mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
I guessed this question comes up a lot here so I did do a search, but I got a LOT of threads by people that seemed to have a better understanding than me at this point having issues that I can't even get to yet :eek:.

I have a Yamaha RX-V1065 reciever that I purchased new about 3 years ago. I've never done a firmware update to it and today I decided to give it a shot.

I downloaded the newest firmware from Yamaha's site. Then, per the instructions, I transfered the firmware download over to a thumb drive, then I plugged the thumb drive into the receiver. I then went through the process of getting to the firmware update section in the advanced settings of the receiver. When I press "apply update", it thinks for about 2 seconds and says "Update Failed". I know my receiver is waaaaay out of date and should probably have this, but I have no idea how to go about doing it at this point.

Would someone be willing to help me figure this out?

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
You might have to reformat your flash drive to Fat16 or Fat32. If you are dealing with a zip file, you will have to unzip it and then move the files to your flash drive.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Before spending to much time on this: is there anything wrong with the way the receiver is working? If yes, look at the changelog for the firmware: does this firmware fix the problem you were having?

If the answer to either of these questions is NO then there's really no point in doing the firmware update.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
You might have to reformat your flash drive to Fat16 or Fat32. If you are dealing with a zip file, you will have to unzip it and then move the files to your flash drive.
I'll try that. I didn't do anything but download the file from Yamaha (which is a zip file), opened it and transfered the firmware update over to the thumb drive. How do I check if it's Fat16 or Fat32?

Before spending to much time on this: is there anything wrong with the way the receiver is working? If yes, look at the changelog for the firmware: does this firmware fix the problem you were having?

If the answer to either of these questions is NO then there's really no point in doing the firmware update.
The answer is definitely no to that on this Yamaha receiver, it works fine. But I also have a B&K processor for a different system, and I wanted to do this one before I did my B&K processor; which does have an issue that firmware is supposed to fix. I just thought I would do the Yamaha before since I assumed it needed it. Maybe I'll skip the update on the Yamaha and move forward w/ trying to update to the B&K Reference 50 and see how that works out.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll try that. I didn't do anything but download the file from Yamaha (which is a zip file), opened it and transfered the firmware update over to the thumb drive. How do I check if it's Fat16 or Fat32?
Windows PC: open up my computer->right click on the thumb drive->click properties-> on the "general" tab you'll see "file system:"

also, from the update manual here are some troubleshooting tips

USB drive is securely connected to the receiver.
USB drive is inserted before the receiver is powered on for the update.
The firmware data, RX-V1065_xxxx.bin is stored in the root directory of the USB drive.
There is no other data but the firmware data in the USB drive.
No folders are created in the USB drive.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis