yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
What kind of cassette tapes does everyone use to record on?
I like my Type II TDK SA90's.... but I cannot find those anymore.....

Let me know what you like using :D My Yamaha tape deck isn't like a Nakamichi 3 head.... but it still holds it's own :D

Last edited:
yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Why am I trolling? I am asking a legitimate question about cassette tapes.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I don't even have a working cassette deck anymore. Why on earth would you still be recording on cassette tapes? CDs offer infinitely better sound quality and are cheaper than cassettes.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, I remember when I got my first auto-reverse Walkman. That thing was cutting edge, I tell ya. Ahhh, the Type II TDK SA90's. Can't count how many of those that I'll never play again.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I don't even have a working cassette deck anymore. Why on earth would you still be recording on cassette tapes? CDs offer infinitely better sound quality and are cheaper than cassettes.
1: Easier setup for me. My particular deck has two seperate input and output connections and for me, that means I can have one directly piped to my computer, and the other piped to my stereo. I can also dual-dub with my deck.
2: A lot easier (if I am making demos or am unsure of how the end result may be) to demo recordings of a group of instruments (I know I could do it on my computer digitally, but it's simpler to have a tape than free HD space).
3: I like the sound of tapes that are done correctly. Call me wierd, but I still love all my analog :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a nice tape deck too....in my garage gathering dust. I basically only have a handful of tapes left anyway, and have replaced pretty much everything with CD. All of my custom tapes were done from vinyl which I still have, so I didn't need to keep the tapes.

CDs don't really offer better quality, just better quality over time...CDs don't have the same wear factor that tape does if you are playing constantly.

AUtiger

AUtiger

Junior Audioholic
I have 2 Nakamichi's (LX3 & 480Z)and would love to part with at least 1. Haven't used them in a while. I also have dozens of blank tapes i would part with. Mostly Maxell II, IIs, some metals, maybe a few TDK's. Used to be into trading live shows.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I don't have a tape deck but I do have a tape or two I'd like to get in to another format.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
CDs don't really offer better quality, just better quality over time...CDs don't have the same wear factor that tape does if you are playing constantly.
Are you kidding? Maybe I simply never had a really good tape deck but CD's sound far better to me. I find the hiss of a cassette to be annoying and DolbyNR cuts the high end off even more than it already is.

It's even obvious to me when studio recordings were done on reel to reel tape. There is always an audible hiss during quiet parts.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'll give him the benefit of a doubt.

What kind of cassette tapes does everyone use to record on?
I like my Type II TDK SA90's.... but I cannot find those anymore.....

Let me know what you like using :D My Yamaha tape deck isn't like a Nakamichi 3 head.... but it still holds it's own :D
After all, there are some that still like to play 8-track tapes, but at least cassettes, given care and careful setup, can still pump out a workable sound and maintain a purely analog signal chain.

Over the years I've had a Teac A-40 (before Dolby), 360, and a R-400X (dbx) and ny "newest" from 1998 is a NAD 616.

But, even though I still have two active decks, I can't recall the last time I used them for recording. They do mostly playback of motivational tapes nowadays.

Given that, my favorites were TDA SA, which was supplanted by their SA-X formulation. Back in the day, I had my decks tweaked to maximize these.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I have 2 Nakamichi's (LX3 & 480Z)and would love to part with at least 1. Haven't used them in a while. I also have dozens of blank tapes i would part with. Mostly Maxell II, IIs, some metals, maybe a few TDK's. Used to be into trading live shows.
The Maxell's seemed to work pretty good when they first came out.... but I haven't used them in so long, it's hard to tell. (I hate Sony Type I tapes... btw... warbly sounding, just wierd tapes to get sounding right.)

I would love some metal tapes actually.... I haven't used one in forever and I'm sure the deck can handle it.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
After all, there are some that still like to play 8-track tapes, but at least cassettes, given care and careful setup, can still pump out a workable sound and maintain a purely analog signal chain.

I still like my Easy Rider 8-track tape :D :D :D
(and Carpenters, Earth Wind and Fire, Steppenwolf, Hendrix...ect :D :D :D )

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis