free media player recommendations

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
so i hate apple now... got rid of every apple product i own except for itunes... now we just gotta get rid of that... so what good media players are there that are free? the only features i really need are flac support and video support would be nice too..

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
so i hate apple now... got rid of every apple product i own except for itunes... now we just gotta get rid of that... so what good media players are there that are free? the only features i really need are flac support and video support would be nice too..

foobar2000 for starters, but there are most likely more out there

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

foobar2000 for starters for audio, but there are most likely more out there, jRiver does a nice job for both but its not free

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
Do people here not know about XBMC?

XBMC is freakin great for both, audio and video. And it's free.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Do people here not know about XBMC?

XBMC is freakin great for both, audio and video. And it's free.
Plum forgot about it. I've got XBMC on my ATV2 and Mac Mini. For audio (windows) I like foobar and jRiver and for the mac Audirvana Plus

F

Fungui

Enthusiast
I second XBMC, I love the supportive community and being able to customize/use new skins is a nice feature. Adding a scraper can highlight the media information for movies, tv, and music. Media companion is a good scraper for movies, and I know others are out there.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There is one really clear winner for most purposes including video, and that is VLC Media player. If you want very high bit rate schemes then Mediamonkey is a good one to have loaded also.

I would bet however you would use VLC for just about everything.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
I just installed VLC on both my desktop and laptop.Just dont know how to use it yet.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
VLC is nice as it plays everything and is very customizable as far as filters, codecs, outputs, and decoders go. It is not however an all inclusive suite of seamless media. Its beauty is in its simplicity and its bare bones handling of media.

XBMC is what I use for all of my HTPC's and the new version that is currently in RC2 is fantastic as it uses the new Audioengine for the backend, which supports 24/192 and all the HD audio formats (DTSHD, DD TrueHD, ect). It also offers control from virtually any smartphone or tablet on the market. So if you are running an HTPC you can ditch the mouse and keyboard and use a more convenient control solution. If you are actually using the PC for multitasking though XBMC is a poor choice when compared to a dedicated music player.

For music playback in a workstation/multitasking setting I would suggest foobar2000. I use it exclusively when sitting at my desk.

Not sure what your setup is but you have several options each of which should have equal audio quality, it will be what functions for you best that you should chose.

O

Oliver11

Audiophyte
Yeah the VLC is the best media player and you can pllay any cideo on this player you have a internal media player in your windows but this is not a good now after rwealese the VLC because we cannot play the MP4 and some video formats on this media player so i suggest and prefer to install the VLC media player.........

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i love mediabrowser with WMC. i use jriver for audio (but as stated, not free. worth it though).

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis