First Home(Apartment) System

B

Bosco1621

Audiophyte
Good Afternoon!

I'm a TOTAL newbie looking to get my first Home Theater System for my apartment (Living room is roughly 12x15 and opens to the dinning room and kitchen). I've been taking a look at Black Friday deals on full system packages (thought it would be a little overwhelming trying to piece together my own system) and ran across these:

Klipsch: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0S6-0033-000Z4&ignorebbr=1
Paired with this?? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0S6-0033-001U0&ignorebbr=1

OR

Harman/Kardon: http://www.harmankardon.com/HKTS+16BQ.html

I only began looking at these two because of the deals they had going on. I'm not even sure if they are really even worth a look. Of course I'd also need to purchase a receive for all of this.

Any input on the above 2 systems, or perhaps recommendations on different systems would be greatly appreciated! I'm not opposed to spending more money if it's worth the bump, and this system will eventually make it into my new house within a year or 2.

Thanks all!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you want invest on good sound stay away from any package like that. They will produce sound, yes, but won't get you far. For good sound experience you want good speakers. Do you have a receiver to run your speakers already? If not, what is your budget for receiver? And for speakers? If your budget is low it might be better to start with stereo and upgrade when you can spend more as I suppose your goal is to have 5.1 sound system?

B

Bosco1621

Audiophyte
If you want invest on good sound stay away from any package like that. They will produce sound, yes, but won't get you far. For good sound experience you want good speakers. Do you have a receiver to run your speakers already? If not, what is your budget for receiver? And for speakers? If your budget is low it might be better to start with stereo and upgrade when you can spend more as I suppose your goal is to have 5.1 sound system?

The original budget was *around* $1000 for the system, but after reading responses on a few other forums that has grown a bit. While Id like to stay close to the $1000, if the quality dramatically increased I wouldn't be opposed to moving to the $1500 range.

One suggestion from another forum was:

Kef Q100 at $299 or Kef Q300 at $399 from Kefdirect
SVS Sub SB12 NSD for $399 from SVSound
Denon S720 for $350 from Bestbuy, Crutchfield, Abt, Amazon and so on...

Kef's are on sale right now. Considering you get ID sub like SVS mentioned earlier.

2.0 - Kef Q300 @ 399
3.0 - Kef Q300 and Q600c @898
2.0 - Kef Q100 @ 299
3.0 - Kef Q100 and Q200C @ 698
5.0 - 2 Kef Q100 and Q200c @ 997
5.0 - 2 Kef Q300 and Q600c @ 1297

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
The SB12 appears to be sold out at SVS. If you want one, there is limited stock at some of their affiliates. Better grab it today if you want it (check Amazon and Newegg). It's a good sub for $399, so certainly work buying.

If you want to stay closer to your original budget, EMP Tek is having a BF sale on RBH speakers: http://emptek.com/BlkFri2016.php. My understanding is that their b-stock is typically like new quality, so I wouldn't hesitated to buy it. Is the KEF Q series better? I think so. But the RBH speakers are way better than the HTIB speaker sets you were looking at. They would make a great speaker setup.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The KEF speakers are very good. A great alternative to the SB12 is the Hsu VTF1 mk3, btw. The Denon receiver should be adequate, but there are many good AVR sales at the moment, you would do well to look around.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd go sub for sure. you can wait on a center until funds become available. that sub will make a noticeable improvement.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
I have them bookmarked. Says more than 10 available, hopefully that holds until I make a decision. They seem to be selling out all over the place at this price. I was deciding on this or center for now to stay semi close to budget.
I would be on them to sell out completely some time tomorrow.

B

Bosco1621

Audiophyte
It seemed to be consensus on several forums that I would not find the SB12-NSD for that price for very much longer, so I pulled the trigger tonight. Looks like I'm fully committed to this project now!

B

Bosco1621

Audiophyte
For speakers I would take a look on AA Monitors http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html You could get 5 of those or 4 and matching center from Dennis. For receiver I would look for Denon / Marantz / Yamaha that has all the features you will need. Here you can find some nice deals on receivers: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

What are the top things I should be looking for when picking out a receiver? I already see the Denon S720 that I was looking at is $50 cheaper ($299) on that site than anywhere else I'm looking.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

What are the top things I should be looking for when picking out a receiver? I already see the Denon S720 that I was looking at is $50 cheaper ($299) on that site than anywhere else I'm looking.
By the said brands you want to look for features you need.. For example wireless, preouts, amount of channels and so on. Wattage for example isn't that big concern unless you have really big room.

B

Bosco1621

Audiophyte
By the said brands you want to look for features you need.. For example wireless, preouts, amount of channels and so on. Wattage for example isn't that big concern unless you have really big room.

I plan on running (for now) KEF Q300's, SVS Sub SB12, and looking at the KEF 200C. Would the Denon S720 be sufficient, or would I need to go with the S920? I'd like to maintain the bluetooth, and also hope to expand to 7.2 eventually.

Last edited:
B

Bosco1621

Audiophyte
So far I purchased: SVS SB12 NSD, KEF Q300, and the KEF Q600C. I missed by an hour to get the Denon X2300 for $399 (still mad!), but I'm holding out hope that it either goes back on sale, or I find an equally good receiver at a great price.

I have one more (might be silly question?) to ask. Is there a major difference in cable when wiring these components together? If so, what should I be looking for?

Thanks!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

So far I purchased: SVS SB12 NSD, KEF Q300, and the KEF Q600C. I missed by an hour to get the Denon X2300 for $399 (still mad!), but I'm holding out hope that it either goes back on sale, or I find an equally good receiver at a great price.

I have one more (might be silly question?) to ask. Is there a major difference in cable when wiring these components together? If so, what should I be looking for?

Thanks!
No. Just get some basic 12awg OFC cable and you are good to go. There is no magic involved in cables. Just get thick enough OFC cable and you are good. For sub cable some basic shielded cable will do the job.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis