First pic of the new room

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Swapped out the A-100 for the TP-60 so I can send the TP-60 back for service. I'm disappointed that it has an issue because I really like it. Occasionally when I turn it on, it does not come on, it just flashes and I have to turn it off and back on, sometimes a few times to get it to come on. It does the same thing on both inputs with different devices. It will work fine for a while and then start doing it again, so it is going back. The only thing the TP-60 lacks that the A-100 has is trigger turn on. It sounds very clean, is slightly smaller than the X-100, uses nicer binding posts, has a VERY solid extruded aluminum chassis, and a regular full size power cord. I may compare them side by side once I get it back from PE, but they seem to both provide plenty of power for my surrounds. A-100 rated at 50W, TP-60 at 80W. The TP-60 had no issues handling my older 4 Ohm A/V-2s at good levels.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have both amps {as you know} I am sorry to hear you have problems with your tp, that sucks, hopefully you get a new one and they don't fix that one...

Doing a vs between the two amps is tough, the emo is a nice unit and I use it to drive my evo2-08's with a wharfedale sub, they sound amazing and although I have them mounted on my desk they will push you out of the room with ease... I honestly like the topping better, but they both do a great job, I think tclass stuff sounds awesome for some reason, them little tri path amps have a great sound to them, I know an amp is an amp, but they have a great sound...

I now a gentleman running 2 mini x's for his HT, he has the volumes all the way up and runs f,l, and surrounds, no center, he says it is more than enough power, he uses a umc200 pre, I thought it was funny he chose minix's but he got one on ebay for $140 or so and the other on c-list for $100, so why not..

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This one was $150 new shipped, which is why I jumped on it :) I still have to configure the trigger, but for now it sounds great. I do think the TP-60 sounds cleaner, but for surround duty it is perfectly fine. My former surround amp was an Audiosource Amp300. Big, bulky and overkill for the surrounds. These two have no problem at all delivering more than enough power for the job and both take up less than 1/4 the space.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Finally found the box for the TP60 and read the manual. Flashing red light means it is going into protect, so this one is definitely going back.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Man that sucks, what are you driving with it?

I have mine hooked to my Wharfedale Dentons rite now and although they are near field it rocks them...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was running my GR A/V-1s which are -3dB at 55Hz and crossed at 80Hz, 8 Ohms and 85dB sensitive. Not terribly difficult to drive. No problem with them with the A-100.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
yah it should run them with out an issue, I don't know, first failure we heard about, we will have to keep an eye out for longevity issues, my brother has them I have one and I know another gentleman with one...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Something odd happened with the pic. Said it was in one folder but it wasn't, then when I viewed it, it was a completely different pic. So deleted and snapped a new one

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks great. Can't keep up, but the 2nd shelf is the new one correct? Which receiver are you now using?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Top is the UMC-200. Center is the Mini-X A-100 for surrounds and bottom is the XPA-3 for the front stage.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Got my shipping notice for the TP60. Not sure if it was a repair or replacement; I guess I'll see when it arrives. Should be here Fri. Most likely I will take it up to the other house and replace my PM7200 with this one because it takes up a lot less rack space and provides almost as much power.

zrtmatos

zrtmatos

Audioholic Intern
Very nice write up and love the pics to prove it really happened. I hope this isn't the end. More pages please...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dangit... The new TP-60 appears to have a problem too now. I've only been using it for about a month driving only my center. The right channel intermittently stops working and it appears it could be a binding post issue because wiggling the cable fixes it. I'm fairly certain at this point it isn't the input cable or the speaker cable because the other channel works fine. One other thing I noticed when I pulled this one out, this is like a "second gen" or something, because it is different than my first one with new machining to the front panel, different LEDs and switches. I'm a little disappointed and if I have to contact PE about it, am going to ask for a refund instead of another one.

Side note - extremely pleased with the X A-100 so far.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't had time to mess with the TP-60, but finally got to pull apart the second CSB-1 and found this:

Solder had popped off and it looks like it pulled part of the trace off the board too. So now solder will not stick to it, or at least I can't get it to :( Talked to Danny and he said to ship the whole board to him and he would try to fix it. These are the inputs, so basically power is not even making it in.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis