Finished Setup... For Now

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not. In fact my team is pretty terrible, but I love 'em all the same. I'm a big West Brom supporter and mainly watch the EPL. I've been to the stadium and seen a game there because my high school coach used to and still does run these soccer trips across the pond.

That's sweet about getting all those sigs, but really crappy about the cleats :p Especially with how much those things cost and how much of a pain it can be to break some of them in all over again.

I know if would be a shame to hide those T-2's but there are some pretty excellent A/T screens that would allow you to make use of ever inch of that wall.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
I'm not. In fact my team is pretty terrible, but I love 'em all the same. I'm a big West Brom supporter and mainly watch the EPL. I've been to the stadium and seen a game there because my high school coach used to and still does run these soccer trips across the pond.

That's sweet about getting all those sigs, but really crappy about the cleats :p Especially with how much those things cost and how much of a pain it can be to break some of them in all over again.

I know if would be a shame to hide those T-2's but there are some pretty excellent A/T screens that would allow you to make use of ever inch of that wall.

I've thought about that a little, AT screens cost a pretty penny more though. We're still working on furnishing this place, the wall will have to work for now, but that's definitely a good idea, although then my babies are hidden :(. The Rythmiks are already hidden behind the couch!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've thought about that a little, AT screens cost a pretty penny more though. We're still working on furnishing this place, the wall will have to work for now, but that's definitely a good idea, although then my babies are hidden :(. The Rythmiks are already hidden behind the couch!
A DIY fixed screen using Elite or Seymour screen material is relatively affordable. If I had a room for a fixed screen I could have saved money compared to what I spent on my electric drop down screen.

If you really want an electric drop down, this one isn't bad and it's 84". It's one size down from the one I have and $424 for a tensioned electric screen is pretty good.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
I was definitely planning on getting a fixed screen. If I were to put the screen in front of the T-2's, the fixed screen would be a bit more of a challenge to implement.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I was definitely planning on getting a fixed screen. If I were to put the screen in front of the T-2's, the fixed screen would be a bit more of a challenge to implement.
Actually a screen in front of everything might be easier and it would allow you to go bigger. You would need to get the center up to about the middle of the top module of the T-2's, but then you could put a screen that essentially filled wall to wall width wise and very nearly ceiling to middle of the bass modules height wise. This would keep it from interfering with the sound and you'd get a huge screen. The only issue is that the projector has to be a minimum of about 11-12ft from the screen, otherwise it can cause issues with the image on AT screens. If you can get a PJ 12+ft away from a screen placed in front of the speakers, it might be worth considering.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Got a projector mount and speaker mounts on order for the rears. I picked up some AAL's that I think I will end up using in the back. I want to keep my E41-b's for something else where I can appreciate them for more than just rear sound effects.

Anyway, I had the day off today. A few days ago we picked out some paint for the room, so today I got to try my luck. First time I've painted anything so it took me a while to get started but I figured it out eventually. Here's a starting picture and an ending picture of what I did today. I've taped up the rest of the room to paint another day. Not going to be around for the weekend so I can't finish up. I also made a timelapse of it in case anyone wants to see. I thought it was kinda neat anyway...

Painting - YouTube

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Actually a screen in front of everything might be easier and it would allow you to go bigger. You would need to get the center up to about the middle of the top module of the T-2's, but then you could put a screen that essentially filled wall to wall width wise and very nearly ceiling to middle of the bass modules height wise. This would keep it from interfering with the sound and you'd get a huge screen. The only issue is that the projector has to be a minimum of about 11-12ft from the screen, otherwise it can cause issues with the image on AT screens. If you can get a PJ 12+ft away from a screen placed in front of the speakers, it might be worth considering.
I'm looking at a Seymour screen right now. They sell fixed frame screens and will even tap in some eyelets for hanging. There is a good spot I can hang the screen from the ceiling joists in front of the speakers. Thanks for suggesting an AT screen, now I have to buy a bigger screen! :mad::D

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
BTW, whats with the drop ceiling?
We just bought the house man, give me time :p. I can't do everything all at once. It's probably going to remain a dropped ceiling for some time. We have other stuff to do before I can put a real ceiling in. The whole basement has a dropped ceiling though. It doesn't allow the subs to pressurize the room very well and I can hear some of the tiles vibrating. I have yet to turn on the Ryhmik's too... (I'm only running the subs of the T-2's.)

All in all, we haven't used the room very much yet. We just bought a PS3 and have played some Portal 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 down there. The first time a grenade blew up next to me it scared the crap outta me from the sound.

The only movie we've watched is Fast and Furious 6. (Apparently there's going to be a 7th..? Enough is enough, I don't think I've liked one since 2 Fast 2 Furious.)

We're getting there though. We've been buying furniture for the upstairs as well, that's where this couch came from. We just bought it back in July when we moved into our apt and it's already been demoted to the basement. I'm not sure if I need to attach the shakers I bought a while back. I feel like the subs are more than enough as it is :). Soon enough, things will be done. As the title of this thread says, "For Now". It probably won't ever stop changing, it'll just slow down :D.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I wasnt critiquing :p, just curious. That's sweet though, getting everything all together. I doubt you'll need the shakers now that you're able to let everything run free. It'll be cool to hear how you view you're system as a whole now that you can really run it to its full potential.

I remember playing skyrim with the volume way up and having the whole couch bounce when a Dragon landed next to my character. Pretty awesome.

Until they start losing money or people get tired of their roles F&F will live on lol

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looking good there man. Can't wait for the finish.:D

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Finished up painting, got things relatively situated now. Projector and rear speaker mounts are on their way. Screen material samples are on their way as well. I'm all but decided that I'll be getting a fixed frame Seymour screen with their XD material and hang it from the joists up above the dropped ceiling. The tiles removed towards the front are where I'm looking at hanging the screen from - just in front of the T-2's.

There is also a tile taken out of the back where I plan on putting the projector up. I'm pretty excited to get all this stuff together finally! It's starting to almost look like something.

OKLAGMCRUISER

OKLAGMCRUISER

Audioholic Intern
Looking good! Screams can lights and losing the fluorescent. ;)

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Looking good! Screams can lights and losing the fluorescent. ;)
Yeah, it's on the list of things to do. Probably not going to happen for some time though. I need to figure out some sort of light to put in aside from the fluorescent for the time being since the light switch is at the door and the couch is not... The room is in the basement so it's literally pitch black in there with the door shut and the light off... Until the PJ turns on...

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
I managed to hang the projector finally, what a pain. I also got around to buying some speaker mounts and I mounted the surrounds (AAL's from Dennis). I mounted the mounts too high without thinking that the speaker needs to sit on top of the mounts, so I rigged a way to hang them upside down on the same mount. They haven't fallen yet and I've hit my head on them about 8 times, so they should be good to go! :D

Lastly, I made a stand for the center speaker to sit over top my receiver at head level.

Everything is in its place now. I've been in contact with Seymour Screens and will be ordering a screen this upcoming week t

Front

Front Closer

Back

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It looks great, and I'm sure it'll look even better when you're done. My only two suggestions are for the future. I forget how far away you said the seating is from the screen, but any distance you could pull the couch from the back wall without compromising viewing distance too much would probably help. The other suggestion has to do with room treatments. Since everything is so cramped up front, you'll almost definitely need some treatments against the side walls next to the towers and if you can't get pull the couch forward, probably some treatments right behind the couch at head level.

One last thing, if it's pitch black in there you may want to think about dimmable pot lights or something else either at the surrounding edges of the screen or way back by the couch. The reason movie theaters leave a little bit of ambient light in the theater and the reason why it's recommended is because movies can go from bright to pitch black from scene to scene so it helps to have a little ambient light in the room to keep your eyes from having to make those extreme changes which can lead to eye fatigue depending on the movie/video game.

In any case, looks awesome.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
fuzz092888 said:
I forget how far away you said the seating is from the screen, but any distance you could pull the couch from the back wall without compromising viewing distance too much would probably help.
The projector is ~12 feet from the front of the speakers, which is where the screen will be. I haven't ever had a screen as big as this is going to be. So it may be a little difficult to move even closer to the screen than it will seem. What is the benefit of moving the seating up a little closer anyway?

fuzz092888 said:
The other suggestion has to do with room treatments. Since everything is so cramped up front, you'll almost definitely need some treatments against the side walls next to the towers and if you can't get pull the couch forward, probably some treatments right behind the couch at head level.
I was looking into getting a couple panels about equivalent to the height of the towers - one on each side. Then another one back behind the flag. I figure that flag has to be useful for something other than looking good :p.

fuzz092888 said:
One last thing, if it's pitch black in there you may want to think about dimmable pot lights or something else either at the surrounding edges of the screen or way back by the couch.
I've been trying to think of a way to get some lights in there that aren't too bright or that I can hide. I was thinking of either putting some lights behind where the screen will be, so likely sitting on the Rythmiks controlled by the IR output of my receiver. I think something like that would work well...

My other thought was some lights on the ground behind the couch pointed upwards.

One, or both, of those I think would work well in the room.

fuzz092888 said:
In any case, looks awesome.
Thanks, it's been pretty fun to play with this stuff.

I haven't really done much in terms of DIY by myself. I've done a lot with my dad growing up like putting several rooms in his basement including the electrical/plumbing. I've just never done it myself so I don't know a lot of what I'm doing. So these little "projects" are a good way to start I suppose. I built that stand the center is sitting on. It wouldn't fly just about anywhere else, but I figured behind a screen it won't matter what it looks like. It's made of an MDF base with four 4x4's as supports and 2x4's as bracing to square things up. All spray painted black.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The projector is ~12 feet from the front of the speakers, which is where the screen will be. I haven't ever had a screen as big as this is going to be. So it may be a little difficult to move even closer to the screen than it will seem. What is the benefit of moving the seating up a little closer anyway?
Yea that would be pushing it since the Seymour people told me that 11ft was about the minimum for an A/T screen. When you're seating is right up against a rear wall with no treatments, sometimes you can get some harsh mid-high frequencies that "slap" off that rear wall right to your ears.

I was looking into getting a couple panels about equivalent to the height of the towers - one on each side. Then another one back behind the flag. I figure that flag has to be useful for something other than looking good :p.
That would probably work perfectly. If you wanted to you could probably build your own rear wall treatment and instead of using fabric you could just staple the flag to the frame, that way it would be taught as well.

I've been trying to think of a way to get some lights in there that aren't too bright or that I can hide. I was thinking of either putting some lights behind where the screen will be, so likely sitting on the Rythmiks controlled by the IR output of my receiver. I think something like that would work well...

My other thought was some lights on the ground behind the couch pointed upwards.

One, or both, of those I think would work well in the room.
You probably don't want lights on top of the subwoofers, just because if it's an A/T screen you'll get a little light leakage directly behind your image. You'd want more direct lighting that is placed and is aimed toward the side walls that gives you a soft glow around the edges of the screen. The couch lights would definitely work though.

Thanks, it's been pretty fun to play with this stuff.

I haven't really done much in terms of DIY by myself. I've done a lot with my dad growing up like putting several rooms in his basement including the electrical/plumbing. I've just never done it myself so I don't know a lot of what I'm doing. So these little "projects" are a good way to start I suppose. I built that stand the center is sitting on. It wouldn't fly just about anywhere else, but I figured behind a screen it won't matter what it looks like. It's made of an MDF base with four 4x4's as supports and 2x4's as bracing to square things up. All spray painted black.
It looks good. A little hard to see in the pic, but I've got the idea from your description. Hey whatever works since it'll be outta sight ;) Plus with that kind of construction you'll never have to worry about it falling off :p

So far your work looks good. Although the real test will be getting that drop ceiling out :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis