Finally going satellite.... recommendations?

J

jozeph78

Audioholic Intern
Well, I'm finally moving into a place which will allow me to get satellite.

Any recommendations between Dish Network or DTV?

Is there a particular DVR model I should look for? Do I need to buy a DVR package for the DVR or do I just need the hardware. Should I also consider TiVO(DirecTiVO)? I'm not a HUGE TV watcher but do like a nice responsive box and have to rewind live TV. Would I be better using a PC (Media Center) for DVR functionality. My main gripe with media center has been inability to change the channel without use of IR Blaster or Remote Relay which I consider unreliable (are they reliable?)

Any sort of info is greatly appreciated.

Yes I'm doing my own research but there are a lot of posts and I'm also finding a lot of OLD information, posts from 2005 complaining about things that may or may not be a concern anymore. I'm turning to the expert community of audioholics for any available heads up. I'm also looking for some direct end user feedback.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, I'm finally moving into a place which will allow me to get satellite.

Any recommendations between Dish Network or DTV?

Is there a particular DVR model I should look for? Do I need to buy a DVR package for the DVR or do I just need the hardware. Should I also consider TiVO(DirecTiVO)? I'm not a HUGE TV watcher but do like a nice responsive box and have to rewind live TV. Would I be better using a PC (Media Center) for DVR functionality. My main gripe with media center has been inability to change the channel without use of IR Blaster or Remote Relay which I consider unreliable (are they reliable?)

Any sort of info is greatly appreciated.

Yes I'm doing my own research but there are a lot of posts and I'm also finding a lot of OLD information, posts from 2005 complaining about things that may or may not be a concern anymore. I'm turning to the expert community of audioholics for any available heads up. I'm also looking for some direct end user feedback.
I'm a Direct TV subscriber.

I have two of their HD DVRs. You can no longer use TIVO with their current HD system.

My first HD system from them was Tivo, but the satellite receivers were not sealed and they filled up with water. They added a satellite and local HD channels. So I had to upgrade, to their latest system 16 months ago. When they changed systems, they fell out of bed with Tivo.

I live in an area were voltage swings are common, especially transient low voltage conditions. Their system seems very sensitive to low voltage conditions.

One of my units was on one of the three studio UPS systems and gave no trouble. The other was just on a surge protector. That unit failed twice and also took out the multiswitch and and roof receiver.

After the second failure, I put in a UPS at that location also. I have had no trouble since then.

I did not think their dish mounting was adequate, so when the tech came, I would not let him put it on the roof that day. I told him to come back the next day after I had done extensive modification in my machine shop.

So far it has withstood some very big blows and winter blizzards, without blowing down or getting out of alignment.

The techs are moderately clueless, and need leading by the nose diagnosing faults. I have also had to provide teat equipment such as powered high impedance volt meters.

The HD DVRs are not of the best build quality in my view, but then I'm used to gear of superior build quality. The ergonomics of the units are excellent in my view. Picture quality is excellent. Also with this latest system, I have had minimal drop outs during heavy snow storms.

That is my experience.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I am a Dish subscriber and I love it. The picture quality is top notch and the hardware is excellent. I have two DVRs; a VIP722 (HD) and a VIP522 (SD). They have both been solid, reliable, and they are easy to use and flexible. The VIP722 also allows integration of an OTA antenna so I can pick up a few locals in HD, which I also get through the dish, but the antenna allows me to record three programs at once (two through the dish, one OTA). :)

I have worked with DirecTV and I have nothing against them other than their hardware is not up to par with Dish. As TLS Guy's experience shows, they seem to be sensitive to voltage flucuation and they just don't seem to hold up as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis