible.

You're just going to be listening to super detailed, accurate speakers when watching movies, but is that what you really want? Only you can answer that.

Some people like extra boom that doesn't decay that quickly because of the lasting impression of sound.
Yeah I want detailed accurate, no distortion sound from movies. Sounds awesome, thanks.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I want detailed accurate, no distortion sound from movies. Sounds awesome, thanks.

Like Roen said, if a speaker does well reproducing music then it will do just as well for ht.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Like Roen said, if a speaker does well reproducing music then it will do just as well for ht.
Oh yeah, I think I heard that before now that I think about it. Excellent, thanks guys.

OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
I have these in the walnut finish. Sound great but are sensitive to placement even with the front mounted port. Of course it is all subject to the room they are placed in, but in my room with them placed a few inches from the back wall, I had to trim the woofer's output by about 2.5dB with a listening position close to the opposing wall.

They will play great full-range, and go down to about 65Hz, but if you plan to feed them any real power with source material that delves into the 40's or lower, you'd be best off with a 90Hz, -36dB/oct, or 100Hz, -24dB/oct crossover setting, and adding a subwoofer to cover the lows.

I had to apply quite a bit of EQ to get here

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Bingo! -- I do not buy so-called better HT speakers, as there is enough artificial sounds in movies -- plus some movies have a lot of music.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis