Finally coming together

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Good to have you back! No wonder you've been quiet around here.
Yea, it was a pretty quick deal, which meant that we had a crap load to do in a very short time with very little help. But it's over now, for the most part. However, I had to leave most of my toys in storage. :(

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Source Technology Speakers
1.7 SMII
http://www.sourcespeaker.com/17SM.html

Cherry with a dark stain. These are B-stock, although the only mark I could find on either speaker is a tiny mark on the bottom of one. Measures about 1/4" by like 1.5mm. Wouldn't be a big deal to me, but thanks to it not being perfect for the person who ordered them, I get them at a nice discount. Also includes upgraded crossover and binding posts. Dyna tweeter and ER18 woofer. It's too late to give them a proper run through, plus I probably should wait until the neighbors leave with these paper walls. However, they sound pretty good so far :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow that port looks large for a bookshelf speaker. It looks like these would be relatively efficient speakers. What is the tuning frequency and sensitivity?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Wow that port looks large for a bookshelf speaker. It looks like these would be relatively efficient speakers. What is the tuning frequency and sensitivity?
I'll ask John. All I can tell you currently is what's on the website which is a -3db of 39Hz and a sensitivity of 89db/1w/1m. I know the woofers are only rated at 88/2.83v/1m. I have no idea what the specs are on the dyna tweeter. These are giant "bookshelves" though.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Here's John's response

Tuning freq is about 53 Hz. Vent is "large" due to flare that reduces distortion. Actually vent diameter is 2" to reduce air speed and noise.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks Fuzz. I do understand the purpose of the large vent, and I am glad to see a manufacturer that is willing to incorporate that into their speaker. It looks like a good speaker. That must be a very capable dome tweeter to have a 1.8 kHz crossover. How much does this speaker sell for?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Fuzz. I do understand the purpose of the large vent, and I am glad to see a manufacturer that is willing to incorporate that into their speaker. It looks like a good speaker. That must be a very capable dome tweeter to have a 1.8 kHz crossover. How much does this speaker sell for?
$1495 MSRP. IIRC, John only sells through dealers although I have no idea who his dealers are. Therefore, not sure what kind of in store discounts are available or haggling is possible off of MSRP.

Mine had some additional upgrades as well, but John never mentioned how that affected pricing.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
His website has some very interesting products, some very good drivers are used. Enjoy on paper they seem fantastic

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
His website has some very interesting products, some very good drivers are used. Enjoy on paper they seem fantastic
Thanks man. This is my third pair of speakers from John, plus a big a$$ center channel. Plus I've gotten to hear Walter's systems (@walter duque) a bunch of times which is all source.

Even John's proprietary WC (wool carbon) driver is fantastic. Worth a listen if you're ever in need of some speakers or near a dealer.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks man. This is my third pair of speakers from John, plus a big a$$ center channel. Plus I've gotten to hear Walter's systems (@walter duque) a bunch of times which is all source.

Even John's proprietary WC (wool carbon) driver is fantastic. Worth a listen if you're ever in need of some speakers or near a dealer.
I'll see if there is a dealer in South Florida or near St. Louis as I split time between them. Thanks for the pics and the write up.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
dumb trainer, dumb asian..........I'm not seeing a problem here :p :D
You have a point but let me explain.

A dumb trainer allows you to become lazy and ease off when it starts hurting. If you don't have better than average mental fortitude, towards fitness goals, you start have sub par workouts.

A smart trainer doesn't give you a choice. It follows the workout you load or the course you picked and your legs, heart and lungs have to keep up.

In real life, if you give up going up a climb you fall over, on a smart trainer you can pedal faster or slower but the resistance won't change; your animated you will stop and unclip if you completely stop.

On a dumb trainer you can just pedal slower and have less resistance. Human nature tells you to go easier when it gets hard so take it out of the equation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis