finishing my basement

M

***Manny***

Enthusiast
I am in the process of finishing my basement (30L x 20W). I was wondering the kind of cables I need to install, as a minimum. The plan is to install a home theater projector, still undecided on which one. The projector will be at throw distance of ~12’ to 13’, with a max 15” if needs to be and the screen are going to be 72”w x 55”h. This should give me a diagonal are of 80” to 90”, depend of the model.

Any additional suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

BTW, I have allocated $2500 for the projector. I was not expected to have some many types/model available to choose from. So, I need help making a decision, please let me heard your opinion, experience, etc

:D

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Just to be clear, are you asking about cables in general and some focus on your projector needs or simply the latter?

M

***Manny***

Enthusiast
HookedOnSound said:
Just to be clear, are you asking about cables in general and some focus on your projector needs or simply the latter?

focus on the projector needs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would say that one of the main rules of projectors is that you want to be sure that you have some leniency in where you place your projector so that you can get the projector that is best for you, not the one that happens to fit your spot that you picked out for it.

Check www.projectorcentral.com - determine a budget and look at some projectors that fit your budget. Read some reviews, narrow things down some, then use their projection calculator tool to see about how far back the projector will need to be mounted. Also consider how far off the ceiling/floor the projector will need to be mounted so it lines up correctly with the screen.

A good option is to run 2" conduit straight down your wall and then put in a couple of access points you can get to later on if you need. This way, you can run new wires later if you need to, or you can move the projector closer, or futher if you want. This increases your flexibility in the long run and makes access a snap and repairs to old work much easier.

On the other hand - The Panasonic AE-700U projector has a great throw range and has received a lot of excellent reviews for a $2,000 projector.

For wires, I would run 1 HDMI, 1 cat 5 (for control), and 11 pieces of RG-6 for computer, component, s-video, and composite video. Don't forget your POWER requirements! I run my projector power back to my power center so it is on the same ground as my other equipment and is protected.

M

***Manny***

Enthusiast
Thanks for you comments very helpfull.

You mention to run 11 RG6 cable. Are the regular coax cable?

I am not sure what is a "2" conduit", is this like a pipe where I can run my cable?

11 pieces of RG-6? is this regular coax cable? if it is, what kind of ends will I need? Do you know a good DIY where I can find all of this?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Parts Express (dot com) has some stuff online.

Not "2"... 2" as in Two Inch Conduit. That is nice and wide and you can fit a lot of new/extra cables through the conduit later on if you need to. You can find a 50' roll of it at www.smarthome.com - Search 'conduit'.

There is no such thing as 'regular coax cable' - But, if there were, RG-6 would be as close as it comes. RG-6 is the standard coax cable that is run in new homes these days, but there are many different types of coax cable as well. A very popular type that you may also find is RG-59, which is sub-par for quality. RG-6 can be found at your local hardware store as well as Radio Shack. It will clearly say "RG-6" somewhere on the package.

You can terminate the cable with 'F' type connectors (standard type you see on the end of coax) then use 'F' to RCA (or whatever you need) adapters. This works very well and is very inexpensive. You may need to terminate the cables yourself, which will require you to learn a new skill and requires you to buy a couple of new tools, but it is a good skill to have and is not very difficult to learn.

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
Why 11 different RG-6 wires? Is that from system to projector or is that for his whole place?

j

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
sixdouble532one said:
Why 11 different RG-6 wires? Is that from system to projector or is that for his whole place?

j
I say why - but here are the details:

Computer connection = 5 pieces of coax. Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal, Vertical
Component Video = 3 pieces of coax
S-Video = 2 pieces of coax
Composite = 1 piece of coax

Total = 11 pieces of coax

I ran 15 pieces of coax so I also have some upgradability and audio if I want it. The price is right on RG-6 and the time to do it is DURING the build. Don't want regrets later for sure.

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
this is going to be a dumb question but why are you going with coax instead of lets say sheilded rca's and fiberoptics and the like? And does the coax handle those signals just as well?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis