Front Ht Speaker Placement???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slater

Slater

Junior Audioholic
Ive kind of narrowed my options down for the Onkyo 706 but still wanting some advise with picture of room may help with my best option.
Room is 20 x 20 but is open to the left with another 10 x 15.
Looking at the x's in the pic what would be best positioning if I decide on the ascend acoustics bookshelfs cbm 170 se's? Would there be any performance issues hanging them high vs placing them on a shelf as designed so they are more at tv level?
Also still contemplating the EMP e5ti tower package deal.
Both manufacturers are offering a deal which is over on the 30th, so really want some help deciding!
Will be turning the sofa so long part of sofa is facing tv when this whole ordeal is over! Also getting a shelving unit that will be on the left of the fireplace for all components.
Thanks guys, Learning process for me & not wanting to pay someone to tell me whats ideal & whats wrong.
Will also take any other speaker suggestions in the same pricepoint that would be ideal for my layout.

Attachments

Last edited:
M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
don't use the high position. Dolby Labs recommends "seated ear level" as optimum height....but with the mantle mounted TV, try to keep the 3 speakers roughly in-line. Considering the distance from the "best 2 seats in the house", the L&R wall mounted about mid-way between the "high x" and the "mantle X", in-line with the mantle center should work well.

Are the CBM 170's rear ported ? I know the 340's are. That could be a slight issue with wall mounts or even sitting on the mantle. Sealed enclosure or front ported speakers would be ideal in this situation.

Last year, I had emailed Ascend Acoustics about the rear port on the 340's and they said a 3-4" offset would be minimum, more would be "better".

Wall mounts like these would probably offset the 170's enough for good function http://www.amazon.com/B-Tech-BT77-UltraGrip-Speaker-Mounts/dp/B000IGY8WC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259077428&sr=8-5

Slater

Slater

Junior Audioholic
The cbm 170's are rear ported! Am considering the 340 for my center chanel but still not ideal for my situation. If I move my tv down to the mantle or up to the ceiling I have roughly 7.5 inches clearance for a center speaker. I would imagine speaker positioned on the mantle would be more ideal than center above the tv. cmb-17 = 9 inches 340 = 7.5 inches.
Placing the L & R speakers further out from the mantle edges & in center line with the middle of the tv wouldnt be a problem & have learned that would be the ideal location for a bookshelf on the wall.

Slater

Slater

Junior Audioholic
Having a real hard time deciding if I want bookshelfs or towers for my situation! HELP

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Having a real hard time deciding if I want bookshelfs or towers for my situation! HELP
Is this room L shaped with a dining room set to the left of the fire place?

What's sitting in front of the sectional...the arm of the sectional closest to you?

Slater

Slater

Junior Audioholic
Is this room L shaped with a dining room set to the left of the fire place?

What's sitting in front of the sectional...the arm of the sectional closest to you?
Not sure what your asking, Theres the wall to the backside of the kitchen which is mostly open. Its L shaped but if it wasnt for the kitchen walls it would be a big rectangle.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis