Finally coming together

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I just like it better. Does everything I need. Kodis plugins do not work anymore so I'm just looking for something to replace it and Plex Media Player works well.
I haven't used Plex in awhile, but Kodi is doing everything I need it to. Playing movies and automatically recognizing titles. For the time being I don't need it to do anything else and the app remote works well.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I haven't used Plex in awhile, but Kodi is doing everything I need it to. Playing movies and automatically recognizing titles. For the time being I don't need it to do anything else and the app remote works well.
Kodi takes forever to scan my new movies now. I've got about 700 in my server and it takes a while to scrape and update new movies.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Kodi takes forever to scan my new movies now. I've got about 700 in my server and it takes a while to scrape and update new movies.
Could it be that your computer doesn't have the necessary processing power for Kodi? I don't have nearly as many movies so I couldn't tell you. Mine are all on HDD's that are inside the computer and it scans wicked fast.

It just occurred to me that the thread title sounds ...

Was that intentional?
'Bout time someone picked up on that :D

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
Could it be that your computer doesn't have the necessary processing power for Kodi? I don't have nearly as many movies so I couldn't tell you. Mine are all on HDD's that are inside the computer and it scans wicked fast.

'Bout time someone picked up on that :D
Nope. My HTPC has plenty of power for being a dual core AMD CPU. Plex is fast whenever I do an update.

I think it might have to do with the plugins I've got installed. I'm going to remove them since they don't really work anyway.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Nope. My HTPC has plenty of power for being a dual core AMD CPU. Plex is fast whenever I do an update.

I think it might have to do with the plugins I've got installed. I'm going to remove them since they don't really work anyway.
I just downloaded Plex and PlexHT and I remember now why I don't use Plex. It does a piss poor job of recognizing my video files. Even folders named with their naming convention aren't being recognized. I do not have this problem with Kodi.

Even though it would be nice to use Plex because Plex will pass through the DTS HDMSTR and Dolby TrueHD tracks. I'm not sure it's worth the time and effort trying to figure out why it won't recognize the folders.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Spent like 2 hours trying to figure out Plex and get it to function properly. Finally figured out how to make it work. Decided it was in no way worth it. Almost changed my mind when I realized Plex would do HD audio. Realized I bungled a setting in Kodi. Kodi now does HD audio. Kodi recognizes all my movies without having to convert all the files into a single file format. Kodi stays, Plex is uninstalled. Kodi FTW.

However after exploring Plex a little, I can definitely see the appeal.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Kodi now does HD audio.
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that it was doing TrueHD 7.1 on my Mac (which is didn't do before that I noticed) after I upgraded, but it still wouldn't do DTS-HD 7.1. Perhaps I also bungled a setting, but I can't imagine what it would be.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that it was doing TrueHD 7.1 on my Mac (which is didn't do before that I noticed) after I upgraded, but it still wouldn't do DTS-HD 7.1. Perhaps I also bungled a setting, but I can't imagine what it would be.
I just realized that I had it set to Directsound instead of WASAPI. When I switched both the output device and passthrough device to WASAPI it opened up two more check boxes below and one said TruHD and the other said DTSHD or something like that. I haven't tried a TruHD yet but HDMSTR worked.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just realized that I had it set to Directsound instead of WASAPI. When I switched both the output device and passthrough device to WASAPI it opened up two more check boxes below and one said TruHD and the other said DTSHD or something like that. I haven't tried a TruHD yet but HDMSTR worked.
Where do you set that? I'm using 15.2. Are you using a newer beta?

EDIT: Are you using Windows?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I've found there's actually a pretty big market for a short Asian with buddha belly. Mostly Old Eastern European men.........
The real joke is my absolute zero comprehension of anything being talked about here but I was just checking to see if I could slip in a "Vista !!!" response. Nice, the way you worked that in.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Where do you set that? I'm using 15.2. Are you using a newer beta?

EDIT: Are you using Windows?
I'm using Kodi on Windows right now and it does both, but I remember reading that V16 beta will decode DTS HDMSTR. IIRC, v17 is sort of stable, and 16 is pretty stable since it's on revision 5. So I think you're pretty safe if you download the v16 beta.

I'm downloading it right now just to see if it's any different from the most recent Windows version.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The real joke is my absolute zero comprehension of anything being talked about here but I was just checking to see if I could slip in a "Vista !!!" response. Nice, the way you worked that in.
This should be right up your alley. Watching all your movies without having to get up and change the disc.

You're always trying to slip something in somewhere. We're used to it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm using Kodi on Windows right now and it does both, but I remember reading that V16 beta will decode DTS HDMSTR. IIRC, v17 is sort of stable, and 16 is pretty stable since it's on revision 5. So I think you're pretty safe if you download the v16 beta.

I'm downloading it right now just to see if it's any different from the most recent Windows version.
Cool, thanks! I downloaded it after posting earlier (v16, that is) and just installed it. I don't see any mention of HD Audio...but it wasn't mentioned in the other version and yet still played TrueHD. I'll install it on my Mini out in the living room and give it a go today.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Cool, thanks! I downloaded it after posting earlier (v16, that is) and just installed it. I don't see any mention of HD Audio...but it wasn't mentioned in the other version and yet still played TrueHD. I'll install it on my Mini out in the living room and give it a go today.
I'm not sure it was specifically mentioned in a release notice but I saw it in the Kodi forum. Someone said that they added it to the v16 beta. Hopefully it's accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Confirmed, there is a DTSHD option in beta 16.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I loaded it on my Mini in the living room a bit ago. It now shows DTS-HD 7.1 where it didn't before. However, on my Mac, I need to disable "pass-through" in order to get 7.1. It, and TrueHD, come across as PCM - but at least it shows up as 7.1. Granted, I don't know if it's the original 7.1 track or some mixed version out of Kodi...but it's a start. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis