first time diy'er with questions

L

LostnProjection

Enthusiast
I was thinking of upgrading my cheap HTIB and I wanted to try to use some DIY speakers. I don't have a ton of spare time or money so I was thinking of using a DIY speaker kit. The kit that has taken my interest is the GR-Research AV1. I read two reviews for it that said it was a pretty good speaker and I like the idea of just having everything shipped to me and then assembling the speaker and building the cabinets. Is a this a good speaker to go with, are there better speakers in this same price range($200-$250).

thanks in advance for your input.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Check parts express dot com ... they have a lot of speaker building kits.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
LostnProjection said:
The kit that has taken my interest is the GR-Research AV1... Is a this a good speaker to go with, are there better speakers in this same price range($200-$250).[/QUOTE]The AV1 is a very good small 2-way speaker and the kit price isn't bad. The M-130 midwoofer in the kit is an excellent performer, and is one of the outstanding bargain drivers for DIY. The tweeter is alright, but you can get smoother sounding tweeters if you use one of Dennis Murphy's designs instead. See the MB20 or MB27 designs at his web site [URL="http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html"]http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html . These designs use the same GR Research M-130 midwoofer in a similar cabinet with different tweeters and crossovers.

I would avoid buying any of the upgrades as they are probably not worth the extra cost, but you might want to consider getting the shielded version if you will ever place these speakers near a tube-type TV set. The owner of GR Research, Danny Richie, (who sometimes posts here) is both fair and friendly.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned the A/V-1s and currently own the A/V-2s. They are excellent kits for the price. The tweeters are a touch on the soft side, but I like them that way. I also have had the Sonicap upgrades and Blackhole5 in both the 1s and 2s. Not doing the upgrade actually makes the speakers a little more crisp (if a bit less smooth) at the top, but IMO, the upgrade does yeild a noticable difference in the sound. One pair of my A/V-2s has the standard caps and I can hear a slight difference between them, but if you are going budget, these speakers still sound great without the upgrade. The midrange is the main reason why I chose them :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis