Finding something (speakers) you forgot that you had.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Getting ready to move soon and my brother discovered some speakers that I packed up a few years ago. I thought that I had already donated them.

They are the Sony SS-K10ED bookshelf speakers. They were made to compete with the Infinity, Polk and Klipsch speakers. Overall they did a pretty good Job. They are 2-way with a 4-3/4 inch woofer and 3/4 inch tweeter.

They tend to have a more detailed Polkish sound, and are easier to listen to than Klipsch. They are not as refined and smooth as the current Sony Core series.

The curved boxes are somewhat hollow with the door knock test, so I applied poly coating along the inside walls. I took most of the foam out and replaced with 1" nufoam poly batting and a square of 1/2 inch carpet felt padding. The dust cap also seemed to distract me with some ringing when I listened, so I also coated the dust cap with poly coating. And, I put some rope caulk around the the woofer frame. All this seemed to tame the sound somewhat, and the bass is really nice on these speakers. However, the Core series tweeter is better.

I like them and they are sounding better than I remember. The vinyl finish sure is better than the Core series. They use to list for around $179 to $199 a pair. I think I paid around $129 from the old Circuit City.
20161203_124150.jpg
upload_2016-12-3_13-36-37.jpeg

Last edited:
charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
I kinda doubt your story (on the price) simply because those look like Kevlar-woven mid-woofers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I kinda doubt your story (on the price) simply because those look like Kevlar-woven mid-woofers.
Doubts are free, no charge.:)

Circuit City eventually cleared out the SS-K10ED for less than $100 a pair

The SS-K30ED 2-way 6-1/2" use to list for around $270 a pair - then went on clearance
for around $160 a pair

The SS-K70ED tower speakers us to sell for $600 a pair.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I just found a pair of virgin radio shack optimus 12" car subwoofer drivers still in the box that had to have been there for 10 years or more. Don't recall what project I bought them for.

S

SWSW

Audioholic Intern
Too funny, I recently found a pair of jbl stadiums in my attic. Plugged them in and they sounded great. Well, not great but good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis