slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I know we have several avid bicyclers on here, so wanted to get opinions.

Does anyone already own a Fatboy Bike? Something in the range of 3.5" to 4" wide tires?

What are your thoughts?

I already have a very nice Specialized XC Hardtail that fits my riding habits very well. But, I like the idea of a fatboy, and I would like something cheaper than my Specialized to take camping and stuff like that.

Of course, I'm in TX, so I can't even consider a fatboy due to snow. Maybe the beach though.

Am I better off just getting a cheaper mountain bike? Or go with the fatboy? Which one, cheaper is better here?

And, on a related topic, does anyone have any experience with Bikes Direct?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not much of a Specialized fan myself but I have friends who love to ride their fat bikes on all kinds of terrain, especially sandy beaches but also snow. Think they are mostly rocking 4.8-5" tires on Surly frames....

Think I've seen mostly nice comments about bikesdirect.com

I just recently went 27.5 plus with my last bike, running 2.8"s so fat bike light is as close as I've come personally :)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hey. Not to be picky about language but do you mean a Fat tire mountain bike (Fatbike) or a beach cruiser I think fatboy is a specialized model but that will be well above the price range you are looking at. I have friends who use those things in all conditions for trail riding. The are actually various sizes of fat bikes now. There is a mid-fat as well as a variety of wider bikes. They are fun to ride and open up some terrain that a standard mountain bike would not do well in (snow, deep sand).

Are you looking for just a hard tail model? Geared or single speed?

I am somewhat familiar with Bikes Direct although I have never purchased from them. The "retail" price they give before discount is always a bit high. I have always found a better deal else ware and never bought from them. Be careful of the model years of these bikes. Many are not current.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey. Not to be picky about language but do you mean a Fat tire mountain bike (Fatbike) or a beach cruiser I think fatboy is a specialized model but that will be well above the price range you are looking at. I have friends who use those things in all conditions for trail riding. The are actually various sizes of fat bikes now. There is a mid-fat as well as a variety of wider bikes. They are fun to ride and open up some terrain that a standard mountain bike would not do well in (snow, deep sand).

Are you looking for just a hard tail model? Geared or single speed?

I am somewhat familiar with Bikes Direct although I have never purchased from them. The "retail" price they give before discount is always a bit high. I have always found a better deal else ware and never bought from them. Be careful of the model years of these bikes. Many are not current.
Yes, I mean that I am looking for a "fat tire mountain bike", sorry for any ambiguity on that. Yes, "fatboy" is a Specialized model name, but it is also more than I would want to spend here.

I'm looking at Hardtail ONLY (spent many years with a FS Rockhopper, found that I now just prefer the hardtails especially with 29" wheels).

I would assume that I want gears, probably 2x8 or something along these lines, I really can't think of a good reason for a SS bike.

Yeah, I agree with what you are saying about BD, I've already made note of this. But, when I looked around a little more, I see that these bikes are coming out of the same factories as Trek, Fuji, Kona, Diamondback, and a few other respected brands, so that is re-assuring.

They seem to have a couple good fat tire bikes in the $500 range. When I look at bikes cheaper than that, they all seem to come in only 1 frame size per model, or some other deal-breakers.

I will need a L or XL frame (I think my current Specialized is a 21 frame with 29 tires). Any leads on a budget fat tire bike with a L or XL frame?

I would prefer Aluminum instead of steel.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Not much of a Specialized fan myself but I have friends who love to ride their fat bikes on all kinds of terrain, especially sandy beaches but also snow. Think they are mostly rocking 4.8-5" tires on Surly frames....

Think I've seen mostly nice comments about bikesdirect.com

I just recently went 27.5 plus with my last bike, running 2.8"s so fat bike light is as close as I've come personally :)
Yup, I'm on a Specialized Carve with 29" wheels, I think 2.1" tires, hardtail bike. I think that if you are gonna go hard-tail, then 29" is the way to go. I really love this bike!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yup, I'm on a Specialized Carve with 29" wheels, I think 2.1" tires, hardtail bike. I think that if you are gonna go hard-tail, then 29" is the way to go. I really love this bike!
LOL my lone "hardtail" has a rigid fork these days. All the rest all have suspension and are 26ers, altho I did put 27.5 wheels on my Santa Cruz Heckler 6 (7 years ago?) and mostly have been riding that. Too old for that hardtail stuff for a while now :). I just got a Santa Cruz Hightower kitted with the 27.5+ but will probably build up a pair of 29" wheels for it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am not a biking guy, but I take it you guys are talking about the bicycles I have seen around that have the really fat tires? So what is the story with those? Better traction on rough terrain or something? Isn't there disadvantages with tires like those, like more inertia?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am not a biking guy, but I take it you guys are talking about the bicycles I have seen around that have the really fat tires? So what is the story with those? Better traction on rough terrain or something? Isn't there disadvantages with tires like those, like more inertia?
Yes. A standard mountain bike will have something in the range of 2" tires or so, an old school BMX is typically 1.75" or so. We are talking about 3.5" wide maybe up to 5" wide tires here!

The real advantage is riding on snow, sand, mud. MUCH more traction on a fat tire, and you can run them at low pressure for even better traction too.

Like anything else, there are advantages and disadvantages.

I already own a pricey nice mountain bike, so now I want a cheaper bike too. Something for when I travel and go camping, just some general lazy riding, and something where I won't get heartbroken if it gets damaged or stolen. I would also like a fat tire bike, so I was kind of thinking about 2 birds with 1 stone.

Actually, I would like to have my nice bike, a cheaper bike, AND a fat tire bike, but I'm not ready to battle the GF on that one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Inertia is the not getting on your bike in the winter thing :). They are harder to spin up to speed, though, rotating weight is the worst kind of weight on a bike as they say. Fatter tires also have more rolling resistance. There's probably an audio analogy in there somewheres....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Inertia is the not getting on your bike in the winter thing :). They are harder to spin up to speed, though, rotating weight is the worst kind of weight on a bike as they say. Fatter tires also have more rolling resistance. There's probably an audio analogy in there somewheres....
Actually, down in TX winter riding tends to be rather nice! Not right now, we are unusually cold this week.

But, in general, the weather is cool to cold (it's fine once you get riding), and the trails aren't all grown up.

From about May to the end of September, it is way too hot and humid. We also had a very warm/hot October this year, still hitting 90+. Must ride early in the morning over the summer.

If you have never experienced a scorching hot (100F+), silly humid (75%+) Texas summer, then consider yourself lucky!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, down in TX winter riding tends to be rather nice! Not right now, we are unusually cold this week.

But, in general, the weather is cool to cold (it's fine once you get riding), and the trails aren't all grown up.

From about May to the end of September, it is way too hot and humid. We also had a very warm/hot October this year, still hitting 90+. Must ride early in the morning over the summer.

If you have never experienced a scorching hot (100F+), silly humid (75%+) Texas summer, then consider yourself lucky!
Got close once to living in Grapevine many years ago, even bought a condo, but the business didn't work out (fortunately I think :) ). I grew up in Illinois so the 90degree/90% humidity thing is something I'd rather not do again.

I like to head south for nice winter climes once in a while, Arizona is good. Not impossible to ride here in winter (Oakridge, OR), we're below snow level here in town; many of our best trailheads are further up, though. It's just been really cold/wet/snowy lately thus the couch inertia :). Our spring through fall is pretty epic, though.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Got close once to living in Grapevine many years ago, even bought a condo, but the business didn't work out (fortunately I think :) ). I grew up in Illinois so the 90degree/90% humidity thing is something I'd rather not do again.

I like to head south for nice winter climes once in a while, Arizona is good. Not impossible to ride here in winter (Oakridge, OR), we're below snow level here in town; many of our best trailheads are further up, though. It's just been really cold/wet/snowy lately thus the couch inertia :). Our spring through fall is pretty epic, though.
Yeah, DFW is far enough north that they typically get a little more snow than we do, but still maybe 1 or 2 days a year, maybe. But, that area is also right on the end of tornado alley, so they get some nasty storms, tornadoes, and hail storms more often there too.

Yup, we have a factory in Pheonix, and I do really like that area too. It's HOT, but it's a different kind of heat than the TX heat. Honestly, I can't tell you which is worse, dry and silly hot, or hot and silly humid.

Since you live in Oregon, have you ever made the trip up to Whistler, BC? If you haven't been there, then I HIGHLY recommend it! Skiing over the winter, but some of the most incredible mountain biking over the summers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, DFW is far enough north that they typically get a little more snow than we do, but still maybe 1 or 2 days a year, maybe. But, that area is also right on the end of tornado alley, so they get some nasty storms, tornadoes, and hail storms more often there too.

Yup, we have a factory in Pheonix, and I do really like that area too. It's HOT, but it's a different kind of heat than the TX heat. Honestly, I can't tell you which is worse, dry and silly hot, or hot and silly humid.

Since you live in Oregon, have you ever made the trip up to Whistler, BC? If you haven't been there, then I HIGHLY recommend it! Skiing over the winter, but some of the most incredible mountain biking over the summers.
Yeah, have spent quite a bit of time riding in Sedona, Phoenix and Tuscon areas. Can even be chilly in the winter :) but nice and dry for the most part. I just avoid places like Texas or Arizona from late spring to fall generally, too dang warm.

I did a nice tour of BC quite a few years ago before I moved up from northern California.... my stop at Whistler showed me just how limited my bikes (a 4" Heckler and a softtail Moots at the time) and downhill skills were (am more of a cross country/super D/enduro guy than a hucker/downhiller). If you get back up there try the Tyax Resort and do a float plane trip with the bike.....an adventure to remember! I've ridden most places in the west; spent from 2000-2010 just doing the mountain bike travelling thing (figured best to do this prior to a traditional retirement age).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, have spent quite a bit of time riding in Sedona, Phoenix and Tuscon areas. Can even be chilly in the winter :) but nice and dry for the most part. I just avoid places like Texas or Arizona from late spring to fall generally, too dang warm.

I did a nice tour of BC quite a few years ago before I moved up from northern California.... my stop at Whistler showed me just how limited my bikes (a 4" Heckler and a softtail Moots at the time) and downhill skills were (am more of a cross country/super D/enduro guy than a hucker/downhiller). If you get back up there try the Tyax Resort and do a float plane trip with the bike.....an adventure to remember! I've ridden most places in the west; spent from 2000-2010 just doing the mountain bike travelling thing (figured best to do this prior to a traditional retirement age).
On a different topic, I like Tucson because they have city ordinances for controlling light pollution. As a backyard astronomer, that is awesome!

Haha, yeah, I've been thinking the same thing--it would be nice to take a few years off work to just enjoy myself, maybe pick up an odd job here and there, maybe work on bicycles for a couple years, just to leave behind the stress of the professional world and enjoy myself while I can.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

I was in Abilene in August, 2001 and not one time did I think of going for a bike ride.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I was in Abilene in August, 2001 and not one time did I think of going for a bike ride.
I was in DFW area yesterday, Christmas Day.

The (record) high temp for DFW yesterday was 80F.

Seriously, Christmas Day and wearing shorts and a T Shirt, and that is pretty common every year. I had to kick on the AC last night!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
For just some sand and loose conditions I would go with a + size bike.

For true beach like sand or snow, go big or don't bother.

A very solid option would be a RSD Mayor which you can likely find for under 1,500.

http://www.rsdbikes.com/portfolio/fat-bike-washington-minnesota-plus-bike-colorado/
Have you ridden a fat bike and/or a plus bike?

I wasn't really familiar with a + bike, so I did some reading yesterday. After reading up on the advantages/disadvantages, I think that I agree with you--a Plus Bike would likely fit my riding habits better than a true fat tire bike.

Now, I think the question may be--27.5" + bike or 29"+ bike?

I'm leaning more towards the 27.5".

$1500 is way more than I want to spend on this bike. It will be my secondary bike, and I want something much cheaper. I guess that raises the next question--How much should I be looking to spend to get something that isn't just junk? That's all I need, just good enough to be worth the $ and not complete junk.

Do you have any experience with bikesdirect.com? I see several bikes on there that look pretty good for the $. I did a little research and these bikes are coming out of the same factories as some respected brands (Trek, Fuji, etc).

In particular, what are your thoughts on this model?
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fat-bikes/275plus-fatbikes-mtbs.htm

EDIT: 1 More question for you--It seems that suspension isn't typical for fat bikes or + bikes. I'm guessing that it just gets too bouncy with both suspension and large tires? Even for the + bikes, a rigid fork is good?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis