First day with my HSU VTF 2.3

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
That famliar feeling of waiting for the Fed Ex truck washed over me ... you know, that feeling that reminds some of those childhood days of Chrismas Eve or the day before a big vacation to someplace exciting.

Nah, that must be a frigerator for the neighbors ... eh ... it does say HSU on the side, but I have bathrooms smaller than ... omg how will the wife take to this?

I've done my homework and the wife has a new toy of her own (new Applie video Ipod) and she is too busy down loading her favorite TV shows to really have it sink in just how big this new addition really is.

I feel part joy and part concern over the size of this beast as it sits comfortably in its short term well packaged home. As I open the first layer of packaging I'm feeling a little better about things as there is a box within a box and thick foam between both.

My Avia DVD and Radio Shack gadgit hasn't arived yet so I feel no guilt as I quickly hook things up, set my Axiom M60s to small, put the crossover at 80 and the Subs volume control in the 10 o'clock position and fire it up with zero calibration.

Before I turn it on the wife is off taking my youngest to school and then straight to work. While it's true I love my dear wife I must admit I'm very happy that I'll be able to shake the pictures off the wall without any cold stares.

I turn on the TV and Star Wars in playing on HBO ... yes, it was meant to be. A smile slowly creeps on to my face as a captial ship takes after Hans and Luke. Just then my 21 year old daughter come out of the shower with concern on her face, but she soon realizes its daddy's new toy and not the feared Earth quake that is over due in southern California.

"Wow dad, I could feel that in the shower" (no where near my HT listening area). And just when I thought my smile couldn't get any bigger. :D

Surprisingly, the sub sounded nearly perfect from the get go (despite no calibration) with that real seat of your pants gut jaring deep bass hitting only when called upon and with great accuracy.

I put in Toy Story 2 and was rewarded with that real theater feel of deep confident clean base that brings you right into the movie. Ended up watching the whole thing.

Finally, it was time to try some music. I was sure that it wasn't going to be as clean as just 2 channel stereo. Much to my surprise my living room was filled with clean bass seemingly matching perfectly with my axiom M60s. Truely this was a match made in heaven.

Worth every penny. :)

Geez, what is it going to sound like once I get it calibrated? Oh my!!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
BASS DAMNIT, BASS. Very nice write up and congrats on the sub. Now get back to auditioning... A new sub has a different effect for me than any other single piece of gear, and yes it does feel like X-mas when you are about to fire that thing up for the first time :D

P

Peter Marcks

Banned
Excellent write-up, KC, thank you very very much! Have you determined a preference for extended bass mode (with port plug) or maximum output mode (both ports open)?

Thanks again

Sincerely,

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Excellent write-up, KC, thank you very very much! Have you determined a preference for extended bass mode (with port plug) or maximum output mode (both ports open)?

Thanks again

Sincerely,
I haven't tried Max output mode yet. I was quite surprised how musical this sub was in extended mode. Probably because I don't have a huge area to deal with and my room dynamics are pretty good (carpet, acustic ceiling, drapes, furniture and generally lots of stuff that is good to help the sub).

My room is about 11'x14'x9' ... one side opens up into a small dinning room area 10'x 9'x9'. The sub seems taylor made for me. I must of gotten real lucky with my settings because it sounds pretty darn good without having calibrated it.

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
Congrats on the new toy :) They are indeed a very musical sub. This is why I recommend them to other Axiom owners that can't justify the money with the EP series subs. The Hsu subs are a great bang for the buck piece of equipment.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Congrats on the new toy :) They are indeed a very musical sub. This is why I recommend them to other Axiom owners that can't justify the money with the EP series subs. The Hsu subs are a great bang for the buck piece of equipment.
Yes, I am thrilled. It is even better than I had hoped.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
congratulations, looks like a good deal for the price!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis