W

Wannabe in SF

Enthusiast
Has anyone used flat coaxial cable? I have an inconveniently located cable jack and need to run cable across a room.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Wannabe in SF said:
Has anyone used flat coaxial cable? I have an inconveniently located cable jack and need to run cable across a room.

Don't think it exists:eek:
What are you using it for?

W

Wannabe in SF

Enthusiast
mtrycrafts said:
Don't think it exists:eek:
What are you using it for?
It does exist and I need to run my cable across a room and there really is no other option that doesn't involve busting through walls or drilling through cement floors.

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
audiofox said:
Here's some light reading if you want to lean more about the technical approach, etc, for these products.

http://www.flatwiresolutions.com/html/white_papers.html
Page four is full of bogus ideas. Composite frequencies DO NOT travel as figure 3 depicts. Sigh...when will people learn..

Figure 4 is based on an approximation equation, one which is inaccurate for the range of guages and frequencies they actually used it for..

Again, totally inaccurate.

I wish they had detailed the inductance per foot and capacitance per foot, as the graphs show numbers, but don't specify lengths..

It is a nice product, though. Although buyers must be aware that many of the technical musings of that white paper are not correct.

I do like them, however, despite their errors..they did test and publish those numbers, I admire that.

Cheers, John

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
My biggest concern would be the lack of shielding capability. With coplanar circuit traces housed in a metal box, the box and internal walls provide the shielding and RF isolation needed. With the flatwire, OTOH, it would seem to be very susceptible to whatever stray EMI was present. Admittedly, it is probably not an issue for speaker applications, but I would think it would be a factor for the video apps and possibly for the audio interconnect apps.

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
audiofox said:
My biggest concern would be the lack of shielding capability. With coplanar circuit traces housed in a metal box, the box and internal walls provide the shielding and RF isolation needed. With the flatwire, OTOH, it would seem to be very susceptible to whatever stray EMI was present. Admittedly, it is probably not an issue for speaker applications, but I would think it would be a factor for the video apps and possibly for the audio interconnect apps.
I concur. It is also susceptable to external influence with respect to the cable impedance.. If you lay this stuff on a surface of mu relative or epsilon relative greater than 1, it can cause reflections in video apps. The level of effect, would have to be tested, as the particulars will be heavily geometry dependent..
Cheers, John

(sheesh, had ta fix that mu error...)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis