First Surround Sound Setup Advice

T

tomcool

Audiophyte
Hello All,

Been reading these forums for years for different audio/video solutions. Thank you all in advance for all the knowledge I have obtained from here.

I am putting in my first surround sound system and have come up with the following. I have a $2k budget:

Receiver: Denon 2113ci
Speakers: Niles MP6 Center Channel, 1 pair of Niles CM610's and 1 pair of Niles CM630 and then 1 additional pair of CM610's for kitchen/dining room
Sub: Polk Audio PSW110

I will run a 5.1 surround sound setup in my living room and then use zone 2 for 2 speakers in my kitchen/dining room.

What do you guys thinks?

I had thought about putting sonos in the kitchen/dining room but the budget did not work so I may add later.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am not a fan of in-ceiling speakers for home theater and
serious music listening, for front channel sound > The Polk
PSW10 is a weak sub, and there are better choices around.

I would at least, prefer in-wall speakers for the L/C/R fronts,
so the sound can come at you and not above you.

For a tight budget, Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!
has good prices on Denon refurbish receivers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You sacrifice so much with built ins, even the built ins that are very expensive and have the wall boxes dont tend to impress me... But for multi rooms it works, I have a bunch of them...

If its worth anything to you here is my advice for a system for $2000...
I recently went down this same road, and I listened to so many systems I was almost changing my mind about even upgrading... I am the type that wants the absolute best I can get for my money, so in HT I wanted a $3000 system that sounded like a $6000 system... And its tough to accomplish... But anyway, here is what I rec. for your budget...

Onkyo 709 $450 Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel 3-D Ready Network A/V Receiver | Accessories4less

HSU sub VTF2 $600

Ascend Acoustics 170se fronts, and 340se center, with 200se surrounds about $900 shipped

That is about $1950 but will sound really good, I own all the products {not the same exact emo amp but 4 others}

For in ceiling speakers I use Yamaha, search ebay for "yamaha ceiling speakers" there are some good bstock deals on there...

This will be the top of your budget but make one heck of a surround system... If you can strech it you can go dual 340s in the fron instead of the 170's which will cost about $150 more... But I use the 170se's in my office and they are amazing, very flat with real feeling mids, very well defined... Im listeneing to them rite now :)

IMO Ascend is the best value in speakers rite now, they sound so good they should cost much more.. The cabinets are vinyl covered so not the best there you can definetly tell where the money was spent making these speakers, its in the sound.... Not the appearance... But sound good, yes sir they do....

Last edited:
T

tomcool

Audiophyte
Thank you for the replies...really wanted to do all in ceiling speakers other than the center channel..guess I will rethink

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
I wouldalso very strongly urge you not to do in-ceiling speakers for the simple fact that for the money you sill spend the outcome will be very dissapointing. In-ceiling speakers basicall project a cone of decent sound roughly 12 feet wide. If it is a decor issue, at least do in in-wall, and for gods sake, get a good sub. Good Luck!:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis