Flat speaker wire recommendations?

B

bellbound

Enthusiast
I need to run my front speakers wires about 50-ft from where my display is and along the baseboards of my living room to my equipment.

Can anyone recommend a brand/model of speaker wire for this?

Thanks.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I ran flat wire under my carpet in 2008 and used Gecko Cable. I really liked it and created a thread on it here. It seems that they don't sell it anymore, but Taperwire is (I think) the same stuff.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
That flat speaker wire is pretty cool, but not cheap! I've used Monster Navajo in the past, but it's pretty high gauge so I wouldn't use it for a run like that.

If you check the gauge chart here Speaker Cable Gauge (AWG) Guidelines & Recommendations — Reviews and News from Audioholics it

You can figure out what size to get based on the impedance of your speakers. For a 50' run you'll want some fairly thick wire. Parts express has some white flat (relatively speaking, nothing like the Taperwire) but it's only 16 gauge which isn't thick enough.

For a length that long you may want to check a wireless system.

M

menglish6

Audiophyte
I just finished running flatwire to my side and rear surrounds. It worked out really well, but I had to make some runs across the ceiling so it required a bit of mudding + sanding to meet wife approval standards.

As others have said, it wasn't cheap, seems to be in the same ballpark as the taperwire, so I made some compromises by having the connection boxes behind a couch closer to the rear of the room and ran normal wires to that spot.

The reason I opted for flatwire was that they pretty good resources on installation and there were a variety of choices for connections.

B

bellbound

Enthusiast
I am running a coaxial cable, HDMI cable, and 3 speakers wires from one side of the room to the other where my equipment will be hidden. My thought is to put the cables between the tack strip and the wall. Does this sound like a bad idea? I'm unfortunately unable to link to images to show you what I'm talking about because I'm new here.

Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis