Focus on Apple iPod and Microsoft Zune

A

argosun

Audiophyte
We are experiencing an iPod generation as we can enjoy our beloved DVD movies; listen to the dulcet music with the Apple iPod player directly wherever we take it. However, the more often we use it, the more knowledge we are in need to get a better and more convenient usage. I have communicated with many friends who share the difficulties and solutions as well as every experience together. Today, I just want to talk about two frequently met problems: how to back up the music and how to convert files for your iPod player and a piece of news: the up-coming Microsoft Zune.

How to Back-Up iPod & iTunes Music?

Why we need to back-up iPod & iTunes music?

As we all know, even the best computer can not avoid falling victim to hard drive problem just like even the strongest man will fall ill. After the computer met crash, the music will disappear from the music folder of the computer. Therefore, how can we copy the music back from the iPod player to the computer is a great problem. The most common “solution” to the problems is to erase your hard disk and re-install the operating system. Although there is a solution we can not always do something after damage happens while it is wise to do something before it. Though we can not avoid the computer crash, we can make preparation to avoid any losing.

Way to back-up iPod & iTunes music

Before everything starts, we need to know that there is an iTunes folder located in your My Documents -> My Music folders if you are running Windows and you haven’t specified otherwise, or a Music folder inside your home folder if you use Mac OS X. The iTunes folder contains three items: two files, iTunes 4 Music Library and iTunes Music Library.xml, and another folder called iTunes Music.

As the old saying tells ‘every road leads to Rome’. There are several ways to back up your iTunes music files. But I think the simplest one is to make a copy of the entire iTunes folder (the one in Windows’ My Music or in your Mac’s Music folder). And I recommend you use an external hard disk which is not that expensive as before. So far as I know it is no more than $100 nowadays that is an affordable price to most people. If you have one, simply drag your iTunes folder to the hard disk to copy all the contents within the folder. If your music is stored in another location, drag the folder containing your music files to your external hard disk as well.

If you don’t have such an external hard disk and you don’t want to use it either, you can burn CDs or DVDs with your music files wand it is easy to finish. It can be done directly from the Windows Explorer or the Mac OS X Finder. If you like you can use iTunes to do it for you. And here’s the instruction on how to do so with iTunes.

First of all, go to iTunes’ Preferences menu (on Windows: Edit -> Preferences, on Mac OS X : iTunes -> Preferences) , then click the Burning tab. Check the Data CD in the Disc Format area to burn a data disk containing copies of your files . Data CD burns exact copies of your music files; it doesn’t create audio CDs, nor converts the files in any way. (Note: If you want to burn audio CDs later, make sure to change this setting after your backup.)

You should start by making a note of the date for the first backup and I will tell you why later. Then click the Library icon in the iTunes Source list and select all the music (use Control + A on Windows while Command + A on Mac). Then File-> New Playlist from Selection. It will create a full playlist for all the music. Then select this playlist and start burning your music by clicking the Burn Disc button.

You will be asked to insert a disc, either a blank CD or DVD is ok for a DVD Burner while you can just insert a blank CD if you use a CD Burner. (I recommend you use a DVD as it is much quicker and holds equivalent of 6 CDs). You need not to worry about the burning process as iTunes eject the disc and ask for another one when it filled up the CD or DVD already. And it won’t stop unless the whole playlist has been burned.

Next you need to create a new smart playlist under File-> New Smart Playlist and select Date Added Is Affter (fill with the date you recorded at first). Next time you add new music to the iTunes library which is enough to fill up a new CD or DVD, you can select this smart playlist to burn a new disc. And it will contain all the left files and new files since your last backup. After this backup, select the playlist and edit it by clicking File-> Edit Smart Playlist. You need to change the date to the new date on which you just do the new backup. And remember to use this smart playlist and update its date everytime you want to do new backup for more files. Then you will always have a playlist containing files you’ve added to your iTunes library since the last backup.

Then make the same backup for the other two iTunes Library files.

After all of the above, you will not fear of any crash or lost of your computer as you are able to restore your iTunes library easily. And here is the way: install iTunes, drop the two files into iTunes folder and then use your CDs or DVDs to copy all of your music back into the iTunes Music Folder.

How to convert DVD or Video files for iPod?

This is quite a simple question in fact as we all know there are numerous conversion tools from different software providers like Cucusoft, PQ, Xilisoft, ImTOO and Videora etc. If we Google with ‘ipod converter’ ‘dvd to ipod converter’ or ‘ipod video converter’ etc, the result appears with various choices offered. Facing so many choices, I recommend you be calm and careful to try them at first before you decide to buy finally. Absolutely the best principle for most people is: the best, the fast, the easiest and the most affordable. Open your eyes to find it yourself.

For myself, I tried only Cucusoft and ImTOO products. Both of them are fine but I prefer ImTOO better. I like the screen and its profile. And I was great satisfied with its service to me (maybe I’m lucky..haa). After you select the provider, be careful to choose the suitable product for you as there maybe several tools you can choose. If you just want to rip and convert DVD and watch it with your iPod player, try ImTOO DVD to iPod Converter. If you want to convert video files to the iPod player, then use ImTOO iPod Movie Converter as it can convert 3GP, AVI, MPEG, WMV etc to iPod MP4 directly. NOTE: If you need both of them, DO NOT purchase them separately as there is a discount suite named ImTOO DVD to iPod Suite that contains both of the two tools and saves around $14 for you. I recommend you choose the suite for we may use anyone of the two conversion tools anytime for the iPod player and the suite is at discount price. Here is the downloadable trial link and I advice anyone to try it before purchase:
http://www.imtoo.com/downloads/dvd-to-ipod-suite.zip

If you decide to buy the product, BUY it from the ImTOO site directly as the version there is the latest.

No matter what tools you choose, you need to know how to transfer converted files to your iPod player with iTunes. Here is the way:

Open the files after the conversion is finished and drag the converted files directly into iTunes. Drag the file onto the iPod logo in the iTunes and then release the mouse when "+" appears around the cursor. The file will be transferred to iPod automatically.

Talking About Microsoft Zune

Since the news that Microsoft will develop a player around this September to rival Apple's iPod, more and more people focus on it. I would like to share the news about it here also. As Microsoft hasn’t made any formal proclamation about it yet, no one is sure what Microsoft will publish and when it will be out. But according to the words of the Microsoft Staff (Chris Stephenson, a general manager of marketing for the software maker and Robbie Bach, President, Entertainment & Devices Division), the player is likely be Zune or a series including Zune.

This player will be a multi-functional one as combines music, video and game together. One Indian media said that Microsoft's Zune player will be out in Nov.14th this year, and it will be in Dark, Grey and White. And any two colors can be combined together upon the user's favor.

And the player is with 30G hardware and supports FM broadcasting. Its screen is 50% larger than the one of Apple iPod player. And it will be sold around $399 which is the same valued as Apple iPod 60G player while more expensive than 30G Apple iPod player. The professionals points out the reason is that Microsoft Zune player has richer functions.

The insider disclosed that the Zune player's menu list provides options for "music", "video", "picture", "community", and "settings" while "game" is not included at the moment.

Some media said the player will support 400MHz DSP Processor, 30G hardware and Windows Mobile system.

I think the player is possible to support wma and wmv formats as Media Player is also Microsoft’s product.

More details about the Microsoft Staff’s talk:
http://www.microsoft.com/msft/speech/FY06/BachFAM2006.mspx
http://news.com.com/Microsofts+Zune+to+rival+Apples+iPod/2100-1041_3-6097196.html

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
naisphoo said:
No thanks. For $200 more i get the PS3.
Hmmm i dont see how a ps3 compaires to portable music gaming device, btw ps3=poop on a stick

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Thanks for the detailed write up.

But for the life of me, I just fail to see the point of keeping around a bunch of lossy compressed music files. Those files are fine for playing on those tiny computer speakers. But they just don't cut it when you want to play them through a good home stereo system. I know there are all those listening tests, where one cannot tell the difference between a high quality lossy compressed music file from an uncompressed wave file. But still, harddrive space is cheap nowadays, I just don't see the point of keeping your music files in a lossy format.

Plus, the concept of actually paying for lossy compressed music files? When I can get the same thing on a CD, non compressed, for the same price? I just can't bring myself to pay for those lossy compressed music files. True, the CDs are actually compressed files of the original master tapes, but still, one less level of compression is a good thing in my opinion, and the CD is the de facto standard in audio nowadays.

Maybe I'm an audio purist, but I always back up my music collection in wave format or in one of the lossless compression formats.

Just think about this in terms of books, let's say War and Peace. You have the choice of purchasing the original, unabridged version for $1, or you can purchase an abridged version for the same price. Which one would you rather purchase?

S

sivadselim

Audioholic
furrycute said:

But for the life of me, I just fail to see the point of keeping around a bunch of lossy compressed music files. Those files are fine for playing on those tiny computer speakers. But they just don't cut it when you want to play them through a good home stereo system. I know there are all those listening tests, where one cannot tell the difference between a high quality lossy compressed music file from an uncompressed wave file. But still, harddrive space is cheap nowadays, I just don't see the point of keeping your music files in a lossy format.

Plus, the concept of actually paying for lossy compressed music files? When I can get the same thing on a CD, non compressed, for the same price? I just can't bring myself to pay for those lossy compressed music files. True, the CDs are actually compressed files of the original master tapes, but still, one less level of compression is a good thing in my opinion, and the CD is the de facto standard in audio nowadays.

Maybe I'm an audio purist, but I always back up my music collection in wave format or in one of the lossless compression formats.

Just think about this in terms of books, let's say War and Peace. You have the choice of purchasing the original, unabridged version for $1, or you can purchase an abridged version for the same price. Which one would you rather purchase?
Um......................... you can do lossless formats, including plain ol' WAVs, with an Ipod, too.

So the information provided here could be somewhat useful to someone who has their music on their hard drive as, for example, Apple lossless or WAVs.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Doesn't a HD-based portable suck down batteries like Ted Kennedy sucks down martinis when you use WAV./lossless files of large size? The memory buffer of those little players is generally pretty small which means files with large bitrates keep the HD spinning more or less continually, drainging the batteries pretty quickly. Or has something changed recently?

S

sivadselim

Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
Doesn't a HD-based portable suck down batteries like Ted Kennedy sucks down martinis when you use WAV./lossless files of large size? The memory buffer of those little players is generally pretty small which means files with large bitrates keep the HD spinning more or less continually, drainging the batteries pretty quickly. Or has something changed recently?
I've always used my Ipod for Apple lossless or WAVs. Never MP3s, so I don't really know. I didn't notice a difference in battery life between using WAVs vs. Apple lossless though.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I wouldn't expect much difference as both are pretty large files. Probably MP3 would be a different matter. Perhaps the HD is energy efficient enough that it's not an issue.

F

forkart

Audiophyte
How to convert DVD to iPod (both video and audio) with YASA DVD Ripper Platinum
from http://www.yasasoft.com/dvdripperplatinum/howto/dvdripper_dvdtoipod.htm

1. Download YASA DVD Ripper Platinum and install it.

2. Run YASA DVD Ripper Platinum. Select output profiles of "iPod MPEG-4 Movie(*.mp4)" on the menubar.

3. Click menu "Open DVD Disc ... " button to open open the DVD Disc.

4. YASA DVD Ripper Platinum will show "DVD Output Wizard". If you are newbie of video conversion, Just simply click "Finish", because Output profiles of "iPod MPEG-4 Movie(*.mp4)" has already input the default setting for outputing iPod MPEG-4 Movie" . If you are an expert otherwise, you can use "DVD output Wizard" to change the settings.

5. You can choose the output filename, audio language, subtitle, output video size etc by clicking menu "option".

6. If you want to make video clips, please click "Clip & Convert ..." button. Click "create new clip' begin time and end time

7. After all, Click "Convert All ..." button to start converting.

8. After the converting complete, Launch iTunes and add output video files into videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
furrycute said:

It's a balance of convenience vs. quality.

Sure, you could lug a book of 200 CDs around with you and swap them in and out. Or you could carry around an iPod nano with just as many songs. You can't carry 150 songs around on one CD and hit shuffle in the car.

I know which one i'd rather lug around :)

Not to mention you don't need redbook quality when listening on headphones, or in the car (unless you have a Mark Levinson sound system in your car).

Storage is cheap, but uncompressed is still 7-10x larger than compressed. To most people, it's just not worth it. It's about incorporating music into your life, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
dulcet music with the Apple iPod
This is the part that doesn't make sense. Ipods are incapable of producing pleasant music.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis