Flatwire Connectors?

S

stripdshirt

Audiophyte
Anyone here had experience with flatwire. I need to get about 25ft. for a couple of speakers and it looks like I'm spending just as much on the connectors as I am on the actual flatwire itself.

The couple questions I have are:

Do I really need the adhesive mesh tape?

and

I'm seeing that other flatwires are using different connectors. The taperwire uses an IDC connector (looks like it's the easiest) and the others at pacificcable are using terminal blocks. Are these just as good?

Thanks

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I bought mine from Gecko Cable, and the flat wire came with the connectors that allow conversion from flat wire to regular round wire. Are those the connectors that you were talking about? If so, then you might want to check out Gecko Cable.

S

stripdshirt

Audiophyte
I bought mine from Gecko Cable, and the flat wire came with the connectors that allow conversion from flat wire to regular round wire. Are those the connectors that you were talking about? If so, then you might want to check out Gecko Cable.
Those are the connectors I was talking about at pacificcable.

I've been looking at the actual flatwire. It seems to be about the same price and its at .0006 thinness as opposed to .0020 that I'm seeing everywhere else.

So the tape isn't needed?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
So the tape isn't needed?
Sorry for the delay. I was out walking the pooch.

Where are you wanting to install the wire? I'm putting mine underneath carpet, and everything that I've read says to not use an adhesive or tape to secure the wires. It's also recommended to put the wires between the pad and the carpet. I had planned on taping the wires down to the concrete and have the pad and carpet put over the top, but I definitely need to think about it before I do it.

The stuff that I bought at geckocable.com was 16-gauge, 4-conductor, 25'-long wire for about $60 a spool. I haven't installed it, but it arrived quickly and came with flat-to-round connectors for both ends of the wire.

S

stripdshirt

Audiophyte
I'm running it up the wall for my one of my back channels and one of my front channels.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis