Matt34

Matt34

IMO there are better choices out there for the money.....much better.;)

What are you looking at specifically..bookshelves, floorstanders, etc?

C

chrisivan

Enthusiast
Thanks for the input. I guess these guys dont get any love. Off the list they go but has anyone actually listened to these things?

As far as what I'm looking for; well you know I have the same story as a lot of others have experienced. I'm looking for speakers to put on my HT (5.1 system) and have promised myself not to go over $2000. The problem with this plan is the more you listen, the more you want more. I've auditioned Klipsch's from $1400-2400, some other brands going to the $3500 and there are more to come. I cant make-up my mind they are all so close and very good but I have yet to go WOW and say that's it!!

The more I listen; the more I want and that is a very dangerous thing for the wallet. I am to the point where a DIY speaker is not even out of the question if there are any proven kits out there. One thing though that I've discovered is the fathom 113 is awesome and will be bringing one home to audition soon :)

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
I have listened to both of the HTB 5-piece speaker offerings. The less expensive is 199.00 for the set, and the step-up offering is 299.00. For the money (and for Pete's sake, all you pundits, note the emphasis ;) ), they are a reasonable value.

I would never say that they are for the audiophile; but for someone looking for a very low cost HT setup for the kids' rumpus room, I would have no problems recommending these. I know two families who have never hard of Diana Krall or a crossover, but love Friday Night at the Movies - neither cannot afford the real thing. They both are thrilled to death that they were able to get a cheap, durable product that makes their Friday nights special. Well, at least least it does now that I had them both invest in an Onix X-Sub :)

Again, it depends on taste and discernment. I will never own Fluance speakers. I am lucky enough, however, that I have a budget that allows me to indulge myself a little more.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
"At this price point..." and anything similar is part of EVERY speaker review you will ever read. Even more prevalant is 'these speakers sound like others costing X times as much'.

The implication is always that whatever 'flaw' is being mentioned can be overcome by spending more money. The reality is that people have slightly different perceptions about speakers when they hear them in their own room. Other than measurements that show the frequency response and impedance graph, any review of a speaker is entirely subjective and near useless for determining if you will like the speakers.

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
have you listened to definitve technology? usually dealers will give really good discounts, and for the price they sound good too

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Not really sure about the Fluance speakers BUT you may want to check out the Infinity Primus speakers. As an owner I can NOT recommend them enough. Vanns.com has some really good package deals on them. Good luck in your decision. Hope this helps.:) :)

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
"At this price point..." and anything similar is part of EVERY speaker review you will ever read. Even more prevalant is 'these speakers sound like others costing X times as much'....
With all due respect -

Since I can only assume that it was made relative to my post, your statement is at once correct in a sense, completely non-germaine to my post, specious, and insulting.

Are your statements true about the value of a review? To a point. About listening yourself? Absolutely. Would I spend my time auditioning Radio Shack or Altec Lansing speakers? Not likely.

My statement of "at this price point" has exactly squat to do with a comparative analysis, much less a "review". There was no specific "flaw" under discussion. The point was, however all about the relative value of a product for those that cannot afford better. Based on your position, we should all plug our ears until we can afford ::fill in your favorite unaffordable "perfect" speaker here::.

Frankly, I personally would appreciate if you choose to make "drive-by" posts (certainly one way to to drive up that already admirable post count) consisting of sweeping generalities that may or may not apply to a subject at hand, that you kindly refrain from doing so where I am concerned.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
With all due respect -

Since I can only assume that it was made relative to my post, your statement is at once correct in a sense, completely non-germaine to my post, specious, and insulting.

Are your statements true about the value of a review? To a point. About listening yourself? Absolutely. Would I spend my time auditioning Radio Shack or Altec Lansing speakers? Not likely.

My statement of "at this price point" has exactly squat to do with a comparative analysis, much less a "review". There was no specific "flaw" under discussion. The point was, however all about the relative value of a product for those that cannot afford better. Based on your position, we should all plug our ears until we can afford ::fill in your favorite unaffordable "perfect" speaker here::.

Frankly, I personally would appreciate if you choose to make "drive-by" posts (certainly one way to to drive up that already admirable post count) consisting of sweeping generalities that may or may not apply to a subject at hand, that you kindly refrain from doing so where I am concerned.
I think you may have taken that too personally.

I would say there are speakers near or within the same price bracket to Fluance that offer significantly better SQ. I haven't used Fluance myself, and likely won't, but the cheapness of the drivers and attempt to be flashy is enough to turn me away from such a company.

Just currious, what was the bit about Altec Lansing? You are aware they make some quality speakers aren't you? Other than their quality speakers they only make PC speakers. I wasn't sure what you were getting at there.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Just call them Flatulence Speakers and let's move on to something more productive. Let's not get personal, we're all adults here, right?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan

You need to get a grip. I could care less about my post count. I usually only answer the technical questions where I can be of value but sometimes I feel the need, like anyone else, to put in my two cents on other topics.

You specifically said 'at this price point'. Talk about specious and non germaine to the topic! If you were insulted that is your problem.

You say you would never stoop so low as to spend a mere $200 for a 5.1 speaker set then are insulted that I say that reviews are mostly worthless for determining whether a particular speaker will sound good to you? My point is that reviews will not be able to tell you if you will like any speaker regardless of price point until you listen to them in your home for an extended period of time.

By the way, price is meaningless. I can afford absolutely anything I want, but choose not to waste my money to impress other people. You don't get rich by spending your money.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Don't forget that when you put yourself in a budget and your tastes are leading you over your budget.... you can always go used... Audiogon.com is a great higherend marketplace, search for the first 2 or 3 digits of your zipcode... and see what pops up... Tons of great products there, that people loved with all their hearts, and are just looking for the next best thing...

Thats how I got my Rotel amp... used only about 6 months... guy was moving and had to part with it...

Good luck

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

Don't forget that when you put yourself in a budget and your tastes are leading you over your budget.... you can always go used... Audiogon.com is a great higherend marketplace, search for the first 3 digits of your zipcode... and see what pops up... Tons of great products there, that people loved with all their hearts, and are just looking for the next best thing...

Thats how I got my Rotel amp... used only about 6 months... guy was moving and had to part with it...

Good luck
Yup, I spend way too much time browsing that site, there are good deals to be found for sure.:D

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
You need to get a grip... money.
Yeah, I figured I was going to be taken to the carpet for this one. I've read lots of your posts, and appreciated the information I've taken away - thus the "with all due respect" part. But when I see what looks like a statement taken out of context, my dander does get up faster than it should. Sorry 'bout that.

That said - I still think you did a drive-by on this one, but hey, I'm the last guy to say that all of my posts were Forum Reading gold either.

Hey, but most importantly - sorry, Altec guys! As an A/R guy, I definitely should not be throwing stones in that direction :eek:

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
You say you would never stoop so low as to spend a mere $200 for a 5.1 speaker set then are insulted that I say that reviews are mostly worthless for determining whether a particular speaker will sound good to you?
For the record, I never said that, and would never use condescending language to that effect. My perceived insult was in what I saw as an off-the-cuff reply to a statement made by me, that was taken out-of-context.

So peace. You're a smart, experienced person with lots to offer. I'm a nice guy if you get to know me, even if I have bad taste in speakers :p .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis