Feedback from Turntable Gurus

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
I plan to add a turntable to my home theatre. I am looking at 2 models. I am looking for feedback as to whether the extra 100 is worth it to step up from one model to the next.

The 2 units I have narrowed it down to are:
Pro-Ject Debut III @ $299
Or
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon @ $399

Is the Carbon the only way to go for the better cartridge and the carbon tone arm and platter and ability to use better phono cables?

My only other consideration is a Music Hall 2.2 @ $499 the Debut Carbon reg price.

I want to go out and buy about 5 lps and figured the Debut III for a first time turntable owner since I last had one 20yrs ago will still be a pretty awesome unit w some music to get me started??

Thoughts as I want to pull the trigger soon. Will be connecting gear to SC-67 Elite w Klipsch Icon series WF34 and 24 centre and surrounds w an Emp Tek es1010i sub.

Thanks but please keep replies to items listed and nothing else. The Music Hall 2.2 already blows the budget so it would be a very slim option especially if it is no better than a Carbon.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I others have said that the upgrade to the Ortofon Red cart is more than worth the extra $100. Plus the Debut Carbon has the Sorbothane isolated platter, which helps it spec better.

As an alternative option there is Uturn audio. Designed and built right in Boston using mostly US parts and manufacturing. Spec wise, the more expensive options compares favorably to the debut carbon.

U-Turn Audio

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Any feedback as to whether the Orbit Plus with AT95E is equivalent to Pro-Ject Debut ortofon on-5e, are the cartridges equal. As it stands still seems the Carbon would be my best buy or a Debut III to save a bit since it's shipped free.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Any feedback as to whether the Orbit Plus with AT95E is equivalent to Pro-Ject Debut ortofon on-5e, are the cartridges equal. As it stands still seems the Carbon would be my best buy or a Debut III to save a bit since it's shipped free.

The Orbit Plus used to come with that cart, but for whatever reason they switched to the AT. FYI, with shipping they are exactly the same price $299.

Also keep in mind, nothing is shipped free. If it says "free shipping" the cost of shipping is already built into the price.

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Oh I agree on the shipping point. I believe the Pro-Ject is the better buy, tried and tested. For my first turntable and for the amount it may potentially be used I think a Debit III is not a bad call at all with some brand new records to go along w it.

However like you said if I get the itch good I will regret not spending the extra $100 for the improved Carbon. At $399 the Carbon offers a lot for the entry level and would I would imagine w my gear will be great, it is not something I need but more a want, as I have a few old lps I kept and have wondered when will I return to those. Now is an opportunity as we are moving into a new home and I have rebuilt my HT so figure may as well do it now.

Also the Orbit does not ship until March and to upgrade to a Blue1 cart it is $60 extra moving the Orbit Plus up to $359 and spec wise it is not equal to the Carbon at $399

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know if I totally agree with that last part about it not being equal spec wise.

PDC

W&F = +- 0.1%
SNR= -68db

UOP

W&F = +- 0.125%
SNR= -79db

I'm not saying I wouldn't go with the Project Debut Carbon over the Uturn for the same reasons you just quoted, but to say they aren't equal in specs given the numbers seems a bit off.

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
I don't know if I totally agree with that last part about it not being equal spec wise.

PDC

W&F = +- 0.1%
SNR= -68db

UOP

W&F = +- 0.125%
SNR= -79db

I'm not saying I wouldn't go with the Project Debut Carbon over the Uturn for the same reasons you just quoted, but to say they aren't equal in specs given the numbers seems a bit off.
Well I stand corrected, spec wise it is close but there are no real hardcore reviews of either Uturn TT vs the Pro-Ject Debut III or Carbon which have been reviewed very well worry.

I guess my question is at $300 which unit the Uturn Orbit Plus or Debut III because they are more equal than comparing the Uturn to Carbon.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I would get the carbon. If you don't, and you're like me, you'll always wonder.. Plus the red cartridge looks cool on the carbon :D
Cheers,Mac

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Decided to just get the Carbon and be done w it. Found it for a better price which really could not be beat. $339 shipped , took a phone call to try for a better price than the $399 and it worked, end cost $367 w tax

Gotta wait till end of Feb when the shipment is available but that's fine, got a lot of other stuff to deal w before then, white was available now . Musicians friend did a solid and if it drops further will match

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Decided to just get the Carbon and be done w it. Found it for a better price which really could not be beat. $339 shipped , took a phone call to try for a better price than the $399 and it worked, end cost $367 w tax

Gotta wait till end of Feb when the shipment is available but that's fine, got a lot of other stuff to deal w before then, white was available now . Musicians friend did a solid and if it drops further will match

Congrats. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Congrats. I'm sure you will be happy with it.
Yep looking forward to it for sure. Also got shipping confirmation as musiciansfriend got stop and my order has shipped so getting sooner than expected.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yep looking forward to it for sure. Also got shipping confirmation as musiciansfriend got stop and my order has shipped so getting sooner than expected.

Don't forget to send us pictures of the new set-up .

C

cisco kid

Audioholic Intern
Don't forget to send us pictures of the new set-up .
Will do !! Lots of crap moving into a house and closing on previous one the following week. Next move will be too old folks home or the bsmt suite! Can not wait to get it all done , bit by bit

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis