highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I was in DFW area yesterday, Christmas Day.

The (record) high temp for DFW yesterday was 80F.

Seriously, Christmas Day and wearing shorts and a T Shirt, and that is pretty common every year. I had to kick on the AC last night!
AC at this time of year? How sad for you. :D

I was in DFW for Y2K, with the ice storm. We drove back after going out and cars were parked on the streets, medians, sidewalks,......we just drove and had no problems.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
AC at this time of year? How sad for you. :D

I was in DFW for Y2K, with the ice storm. We drove back after going out and cars were parked on the streets, medians, sidewalks,......we just drove and had no problems.
Yup. Sometimes, the AC is just as useful for removing some of the air moisture as it is for actually cooling down the house. I don't like being stuck to the couch :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you ridden a fat bike and/or a plus bike?

I wasn't really familiar with a + bike, so I did some reading yesterday. After reading up on the advantages/disadvantages, I think that I agree with you--a Plus Bike would likely fit my riding habits better than a true fat tire bike.

Now, I think the question may be--27.5" + bike or 29"+ bike?

I'm leaning more towards the 27.5".

$1500 is way more than I want to spend on this bike. It will be my secondary bike, and I want something much cheaper. I guess that raises the next question--How much should I be looking to spend to get something that isn't just junk? That's all I need, just good enough to be worth the $ and not complete junk.

Do you have any experience with bikesdirect.com? I see several bikes on there that look pretty good for the $. I did a little research and these bikes are coming out of the same factories as some respected brands (Trek, Fuji, etc).

In particular, what are your thoughts on this model?
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/275plus-fatbikes-mtbs.htm

EDIT: 1 More question for you--It seems that suspension isn't typical for fat bikes or + bikes. I'm guessing that it just gets too bouncy with both suspension and large tires? Even for the + bikes, a rigid fork is good?
My take fwiw

The bikesdirect bikes cheap out on components to hit their price points generally, this "Gravity" brand bike you linked has a very low end 8 speed gruppo and brakes that I'd be hesitant to take on a real mountain bike ride (for mechanical disc brakes only the Avid BB7 ticks my boxes). Kind of like settling for a small Bose Acoustimass speaker/mid bass module set? The frame is likely made in a factory that makes many brands, that's typical in the bike biz. I'd go dig thru mtbr.com for experiences.

Fat bikes may not have suspension generally, or need it, but plus bikes most definitely do regularly come in that flavor (mine is 6" fork with 5" rear travel). I'd still prefer a suspension fork personally but the added cush of the big tires may be sufficient for your style of trail/riding.

ps Just in case you haven't seen this....not saying the bikesdirect stuff is in this range, but....

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My take fwiw

The bikesdirect bikes cheap out on components to hit their price points generally, this "Gravity" brand bike you linked has a very low end 8 speed gruppo and brakes that I'd be hesitant to take on a real mountain bike ride (for mechanical disc brakes only the Avid BB7 ticks my boxes). Kind of like settling for a small Bose Acoustimass speaker/mid bass module set? The frame is likely made in a factory that makes many brands, that's typical in the bike biz. I'd go dig thru mtbr.com for experiences.

Fat bikes may not have suspension generally, or need it, but plus bikes most definitely do regularly come in that flavor (mine is 6" fork with 5" rear travel). I'd still prefer a suspension fork personally but the added cush of the big tires may be sufficient for your style of trail/riding.

ps Just in case you haven't seen this....not saying the bikesdirect stuff is in this range, but....
I gothca. Yup, I've seen that vid.

So, what would be the least expensive fat bike or plus bike that you would recommend. I will need ~21" frame.

There is a long ~45 page thread on the gravity over at mtbr, I haven't read it all, but it seems to be a fairly well received bike for the price, but people either immediately upgrade or upgrade as parts wear out or break.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't know what's out there really, I rarely look beyond Santa Cruz or maybe Ibis for myself. I think you need to decide on a fat bike or a plus bike, they're fairly different and there's lots of both out there....if you're thinking more 27.5/29+ maybe look at Surly if looking to save some $, maybe the Krampus? http://www.bikeman.com/BK3828.html

Might check with local shops during the winter clearing out bikes for the next season....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yup. Sometimes, the AC is just as useful for removing some of the air moisture as it is for actually cooling down the house. I don't like being stuck to the couch :D
If you remove those snazzy vinyl slipcovers, you won't stick.

I'm in the Milwaukee area, so I know muggy. I have been more uncomfortable here with 75 and high humidity after returning from Arizona during Summer, where it was over 100°F most of the time.

About 30 years ago, I met a friend for a bike ride at Lake Drive, which is about as far East as we can ride without going over a bluff. I didn't bother to put my bike on the carrier and drive there, I rode there from where I lived at the time. Stupid, stupid, stupid! We rode for quite a while and became very warm, so we rode through the sprinklers in one of the parks when we saw they were watering the lawn. We returned to the intersection due East of where I lived and he said "OK, I'm done". It was then that I realized my mistake- I lived over 5 miles to the West and the road is asphalt the whole way, it was in full midday sun and I had been riding for over three hours by that point.

Did I mention that it was 104°?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If you remove those snazzy vinyl slipcovers, you won't stick.

I'm in the Milwaukee area, so I know muggy. I have been more uncomfortable here with 75 and high humidity after returning from Arizona during Summer, where it was over 100°F most of the time.

About 30 years ago, I met a friend for a bike ride at Lake Drive, which is about as far East as we can ride without going over a bluff. I didn't bother to put my bike on the carrier and drive there, I rode there from where I lived at the time. Stupid, stupid, stupid! We rode for quite a while and became very warm, so we rode through the sprinklers in one of the parks when we saw they were watering the lawn. We returned to the intersection due East of where I lived and he said "OK, I'm done". It was then that I realized my mistake- I lived over 5 miles to the West and the road is asphalt the whole way, it was in full midday sun and I had been riding for over three hours by that point.

Did I mention that it was 104°?
That's when you suck it up and make that "call of shame" :p

My last bike ride, I made the call of shame myself. I have some decent trails about 1 mile from my door, some paved, some gravel, some rocks, some roots. Only 1 or 2 spots that are difficult to ride, so I don't carry my fully stocked Camelbak when I ride here. Got a flat, a thorn too big for the slime to seal properly, and didn't feel like walking all the way back home.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Have you ridden a fat bike and/or a plus bike?

I wasn't really familiar with a + bike, so I did some reading yesterday. After reading up on the advantages/disadvantages, I think that I agree with you--a Plus Bike would likely fit my riding habits better than a true fat tire bike.

Now, I think the question may be--27.5" + bike or 29"+ bike?

I'm leaning more towards the 27.5".

$1500 is way more than I want to spend on this bike. It will be my secondary bike, and I want something much cheaper. I guess that raises the next question--How much should I be looking to spend to get something that isn't just junk? That's all I need, just good enough to be worth the $ and not complete junk.

Do you have any experience with bikesdirect.com? I see several bikes on there that look pretty good for the $. I did a little research and these bikes are coming out of the same factories as some respected brands (Trek, Fuji, etc).

In particular, what are your thoughts on this model?
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/275plus-fatbikes-mtbs.htm

EDIT: 1 More question for you--It seems that suspension isn't typical for fat bikes or + bikes. I'm guessing that it just gets too bouncy with both suspension and large tires? Even for the + bikes, a rigid fork is good?
I have only played around on a Fat bike in the parking lot. I have passed plenty of them on the trail.

I have never put a leg over a +, but I have boned a lot of fat chicks in my time. People at one of our really sandy trails use them and they make sense there to me but I don't feel like I need one.

I would go 29" for more rollover.

I don't know on price. I have never purchased a bike with less that XX or XT and usually not less than XTR or X1. If I had to save money, I still wouldn't drop below LX or X7.

I would be concerned with the components on the BD bike.

If I went + I would go really high end full suspension as I would want it as nice as my real bike. If I went fat I would go HT.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have only played around on a Fat bike in the parking lot. I have passed plenty of them on the trail.

I have never put a leg over a +, but I have boned a lot of fat chicks in my time. People at one of our really sandy trails use them and they make sense there to me but I don't feel like I need one.

I would go 29" for more rollover.

I don't know on price. I have never purchased a bike with less that XX or XT and usually not less than XTR or X1. If I had to save money, I still wouldn't drop below LX or X7.

I would be concerned with the components on the BD bike.

If I went + I would go really high end full suspension as I would want it as nice as my real bike. If I went fat I would go HT.
OK, with the info from you and HD, I guess I need to step back and reconsider my goals and my needs to suit my riding habits. I can tell you for certain that I don't need XT grade components on my primary bike, much less my secondary bike.

Basically, I'm looking for a beater bike but something that is worth holding onto and upgrading as things break. Maybe my better bet is to survey the used market and the pawn shops. I did find a fairly new Specialized Hardrock at the pawn shop the other day for around $200! It was too small for me, otherwise I would have bought it on the spot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you for now just need to go ride a few different fat bikes and plus bikes and see if they do anything for you at all before going further....and buying used could be a great way to go altho you may not find a lot of choice in the size you're looking for.

I've never been a fan of having gear that breaks, rather have good stuff to begin with. In the past have largely stuck with Shimano XT with some XTR, SLX and even Deore thrown in (or Ultegra on my road bikes, with a little Dura-Ace, 105 and Tiagra thrown in). Interchangeability among my various bikes has also been something I've considered until this last bike....threw it out the window with the new plus bike and now have Boost spacing for the wheels and a SRAM Eagle X01 gruppo. Depends on your usage to an extent; I demand a lot of my gear and trust my life to it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, now that I've read some reviews on the X4 and the brakes, I see what y'all are getting at here. Honestly, for the riding that I'm gonna do on this bike, it may be fine.

These bikesdirect bikes are still better than the average dept store bike. But, the big kicker here is that I am 6'4" and 240lbs, so even my "light riding" may be too much for the low end components.

But, by the time you buy the Gravity and then upgrade, you may as well buy a name brand bike that already has the parts on it. In the past, I simply went into the bike store with a high enough budget for my primary bike that it was a moot point--the stock components are great even if "only" mid-range components.

I may end up going with the Gravity anyway, but for now I'm not in a hurry. I'm gonna peruse the pawn shops and the used market a little while, and if something good comes up for the right price, then I'll jump on it.

1 more question for now--Are even the low end disc brakes generally better than the old-school V-brakes?

I also like the disc brakes simply because they make it easier to get the wheel on and off the bike.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have v-brakes that stop very well with ceramic rims, maybe even as well as my Avid BB7s with small rotors in dry conditions but in wet I'll take discs (what made me go disc was a precarious downhill where my XTR v-brakes with ceramic rims just didn't cut it). I've played around with horrible cheap disc brakes, both mechanical and hydraulic, tho.

With the quick release on the v-brakes the wheel change is about the same, maybe even easier than aiming to get the rotor between the pads, particularly on a rear wheel while fighting the derailleur altho that may depend on frame and tire clearance.

If you're going to buy a new bike then get the best components you can, as it will be cheaper than "upgrading" piece by piece....very hard to beat the economies of scale the bike companies get on components. Better components help keeps resale value up, as well as safer and more reliable riding. Like a lot of audio gear, you take a big hit on depreciation as soon as you ride away.

I've yet to step foot into a pawn shop but wouldn't be the place I'd look for a quality bike. I'd look around for a while (try classifieds on sites like mtbr too), and hit up some actual bike shops if you have any in your area, some even sell bikes for customers on consigments or from trade-ins and you get the benefit of someone knowing what they're doing in going thru them whereas a pawn shop owner is likely clueless.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have v-brakes that stop very well with ceramic rims, maybe even as well as my Avid BB7s with small rotors in dry conditions but in wet I'll take discs (what made me go disc was a precarious downhill where my XTR v-brakes with ceramic rims just didn't cut it). I've played around with horrible cheap disc brakes, both mechanical and hydraulic, tho.

With the quick release on the v-brakes the wheel change is about the same, maybe even easier than aiming to get the rotor between the pads, particularly on a rear wheel while fighting the derailleur altho that may depend on frame and tire clearance.

If you're going to buy a new bike then get the best components you can, as it will be cheaper than "upgrading" piece by piece....very hard to beat the economies of scale the bike companies get on components. Better components help keeps resale value up, as well as safer and more reliable riding. Like a lot of audio gear, you take a big hit on depreciation as soon as you ride away.

I've yet to step foot into a pawn shop but wouldn't be the place I'd look for a quality bike. I'd look around for a while (try classifieds on sites like mtbr too), and hit up some actual bike shops if you have any in your area, some even sell bikes for customers on consigments or from trade-ins and you get the benefit of someone knowing what they're doing in going thru them whereas a pawn shop owner is likely clueless.
Yeah, I definitely plan to hit up the LBS's too. I've seen some decent bikes in the pawn shops, and now I've put in a little homework to at least have an idea of what I'm looking for. One of the nice things for LBS is that sometimes they will even do some fine tuning on consignments for free.

I think the key for now is that I'm not in a rush, but I'm ready to buy when the deal is right.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another LBS advantage is test rides, or at least any decent bike shop will provide such. Some even will rent or loan you a bike for a day of actual riding (rather than just a pedal around the shop's area) to help you make a decision. I rented several plus tire bikes before buying one (well in a manner of speaking, they were rental bikes but I work part time at the shop and for a local shuttle service so I don't actually pay :) ).

I kinda scoffed at the plus size tires until I rode several of them (all 27.5+, altho have been riding 27.5 for many years); they are a more subtle difference than you might expect and takes some serious fooling around with an accurate pressure gauge to dial in the advantages of the plus size. Nice thing about the 27.5+ is they're usually somewhat 29er friendly, too (altho can change bottom bracket height and angles a bit unless there's adjustment for such); I'd think at your height 29 would be the way to go.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Another LBS advantage is test rides, or at least any decent bike shop will provide such. Some even will rent or loan you a bike for a day of actual riding (rather than just a pedal around the shop's area) to help you make a decision. I rented several plus tire bikes before buying one (well in a manner of speaking, they were rental bikes but I work part time at the shop and for a local shuttle service so I don't actually pay :) ).

I kinda scoffed at the plus size tires until I rode several of them (all 27.5+, altho have been riding 27.5 for many years); they are a more subtle difference than you might expect and takes some serious fooling around with an accurate pressure gauge to dial in the advantages of the plus size. Nice thing about the 27.5+ is they're usually somewhat 29er friendly, too (altho can change bottom bracket height and angles a bit unless there's adjustment for such); I'd think at your height 29 would be the way to go.
Yeah, my primary bike is a 29er, I doubt that I would ever go back to 26". I've also found that I prefer a HT bike, so I really think HT and 29 is ideal for me.

Thanks for the mtbr classifieds tip, I haven't visited that site much and never even noticed that link on the site.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If testing the plus size tires, you might like this thread, think Mr Pivotless has a pretty good formula for pressures on page 4. Need a good accurate gauge at the lower end of the scale for this....I got this SKS.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
These bikesdirect bikes are still better than the average dept store bike. But, the big kicker here is that I am 6'4" and 240lbs, so even my "light riding" may be too much for the low end components.
Just lose a bunch of weight and problem solved.,,lol...

Actually you are likely at a good weight at 6'4". I have lost 23 lbs since July 4th and man, I am so much faster now on the bike. I have set 5 new personal time records at my favorite trail and it's just been like two months that I have been back on the bike after tearing my Achille's.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just lose a bunch of weight and problem solved.,,lol...

Actually you are likely at a good weight at 6'4". I have lost 23 lbs since July 4th and man, I am so much faster now on the bike. I have set 5 new personal time records at my favorite trail and it's just been like two months that I have been back on the bike after tearing my Achille's.
My philosphy--After I lose 10 lbs on me, then I can worry about shaving weight off the bike.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My philosphy--After I lose 10 lbs on me, then I can worry about shaving weight off the bike.
LOL I long ago gave up chasing the titanium bolts kind of lightening of my bikes as my own weight is far cheaper to manage than the bike's :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@lovinthehd
@ParadigmDawg

Any thoughts on either the Framed Marquette 27.5+ Bike (what they call boost wheel spacing), or on the Framed Minnesota?

At this point, we are getting better components than those cheaper BD bikes from earlier in the thread, but we are still well within the budget category for a fat bike or plus bike. The Minnesota can also run what they are calling "fatty slim" wheels.

Unfortunately, there isn't a bike shop anywhere near me that carries the Framed brand.

http://www.the-house.com/fat-bikes.html
http://www.the-house.com/alloy-boost-bikes-framed.html

On a side note, I don't think this is quite what I'm looking for, but it is a pretty dang sweet bike!
http://www.the-house.com/qseomd275bs17zz-se-bikes.html

And, something else similar, really reminds me of my 1979 Mongoose! My brother broke out his 2 front teeth on my goose! It became mine when I was around 10 years old, and my bro re-built it for me when I graduated college as my grad present.
http://www.the-house.com/qsebrp29bbs17zz-se-bmx-bikes.html

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis