Fire TV question...

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
I just bought a new Vizio M60 at Costco. I also purchased a fire TV from Amazon. My question...
I am still using my marantz nr1504 receiver, which to my knowledge wont process a 4k signal. So if I plug the fire TV directly into the the TV's HDMI out, will the TV route the audio signal to the receiver unaltered? The audio is turned off on the TV and I have a toslink cable running from the receiver to the TV.
Thanks.
-Chris

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you have the gear, go ahead and give it a shot and see what happens!

However, I'd suggest returning the Fire and getting a Roku for 2 reasons.
The Roku has both toslink and HDMI output so you can freebase 4k to your TV and send the audio to your AVR.
When you do a search on the Roku, it will show you search results for all channels (netflix, hulu, amazon, yada-yada),
I originally stated and was mistaken about:
if you do it on the Fire, it will return Amazon only. Amazon doesn't want you to know that you can watch a movie free on Netflix, or a dollar less on Vudu when you can pay them $$ for it).

As noted in post 7 below, Amazon apparently reconsidered their approach and a software update has "fixed" this issue!
At least that is how it was a year or two ago when I bought my Roku 3.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If you have the gear, go ahead and give it a shot and see what happens!

However, I'd suggest returning the Fire and getting a Roku for 2 reasons.
The Roku has both toslink and HDMI output so you can freebase 4k to your TV and send the audio to your AVR.
When you do a search on the Roku, it will show you search results for all channels (netflix, hulu, amazon, yada-yada), if you do it on the Fire, it will return Amazon only. Amazon doesn't want you to know that you can watch a movie free on Netflix, or a dollar less on Vudu when you can pay them $$ for it). At least that is how it was a year or two ago when I bought my Roku 3.
When is the last time you used a Fire TV?

I have the original Fire TV box, both that and the 4K have the TOSLink support and HDMI. If you got the Fire TV stick, then no you don't have TOS

• If you do a search now, it will also pull up more options than just Amazon
  • You can install Kodi on a FireTV you can not do that on a Roku
  • Amazon Fire TV does not have VUDU, so it can't compare against them
Roku has VUDU which I have over a 100 movies on, so it is nice to have, but my TV, Xbox, PS4 Pro all have it, so no need

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@KEW firetv > roku any day. But I'd go with neither of them and pick Nvidia shield TV.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned two Roku units and likely won't buy another one. Have no real complaints about my FireTV.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I hate all of them. The best streaming solution I think, is the Intel NUC. I use the i5 at Eagan. It is a fantastic little unit. It is the perfect solution for AV streaming. You can get anything. I have our VPN to server in the sky on it and can get UK TV and radio. If it is out there anywhere you can use this unit to grab it and much else besides.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
When is the last time you used a Fire TV?
LOL! Earlier today, but I bought it on Oct. 7 2015.

Glad they fixed those issues!

Apologies for using obsolete information, I just checked - apparently a software update has changed it! The Fire now lets me know that a show is on Netflix before letting me know I can pay for it from Amazon!!! Yea!

This is what mine looks like (no optical):

Actually that is also what comes up if I search amazon for their current model so I'm confused!!!

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
LOL! Earlier today, but I bought it on Oct. 7 2015.

Glad they fixed those issues!

Apologies for using obsolete information, I just checked - apparently a software update has changed it! The Fire now lets me know that a show is on Netflix before letting me know I can pay for it from Amazon!!! Yea!

This is what mine looks like (no optical):

Actually that is also what comes up if I search amazon for their current model so I'm confused!!!
You are correct I was wrong, I have the non 4k firetv which has the TOS, when I checked amazon site I cliked on their older model, which they are not selling, so Fire TV 4k does NOT have TOS

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis