S

shackleford

Audiophyte
Thanks to all who shared about Streem speakers...the latest I've found on ebay.ca is Fluance. They seem to be regarded well, and are cheap. Good for the starter system (especially if I can spend a little more on the receiver...)
Unlike Streem they are reviewed by "experts" (like CNET) but I'd love to hear from anyone who has actual experience with them.

This may be a real newbie question to add, but if I do get a home theatre set up, will I be using all the speakers when I listen to music too? I assumed so, but that is away from the traditional 2 channel set up, no?

Just an added thought/question.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I've seen the Fluance on Ebay. I'll be interested too in hearing what anyone says about them as well, but they look a bit too good to be true.

How you listen to music is your choice. Many of the recievers; Yamaha, Onkyo for example have several DSPs to change the sound of the music. For example the Yamahas have a rock setting to make it sound as if you are at a live rock concert, sending signals to all speakers, adding reverb etc. I got over the newness of them after a a couple of weeks. Call me old fashioned but I still prefer listening to music through 2 channels, possibly with the addition of a subwoofer. Any of the newer HT recievers will allow you to do this through at least 2 settings.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Someone mentioned that the fluance brand uses cabinets that are thinner than industry standard. If this is true, not a good sign.

L

lblampman

Audiophyte
I just purchased Fluance SX-HTB speakers a few weeks ago; I'm very pleased with them. If they aren't up to industry standards you sure can't tell it from the workmanship, weight or sound. I've never recieved anything shipped to me that was as well packed as these speakers were.

I'm using the speakers in a HT setup; about 80% music, 15% movies and 5% XBOX gamming. I don't have a subwoofer in the system yet; the Fluance speakers are doing a better than anticipated job with movies and a superb job with music. I'll add a powered subwoofer (hoepfully next week) to get the really low bass on movie and game sound tracks but I'm happy enough with the bass performance of the Fluance towers for music that I'll probably set the crossover on the sub fairly high.

I didn't try to go "on the cheap" when I got the Fluance speakers; I got a recommendation from someone that told me I'd have to spend a lot more money to get the same perfomance in other brand choices and I went with that recommendation. Now that I saved the money and have the speakers I'd have to say I think I made a great choice and wouln't hesitate to do it again.

My wife and I both love the look and the sound of the SX-HTBs and the money saved by purchasing the Fluance speakers is going to allow me to add the subwoofer (yea!).

BTW, I ordered directly from Fluance. They have a nice website, the oreder process was easy, I got an immediate confirmation, they shipped immediately and sent me the tracking number, and the shipment arrived right on time as promised (in the previously mentioned beautiful packing). For me, it's two thumbs up.

Hope this helps...

Les Lampman
Whidbey Island, WA

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis