Favorite Sayings? Philosophy?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Listened to a podcast today on Confucius. Dumbed down for my benefit, he believed a society that was moral and polite because they wanted to be, was stronger than one that acted that way out of fear. Of course the warlords of the day, who ruled with fear, disagreed. So he was fired from an important government job, and died penniless.

What are your favorite quotes, sayings or philosophies?

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I like the random thoughts of people like Ambrose Bierce, Sam Clemens, and Bob Newhart.

Ambrose Bierce; An egotist is a person low taste, more interested in himself than me. Coward: One who, in a perilous emergency, thinks with his legs.

Mark Twain; Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.

Bob Newhart; I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
My dad had a million old world sayings. My favorite one.

Thank god for stupid people, they make us rich. We're not too bright ourselves, so we need as many as possible.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
"All information is imperfect. We have to treat it with humility." - J Bronowsky, The Ascent of man.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
"Closed Thread"

I just like the way that sounds every once in a while.

"A real man is not finished when he is defeated,
He is finished when he quits, Nobody likes a quitter so how do you succeed?
Simple, don't lose"

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
"If somebody's swinging a crowbar at your head, they've defined the terms of your relationship." Masaad Ayoob

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
You're not drunk if you are on the floor and don't have to hold on.

Anonymous

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, I’m drunk, and you’re a damn fool. Tomorrow morning I’ll be sober, but you’ll be a fool for the rest of your life. – W.C. Fields or Winston Churchill

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people. – H.L. Menken (this is the short version which Menken never said)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and to remove all doubt. – attributed to many including Abe Lincoln & Mark Twain

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. – Oscar Wilde

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Impossible to choose because I have an amalgam of different thoughts on life.

Respect mother nature, because she has ZERO respect for you.

When in doubt, FLAT OUT - Colin McRae (RIP)

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The phrases that I remember are not famous, but they've stuck with me for years.

"It's all in the eye of the way you look at it." - My Dad, at the dinner table when I was younger

"Speaking of ham..." - My Dad, again at the dinner table, interjected into a conversation that had absolutely nothing to do with ham

"If I was in a room full of man-eating lions, and there was one door, and you were the doorknob...I'd rather die than touch you." - Girl that I had a crush on in high school, said to me before French class

"Is this going to take long? I'm in the middle of brushing my teeth." - Girl that I had a crush on in college, said near the end of a our only short-but-exceedingly-painful conversation in which I had called her up to ask her out

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
"Of all the money ever I had, I spent it in good company.
And all the harm I've ever done, Alas! it was to none but me." --- Lyric in The Parting Glass

"Vegetables are what food eats." --- Unknown, but I like him!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin
Anything worth doing is worth doing right - Hunter S. Thompson
Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere - Van Wilder
Time is a precious thing. Never waste it. - Willy Wonka

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker - various, but I liked it when Willy Wonka said it :)

Do it right or do it again - me

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard Feynman

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis