Floorstanding Speaker Comparison

S

StereoBob

Audiophyte
Looking to purchase a new pair of floorstanding front speakers. Here in the South Jersey--Phila area it's hard to find a retailer who carries anything but Polk, Klipsh, Def/Tech. Want to stay in the $800 to $1200/pair range. Actually found a audio store that stocked the Paradigm line. Was considering the Monitor 9. Any comments on the Monitor 9 vs 11? Can anybody comment on the Aperion 6T Towers or the EMP E55Ti speakers? Haven't ruled out the Polk RtiA7. Need some input from actual owners. Thanks!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Looking to purchase a new pair of floorstanding front speakers. Here in the South Jersey--Phila area it's hard to find a retailer who carries anything but Polk, Klipsh, Def/Tech. Want to stay in the $800 to $1200/pair range. Actually found a audio store that stocked the Paradigm line. Was considering the Monitor 9. Any comments on the Monitor 9 vs 11? Can anybody comment on the Aperion 6T Towers or the EMP E55Ti speakers? Haven't ruled out the Polk RtiA7. Need some input from actual owners. Thanks!
Id add the Ascend Acoustics Sierra, with the pedestal option, to your list. Also the the Salk Song Bird and if you can up your budget the Song Towers. All 3 would be a step up IMHO, with the Aperions and the EMP being close.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also try different speaker technologies like dipole speakers (Magnepan, MartinLogan, etc.) and bipole speakers.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
That's the price point where so many wonderful options become available and so many more are just a few hundred away. You have a good list now and I'd just try and listen to as many as you can. And as a Song Tower owner I think you'll find it worth stretching your budget, but of course that may not be possible. However they do make large bookshelves for a few hundred less.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Put PSB Image T6 on that audition list. They've garned some great reviews from all the audio rags. They are also a very attractive speaker ranking it very high on the WAF (wife acceptance factor) . :)

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I would add the now discontinued BG Radia Z series to that list, too.

They're power hungry, but they sound good.

Bob, I'm surprised you had such a hard time finding a Paradigm dealer in Philly! Even here in Austin, I can find B&W, Wilson and Paradigm dealers with ease.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I have recently ordered the E55Ti am waiting on delivery now. I have owned Paradigm, but not the monitor 9 or 11, it was the Phantom Towers. if you can wait for about 2 weeks before you purchase, I would be sure to let you know my impressions of the Paradigm vs the EMP E55Ti.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Welcome StereoBob,

I'm in SE PA...Which dealer did you find find the Monitor 9's at? If you like Paradigm check out Ascend Acoustics. The 170/340's sound similar to the Paradigm Studio series. Amperion has a very good reputation and a nice return policy so there's not much to lose.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Audioadvisor always has some pretty decent speakers on sale and they have a very fair return policy. I've dealt with them before and will do so again.

Example : PSB Image T65 (No, it doesn't include the girl)

If you get on their mailing list you get access to some even better bargains.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Audioadvisor always has some pretty decent speakers on sale and they have a very fair return policy. I've dealt with them before and will do so again.

Example : PSB Image T65 (No, it doesn't include the girl)

If you get on their mailing list you get access to some even better bargains.
That's a great value even without the girl! :D

I'd honestly take those over a lot of the speakers that the OP mentioned in the first post.

OTOH, I still think he can do better with said budget.

Full disclosure: I have PSB Images.

Oh crap, it's for a single speaker. Ok, that's actually a bit more typical in pricing. But, I am VERY interested in buying a single PSB tower in the future (if I ever am crazy enough to go for an AT screen). Hmmmm, thanks Mark! I think this is the first time I've seen a place sell them individually. I would prefer the T55 not only for the best match, but it would be easier to put speakers behind the screen without worry of the frame blocking any ports or drivers . . .

:drool:

OP, I like all of the suggestions here in general.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Is there a better looking stand for the Sierra? The one offered by ascend looks pretty ugly from the pictures.
its not that bad at all, but you could look at other high end/heavy weight stands:)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I have a pair of Monitor 9 V5 in my HT setup and am happy with them. Could I have gotten better for the price? Possibly, but not where I live. They offer great value for the money, IMHO. I compared them in my house with the RTiA7 and returned 7's. There wasn't a whole lot to choose between the two, SQ-wise, but the Polk's cost about 50% more and are less sensitive to a significant degree. So, they would require substantially more power to drive than the Monitor 9's. That sealed the deal for me.

I would certainly encourage you to listen to the other speakers on your list, preferably in side-by-side comparisons. If you can audition different pairs in your own home at the same time, that would be the ideal method - depending on the return policies of the dealers.

With auditory memory being so short and the acoustics of different venues varying so much, listening to single pairs in different stores can make accurate comparisons difficult. Some people might be able to do that, but I certainly won't claim that ability.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
...it's hard to find a retailer who carries anything but Polk, Klipsh, Def/Tech. Want to stay in the $800 to $1200/pair range.
Def Tech has lowered prices on old models, in anticipation of the newer models just released. Keep an eye out for bargains/closeouts, they are definitely worth consideration.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Also try different speaker technologies like dipole speakers (Magnepan, MartinLogan, etc.) and bipole speakers.
I absolutely agree with this. One should listen to different brands of speakers, and also different types of speakers (e.g., horns, domes, ribbons, etc.). One person's ideal is another person's idea of crap. I would go with Magnepan at that price point, but it really depends upon what things one cares about.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I absolutely agree with this. One should listen to different brands of speakers, and also different types of speakers (e.g., horns, domes, ribbons, etc.). One person's ideal is another person's idea of crap. I would go with Magnepan at that price point, but it really depends upon what things one cares about.
When (if) my 8 yr old daughter starts liking music more and wants speakers in her room, I will have a good excuse to try those $600 Magnepan speakers.:D

J

jumpnblues

Audioholic Intern
Just a thought...you might also consider the new STS-02 slim towers from SVS. If they're anything like the rest of their products they'll be superb. And, I think they're about $799. a pair.

Tom

S

StereoBob

Audiophyte
Speaker Comparisons

Thanks to all for your input. I have been able to hear a few of the brands mentioned. There are two retailers in the SE Pa / Delaware area that carry Paradigm but not with any of the other brands. It seems like each retailer has their one higher-end speaker line. It's difficult to find retailers where you can actually compare two or three speakers of the same price range. Not desperate at this time so I'll keep searching and listening. Audioholics gave great praise to the Aperion 6T's. Any owners out there? They give you you a 30-day in-home trial with free shipping both ways. Might give them a listen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis