First build... overnight sensations

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
some pictures of the build so far

cabinets coming together

assembled cabinet with my first stab at a crossover..

Crossover complete, tested, and working... soldering job is ugly, its been a good 20 years since I soldered anything :p next one should be better. 14 gauge wire was a bit over kill, but its all I had. All and all I've learned a lot, and my confidence is going up for when its time to tackle my next project. I suppose I better finish this one first though.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Is that 12 awg wire?

For such a small speaker, you could have gotten away with like, 18 awg.. Woulda made soldering a lot easier!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
^^^^^In this day and age, don't discourage over-builders! We need a few more people who believe in building something that will last longer than their life time!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
It looks like you're using an Infinity subwoofer as a sawhorse. I approve of this.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the same wire in my A/V-1s and 2s. Proceed as planned :D

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I just seen those shiny Irwin clamps on sale at lowes, grab some more:D never cam have to many.
I love these Bessey Tools Canada for wood working.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
thanks for the input guys... late night at work tonight so didn't get to do the second crossover. after that i have to start the long process of finishing the cabinets and making them look nice so there wont be updates for a while. Ill post more soon enough though.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic

second crossover assembled.. this one is a lot cleaner then the last one.

boxes sanded with fine 320grit... smooth. Time to paint.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
All done
need some cosmetic touch ups but over all I learned a lot and I am very satisfied with how the project came out.
Acoustically they are amazing for my PC. They aren't as loud as my old energy satellites, but their tons is so much more warm and full, and they image better then my EMP's.
Here are some pictures.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Dang how did I miss this great job JC. Maybe one day I can get some of them tools and try it myself. Updated pics please. :)

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
here are pictures of the new desk top with new keyboard, subwoofer and amplifier...

I pulled sub out a bit to show the driver in this picture.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Nice! Which sub is that? and what is that cool orange contraption?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Orange box is obviously a pc case, and a nice one btw. Willing to bet that sub is diy

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Oh cool it looked like a heater in that position. :) I really need to get my PC audio setup soon. I already have the little amp and speakers. Soon come. :)

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
BSA called it...
Sub is DIY with this plate amp
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa100-100w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-802
and this driver
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss210ho-4-8-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-458
in a custom built .75cuft sealed enclosure.
build thread here that I never really updated. o_O
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/computer-subwoofer-build.92398/
PC is indeed the BitFenix prodigy case with a custom mesh front panel to allow the 23cm front fan to pull in cool air more effectively.
Inside the case is
mobo - gigabyte h87 ITX mobo
CPU - Intel i5 4570
RAM - 16gigs DDR3 1600 crucial low profile
SSD - Crucial mx500 240gig
HD - WD green 1tb
GPU - XFX AMD Radeon 7850
PS - OCZ 860 watt (refurb from ebay for 35 dollars when my 7 year old 600 watt started to die a month ago)
Keyboard - Corsair k70 with cherry mx red switches..
mouse - logitech g502

I want to update the gpu to something more quiet and get a small closed loop water cooler so the entire system runs more silently, but it is a constant upgrade project.
Maybe I should cut and past this thread to my pros and joes post..

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
question...
I run a 3.5mm plug from the computer sound card out to the RCA in on the sub woofer, then run an RCA cable from the high pass outs on the sub amp to the NAD receiver powering the speakers...
Would the sound be better if I ran the pc sound card directly into the NAD and then ran speaker wire to the sub in, then the speaker wire from the sub outs to the Overnight sensations???

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
No, leave it as is. Using the Hi level would mean that the plate amp would be controlling the crossover between the speakers and sub. At 6 db/oct, I think the NAD probably does a little bit better job and possible with steeper slopes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis